Store Bought Barbecue Sauce

Mallette

Have yet to find one that really works for me or reminds me of the best BBQ joints or home made. Usually buy Stubbs, but I rather doubt what is sold under his name now is what he made. 

Recommendations for when I don't want to go to the trouble of home made?

Dave

We may, but there are now dozens and I am very, very picky. Most seem to not be much different than Kraft..inoffensive, but hardly exciting. That's why I am asking my fellow BBQ freaks here as if there is anything worth a damn out there, I suspect you guys would be aware.

Dave

SBR isn't too bad, but sweetish. Haven't tried the other two. Not familiar with Lucille's either, but will look for all of these and see if one "speaks" to me. That works in almost uncanny ways when I am buying wine...but not so much with BBQ sauce yet.

Dave

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know it's crazy but I never use sauce on BBQ but sometimes on other things and sometimes on on chicken.

One of the few I tried excluding the ridiculously priced stuff that I did like is the Sweet baby Rays, Sweet and Spicy, or the original.

They make a few different ones but I think I have only tried 3 the last one was Hickory and Brown Sugar, I like the spicy the best. Any of them are better than anything from Kraft or other name brands. (that I have tried).

26 minutes ago, Mallette said:

We may, but there are now dozens and I am very, very picky. Most seem to not be much different than Kraft..inoffensive, but hardly exciting. That's why I am asking my fellow BBQ freaks here as if there is anything worth a damn out there, I suspect you guys would be aware.

Dave

Blues Hog, Rendezvous, and Corky's.  Just to name a few.  I normally make my own, cause I am picky as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rockhound said:

I like Sweet Baby Rays, Jack Miller and Oklahoma Joe's.

I don't like tangy, I prefer sweet.  I get Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce at Walmart and I like it for chicken and BBQ.  There are other flavors but I haven't tried them.

90c491d1-dfaa-40a9-8253-3c7bdf367105_1.8

34 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You might be able to satisfy yourself by adding whatever you think might help to something "stock," like Kraft.  Add things as desired, such as cayenne pepper, honey, vinegar, etc.

I wonder, Jeff. Perhaps my memories of the 50s and 60s are distorted. I recall sauces then I have never tasted anything like. I make a rather extraordinary Carolina vinegar thin red sauce, but can't seem to find what I am looking for in a Texas tomato based sauce. Here in my Texarkana a guy named Sparks made a Texas style sauce that was as thin as the Carolina stuff he packed his thin sliced BBQ round roasts in that I've never tasted anything else like.  And, of course, I ran across the more traditional thicker ones across the years that were marvelous. But now, even the better BBQ places with outstanding meat seem to have rather less than stellar sauce. Maybe it's just old and failing taste buds. 

Perhaps the quest will never end, like that for the perfect chili relleno, chicken fried steak, etc. But, I suppose it is about the hunt, isn't it?

Dave

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You might be able to satisfy yourself by adding whatever you think might help to something "stock," like Kraft.  Add things as desired, such as cayenne pepper, honey, vinegar, etc.

We did exactly that years ago, but changed to starting with a ketchup base instead, it was cheaper for large batches, and we were adding so many different things it made no difference in the end. 

At one point I looked up many recipes, just to see what were the most common ingredients and started using those to fix the ketchup base changeling it for how we liked it. I did the same for rubs, look up some different recipes, it's a pretty regular list of starter indgrements. 

Tried many things and liked most of them, I should do it again and keep records this time, it's not like you make it everyday so it's hard to keep track of. I marinate alot so I am always trying different things with that also.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Perhaps the quest will never end

It never really does, with cooking there are always ways to improve the taste, it's fun to experiment, and you can eat the testing. 

Well, sad I didn't get a picture of the brisket when it came out as it was pretty much textbook. The two 16 year olds cut it to pieces within minutes and it was being consumed before I realized I didn't get a picture. But here are a few from our Cossatot trip. Man, I LOVE the B&B Lump Mesquite charcoal. I get 6 or more hours of superb even heat from it in the Masterbuilt 7 in 1. And the Masterbuilt remains my ultimate versatile instrument good for everything from smoking to making morning coffee. 

Dave

_IMG5606.JPG

_IMG5605.JPG

20180713_142545.jpg

20180713_142348.jpg

20180713_142545.jpg

20180713_142348.jpg

_IMG5613.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

I don't like any sauce that masks the core flavor of the meat. Why don't you just use ketchup?

JJK

Because I serve others who like a good sauce, I like to chop leftover brisket with sauce for sandwiches, I like to glaze ribs and chicken with it...actually, quite a few reasons. I do not glaze brisket with it.

My dry rub is as follows, with various alterations du jour and per the meat in question.

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Dave

Might as well throw in the Carolina pork sauce. My Texas sauce is a variant of this with ketchup base.

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar (half and quarter cup water if you want less vinegar bite)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon of dried minced onion (2 or 3 tablepspoons fresh if you prefer)
2 teaspoons dried minced garlic (tablespoon of fresh if you prefer)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon or a bit more ribbon cane, Steen's, or molasses
2 tablespoons Coleman's mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons or so Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon smoked paprika or regular
2 or so teaspoons chili powder

Bring to boil at least long enough to reconstitute dried ingredients. Blend in pot with immersion blender to liquefy the onions and garlic, then simmer another 20 minutes or so

Dave