La scala cable replacement

Stefano,

You've never heard me try Italiano. 

The woofer access panel in on the bottom held on with about 10 screws.

As to cables, there are 3 electrical properties cables have: resistance, capacitance and inductance.  The shorter the wire the lower each of the properties becomes.  If you are replacing the internal wiring, you can easily reduce the resistance, but if the lengths are similar capacitance and inductance will not change much (teflon insulation and braided wires will help with that).  

16 gauge wire is 0.0132 ohms/meter

10 gauge wire is 0.00328 ohms/m

With 4x the area, and stiffness, 10 ga wire will reduce the internal wiring's resistance by about 0.02 ohms for 2 meters, about the length of each of the woofer wires.  Not worth the trouble to me.   

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 7:49 PM, JohnA said:

You've never heard me try Italiano. 

The woofer access panel in on the bottom held on with about 10 screws.

As to cables, there are 3 electrical properties cables have: resistance, capacitance and inductance.  The shorter the wire the lower each of the properties becomes.  If you are replacing the internal wiring, you can easily reduce the resistance, but if the lengths are similar capacitance and inductance will not change much (teflon insulation and braided wires will help with that).  

16 gauge wire is 0.0132 ohms/meter

10 gauge wire is 0.00328 ohms/m

With 4x the area, and stiffness, 10 ga wire will reduce the internal wiring's resistance by about 0.02 ohms for 2 meters, about the length of each of the woofer wires.  Not worth the trouble to me.   

Thank you very much for you replay,

I noted all you explained to me.

On 7/22/2018 at 9:37 PM, Tony Whitlow said:

My question is why replace the wiring? If they work the wiring is fine.

Because my idea is to replaice the crossover and the cable.

BR

Stefano

Back in the early 80s when I had my LaScalas... I bought 12 gauge Monster Cable which is about the same as Monoprice IMO, and is what I would buy now (Monoprice).

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk