Las Vegas finest... pursuit video

Schu

Even the police aren't scared to bury someone out in the desert...

The suspects shot at the officers more than 30 times during the pursuit. The officer nearly wrecks a couples times.

That was the dumbest thing for the officer to do is to shoot though his windshield
His 9mm lost most of its power at that point and he was so lucky that the rounds did not bounce back at him. I’ve been shooting for over 40 years and when the 9mm was coming out for duty use that was the biggest compliment about that round. Thank god it did not happen to him
I’ve had 9 and 45 bounce back at me when shooting plastic barrels or glass. I’ve learned to wear a vest when doing 3 gun competition just for that reason

What is unbelievable is the officer yells "shots fired!" and still accelerates towards the danger!  You can hear the tension in his voice go up from calm to tense after he reports the first shots fired.

He empties his 17 round magazine (17 for 9mm) then is so freaked out he tries to put the mag in backwards!  He finally gets the fresh mag in and empties it again into the perp's car.

FBI stats say the typical gun battle lasts about 3 rounds and that the rate of miss for law enforcement is 80%.  You can see why in this case.  I think I counted 18 shots from his initial mag (so 17+1 in the chamber) then 16 the second time.  He was very close to having to reload again.  My son is in law enforcement and he carries three .40 caliber 15 round mags, one in the Glock .40 and two on his gun belt.

What true heroes these guys are for putting themselves on the front line like this to protect us. 

+++

One of the perps took the room temperature challenge.

Police said Miranda tried to reverse towards officers before he was shot and killed. Nunez ran from the vehicle and tried to hide on school grounds, before he was caught and arrested. He now faces multiple charges including murder.

Overall, the pair fired at officers 34 times. They were accused of fatally shooting a man at a car wash moments before the car chase.

http://www.wdsu.com/article/video-las-vegas-officer-shoots-through-windshield/22185111

One police car was hit by bullets twice and was knocked out of the chase.  LE used a shotgun at one point.  More and better details here:

Nunez exited the car as it was still moving near Hollingsworth Elementary School, 1776 E. Ogden Ave., and ran up steps outside of the school and attempted to enter, but the door was locked, Kelly said.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/video-shows-violent-police-pursuit-near-downtown-las-vegas/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

That was the dumbest thing for the officer to do is to shoot though his windshield
His 9mm lost most of its power at that point and he was so lucky that the rounds did not bounce back at him. I’ve been shooting for over 40 years and when the 9mm was coming out for duty use that was the biggest compliment about that round. Thank god it did not happen to him
I’ve had 9 and 45 bounce back at me when shooting plastic barrels or glass. I’ve learned to wear a vest when doing 3 gun competition just for that reason

I too question firing through the windshield. It was just not the smartest thing to do.

JJK

I applaud the officers for their composure in handling such a dynamic and dangerous situation. They took the fight to the bad guys and ended a situation that could have ended very differently for the public. 

Regarding firing through the windshield there is nothing wrong with this and most departments train to do so now. Your first few rounds are used to port a hole which allows the remainder of the rounds to fly true. There is no concern about bullets bouncing back at you. There will be some blow back from the glass but that's a minor concern given the situation. 

Departments are transitioning back to 9mm as a recent FBI study shows that current 9mm rounds provide nearly the same stopping power of a 45 but with the added capacity.

Aaron

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

Crazy people out there. 

Schu, what was the outcome? Did the perps die at the scene?

I left a link to the news story in my post with those details.

One perp took the room temperature challenge.  After being shot, he was handcuffed and later died.  After failing to enter an elementary school because of a locked door, the other perp was arrested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

I just don't get how utterly stupid some people are.

Hats off to the men with badges.

Hats off for sure. Not sure if I could do the job they do but I'm glad somebody can.

Sad that the men in blue have been vilified and denounced during the years between  2009 and 2017 leading to the deaths and assassination of many fine men and women just for being police.

I remember these two assassinated in NY while sitting in their squad car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_killings_of_NYPD_officers

2 hours ago, EmilC said:

I think the police overreacted. Couldn't he just use his stun gun? Or maybe just wait it out. Eventually they would have ran out out bullets.

Joking of course

thin-blue-line-usa-flag_2.png

The first law of the universe is never fire a gun at a police officer or you will be a very dead person.

JJK

37 minutes ago, EmilC said:

Sad that the men in blue have been vilified and denounced during the years between  2009 and 2017 leading to the deaths and assassination of many fine men and women just for being police.

Don't believe MEDIA propaganda hype! Most Americans, regardless how they felt politically during the above years, supported law enforcement and "the Media" made it seem like most Americans didnot. Everybody from the POTUSA on though Congress supported law enforcement back in those days....It could be argued that things have changed in 2018 but I won't go there. I support law enforcement from the police through FBI regardless who is in office. 

14 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

The first law of the universe is never fire a gun at a police officer or you will be a very dead person.

Unfortunately you didn't click on the link that was provided above: 

42 minutes ago, EmilC said:

remember these two assassinated in NY while sitting in their squad car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_killings_of_NYPD_officers

The reality is our police must approach every situation imagining the person they are coming upon has a gun--That seem to be where mistakes are made all of the way around where law enforcement and gun owners alike wish they made a different decision....My 2 cents.

4 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's a load of crap unless you subscribe to a media that is subject to expressing that opinion.

Find me one that doesn"t

Most Americans, regardless how they felt politically during the above years, supported law enforcement and "the Media" made it seem like most Americans were not.

True. Most rational people did but the fringe elements were triggered by the media and BLMs visits to the Whitehouse that they went from being angry in their mothers basements to outright murder.

Everybody from the POTUSA on though Congress supported law enforcement back in those days.

I have my doubts

...It could be argued that things have changed in 2018 but I won't go there. I support law enforcement from the police through FBI regardless who is in office. 

Good to hear

9 minutes ago, EmilC said:
20 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

That's a load of crap unless you subscribe to a media that is subject to expressing that opinion.

Find me one that doesn"t

I apologize for the above and changed my text.

Most Americans, regardless how they felt politically during the above years, supported law enforcement and "the Media" made it seem like most Americans were not.

True. Most rational people did but the fringe elements were triggered by the media and BLMs visits to the Whitehouse that they went from being angry in their mothers basements to outright murder.

If we start discussing BLM the thread will be closed. That said,  I understand where they are coming from. Unfortunately, when various political realities are vented violence occurs--this time it was the police. I blame media along with political crowd manipulation, which drives ratings and ideological battles. As an American I don't have to choose between BLM or the police. That is a false narrative that I hope to dispel. Insofar as your comments about the white house...Again, I could comment on current protests going on that I don't think are media driven and am sure that would close this thread.