Las Vegas finest... pursuit video

Schu

I applaud the officers for their composure in handling such a dynamic and dangerous situation. They took the fight to the bad guys and ended a situation that could have ended very differently for the public. 

Regarding firing through the windshield there is nothing wrong with this and most departments train to do so now. Your first few rounds are used to port a hole which allows the remainder of the rounds to fly true. There is no concern about bullets bouncing back at you. There will be some blow back from the glass but that's a minor concern given the situation. 

Departments are transitioning back to 9mm as a recent FBI study shows that current 9mm rounds provide nearly the same stopping power of a 45 but with the added capacity.

Aaron

That is so far from the truth. No way I would trust a 9mm to go though a windshield
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

LOL!!!  Glad I wasn't away longer.  I can only imagine the additional consternation.  

I was speaking in jest.  

.It could be argued that things have changed in 2018 but I won't go there...

but you did, but you did.

Whew! Okay,. I went there only after he said something I disagreed with and covered the entire term of the last President. You said I was "trolling him," and I wasn't.  My response was in regard to something I truly believe and he seemed wanting to engage and what I was trying to do is stay within what seemed to be tolerated...That's how I roll and definitely don't comment on mundane things...Why wouldn't would I? ;) 

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

Whew! Okay,. I went there only after he said something I disagreed with and covered the entire term of the last President. You said I was "trolling him," and I wasn't.  My response was in regard to something I truly believe and he seemed wanting to engage and what I was trying to do is stay within what seemed to be tolerated...That's how I roll and definitely don't comment on mundane things...Why wouldn't would I? ;) 

Yeah, you crack me up, man!  It really has become mundane, but old friends are still good for quips.  😉

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

That is so far from the truth. No way I would trust a 9mm to go though a windshield

A 9mm is fully capable of going through a windshield. I know, as I've fired many rounds through a car windshield while seated in the cabin and have seen many others so the same. No bullets bounced back at us and with accounting for the rake of the windshield accuracy is good when dealing with short ranges. Ballistics have come a long way in the past 20+ years.

Aaron

• Like 2

Aaron is correct and shooting from the inside out is far easier than the outside in as I believe I recall it having something to do with the laminations...9mm is no longer the weak sister it was once thought to be...as beaz1591 mentioned above as well...

Bill

• Like 1

Will take a 9mm some of the time. A .45 most of the time. A 357. auto over that. And as Dirty Harry said not verbatim, Seen 357 glance off of windshields thence, he carries the .44 magnum. (auto)...

Once again, physics it seems comes into it, at least on the scale talking about now...heavy.

YMMV

Yes if I was walking around camping in Alaska, would want a .44mag Ruger Blackhawk in my gunbelt most of the time and, if permitted, a 444 on my rifle strap. Cannot be too careful nowadays. At least you have a chance...;) Of course would not want to have to try to use them so, I stay out of the Alaskan wilds.

23 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I stand by my clam
TEST RESULTS of Shooting windshields and car doors with pistols and rifles
I’ve been dealing with firearms for 40 plus years and stand by my statement made early

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=504839#/topics/504839

I appreciate that you provided a link to some testing and can only reply that similar testing that I was present for matches up with what beaz posted...I would add that 9mm is not the be all end all but then really there probably isn't a handgun round that is...in the testing that I was at 357 SIG did keep its jacket and stay together better than non bonded 9mm jacketed rounds did but I think that is part of the reason for bonded rounds and remind that it was easier (but still not easy) to go from the inside out than the outside in...anyway...I think this goes to show how much stock you can put into field testing as an indicator or actual field performance...

Bill

• Like 2

Like a good pursuit video as long as no one gets hurt. Forgot how many were watching the OJ white Bronco chase but cannot conceive there were any casualties related to the traffic.

The very much more recent white Dodge Challenger(?) chase from near Houston to near Beaumont was a wild and wooly thing to behold. Actually outrunning the news choppers towards the end of chase. The eluding for awhile of the inevitable capture. Almost as some brought up, a remake of The Vanishing Point. We have a couple of historical chase stories from years past where the drivers actually got away. One is a Tallahassee and one is a nearby smaller city involving possibly a brother. It will remain a mystery to some, but have heard the story from witnesses. Cheers!

• Thanks 1