Heresy HWL

Todd

I just inherited two Klipsch Heresy HWL serial # 8444004, inspected by Robert Wyatt. I know HWL stands for Heresy Walnut Lacquer, but I would really like to know the date they were made and the value. They sound great with my inherited Kenwood stereo receiver model KR-9400. Both old school, maybe 70's. The wood is a little scratched but has been stored indoors. I might keep or might sell. I can post a pic if anyone is interested. Thanks.

IMG_3665.JPG

Edited by Todd
add photo

Made in 1984, value is dependent on condition of speakers and what somebody is willing to pay for them.  I see that they have veneer issues which immediately drops the value due to them needing that repaired.  More pics of them will help determine approximate value based upon recent purchases of Heresys from that era, to include pics of the back panels.  I would just keep them, because buying new is extremely costly nowadays....while selling used and less than pristine will not even put much money in your pocket.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Made in 1984, value is dependent on condition of speakers and what somebody is willing to pay for them.  I see that they have veneer issues which immediately drops the value due to them needing that repaired.  More pics of them will help determine approximate value based upon recent purchases of Heresys from that era, to include pics of the back panels.  I would just keep them, because buying new is extremely costly nowadays....while selling used and less than pristine will not even put much money in your pocket.  It is what it is.

Thanks, I will probably keep them. They sound great and 84 was a pretty good year.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:01 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Agree with Andy on this.    You could use some wood filler on  the missing veneer spots, or just a stain marking pen, but I would keep them and enjoy.  And, what the hell....turn them up....

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Agree with Andy on this.    You could use some wood filler on  the missing veneer spots, or just a stain marking pen, but I would keep them and enjoy.  And, what the hell....turn them up....

You can buy the iron-on walnut veneer for the front edges, but if the sides and tops have issues it al depends on how bad they are to determine if re-finishing is an option, AFTER you remove and re-apply the new front edge veneer.  Lowes used to have that in black walnut, red oak and birch, but not sure if they still keep it in stock or whether you will need to go to Lowe's online to get it.  You can also give Woodworkers Supply a look for it, probably cheaper than the Lowes price, though.

And even if you can't find the walnut veneer edging, you can actually use birch, instead and STAIN it with black walnut stain, and few will ever know it is NOT black walnut veneer edging.  Birch is the most popular veneer on plywood for a reason: it can be stained to look like a number of other hardwoods, such as cherry, black walnut, maple, etc. (but it NEVER looks like oak of any kind!  Using any kind of stain! LOL!).  Lowes has the birch edge banding in their online store, it just depends on whether your local store has it in stock or not! 

Believe it or not those scratches will come out and they can be nicely refinished. 

So others won't click on the thread trying to buy them, you might want to edit your thread headline to reflect the speakers are Not For Sale, or something to that effect. 

Glad you decided to keep them.  👍

On 7/26/2018 at 8:58 PM, wvu80 said:

Believe it or not those scratches will come out and they can be nicely refinished. 

So others won't click on the thread trying to buy them, you might want to edit your thread headline to reflect the speakers are Not For Sale, or something to that effect. 

On 7/26/2018 at 8:58 PM, wvu80 said:

I said PROBABLY going to keep. I didn't say they're not for sale. Someone may want them more than me. Thanks for the advice on the wood. I'm going to do a lot of research before I start. I have a friend that's a wood person and I will talk to him before I start.

3 hours ago, Todd said:

I said PROBABLY going to keep. I didn't say they're not for sale. Someone may want them more than me. Thanks for the advice on the wood. I'm going to do a lot of research before I start. I have a friend that's a wood person and I will talk to him before I start.

Then be sure to modify your headline to read "MAYBE for Sale."  :lol:

+++

Good idea to consult your buddy the woodworker.  I'm sure he can give you some guidance but If he can't help you out there are plenty of people here who refinish cabs.  I refurbed my CF-4's in Med Oak but I am by no means an expert or authority on the subject.

Here is my detailed refurb thread, Med Oak veneer  with deep scratches and water rings.

@mustang guy did a miracle restoration on these beater La Scala's: