La scala cable replacement

That was my tongue in cheek way of saying you have stumbled into a twilight zone of "wire = wire".........

IMHO, ideally you could use the same internal wire as the external wire you currently use. If that's cost prohibitive, some good OFC solid core wire  of appropriate gauge would work fine.

Just so you know, I am in the minority that believes all cables (speaker, interconnect, power) are NOT created equal. Pick your poison......

Shakey

• Like 2

I would suggest 16 awg in Oxygen Free Copper (OFC).  Look for the OFC on the ad, if the wire doesn't spell out OFC it is the cheaper Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA ).

+++

Monoprice does not have a 16 awg in OFC.

Could somebody click on my link below and see if it works?  The Knu website does not open for me.  I have pop-ups blocked in my browser and a lot of filters enabled on my router and sometimes I think I block content that I want to come through.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I would suggest 16 awg in Oxygen Free Copper (OFC).  Look for the OFC on the ad, if the wire doesn't spell out OFC it is the cheaper Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA ).

+++

Monoprice does not have a 16 awg in OFC.

Could somebody click on my link below and see if it works?  The Knu website does not open for me.  I have pop-ups blocked in my browser and a lot of filters enabled on my router and sometimes I think I block content that I want to come through.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/

works for me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

works for me

Thanks, Jim.

I've been to the site many times but now it doesn't work with three different browsers leading me to believe I have my router's firewall locked down a little too far.  I am extremely edgy about identity theft, hacks, junk email and spam.

52 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

That was my tongue in cheek way of saying you have stumbled into a twilight zone of "wire = wire".........

IMHO, ideally you could use the same internal wire as the external wire you currently use. If that's cost prohibitive, some good OFC solid core wire  of appropriate gauge would work fine.

Just so you know, I am in the minority that believes all cables (speaker, interconnect, power) are NOT created equal. Pick your poison......

Shakey

And, just so you know.....No one ever said that ALL cables are created equal.  That is the perspective that you have taken based on a very small sampling of conversations that have occurred regarding this subject.  IMHO, there is certainly a point of diminishing return based on construction and price.

And, I agree with WCD, Mogami is very good....not exactly cheap, but well made.

• Like 3

IMHO, there is certainly a point of diminishing return based on construction and price

AGREED

Mogami isn't dirt cheap, but you won't need logn lengths of it for the short runs of rewiring a speaker and you don't need large AWG.   won't cost much at all 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

And, just so you know.....No one ever said that ALL cables are created equal.  That is the perspective that you have taken based on a very small sampling of conversations that have occurred regarding this subject.  IMHO, there is certainly a point of diminishing return based on construction and price.

And, I agree with WCD, Mogami is very good....not exactly cheap, but well made.

No one ever said that ALL cables are created equal

By your own admission, someone has said it.

....small sampling of conversations that have occurred regarding this subject.

The sampling is NOT small. Take a poll. Zip cord is the name of the game around here.

I agree there is diminishing returns with cables. Just like anything else under the sun.

Shakey

BTW, I am using a bi-wire run of the Knuconceptz 12 gauge cables too. I think it's great. I will probably rewire my khorns with the same stuff soon......

1 minute ago, Shakeydeal said:

The sampling is NOT small. Take a poll. Zip cord is the name of the game around here.

That might make a good forum poll.

I think there is a solid group, particularly Klipsch owners who think lamp cord is all we need, just because PWK said it.  I think there is also a substantial group who think cables are not all made equal, and more importantly that the sound quality is different from one cable to another.

The exact percentage I don't know.

+++

I really like the way Jim characterized the difference in cables as being a degree of diminishing returns.  That is very well stated and it reflects my view as well.  I just didn't have the words to say it as well as he did.

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

That might make a good forum poll.

I think there is a solid group, particularly Klipsch owners who think lamp cord is all we need, just because PWK said it.  I think there is also a substantial group who think cables are not all made equal, and more importantly that the sound quality is different from one cable to another.

The exact percentage I don't know.

+++

I really like the way Jim characterized the difference in cables as being a degree of diminishing returns.  That is very well stated and it reflects my view as well.  I just didn't have the words to say it as well as he did.

I can't see spending thousands of dollars on speaker cables in my modestly priced system. However I have heard differences between speaker cables that were north of 500.00 a pair and chose the ones that best fit my taste. And I have heard some that were downright unlistenable. The take away is that cables are system dependent and can be the icing on the cake when everything else has been sorted out.

Shakey

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I can't see spending thousands of dollars on speaker cables in my modestly priced system. However I have heard differences between speaker cables that were north of 500.00 a pair and chose the ones that best fit my taste. And I have heard some that were downright unlistenable. The take away is that cables are system dependent and can be the icing on the cake when everything else has been sorted out.

Shakey

If you have specific recommendations either for or against a brand or type, please go ahead