Help with banana plugs

Hi everybody, new comer here for this forum. 

I've had several surround sound setups for my family room, but have made changes to a Klipsch Reference setup (it's what my budget allowed), but have for the first time decided to connect my speakers via banana plugs.  I picked up a 10-pack of Rocketfish brand plugs when at BestBuy today as it was convenient and assumed they would work.  However, the plugs dont fit in the terminals on the back of my speakers (yes I removed the center cap).  9397495_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500   

I'm torn as to what banana plugs will work properly for me.  

my setup:

R-26f

R-25C

R-15M

R-12SW

Sony str-de675 receiver (being replaced soon).

I've looked through other threads and have seen a variety of different plugs and several look very similar to the ones I've had trouble with. So any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, nice set up. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24X-24K-Banana-Plug-Adapter-Audio-Jack-Connector-for-Nakamichi-Speaker-Cable-FJ/142774565413?hash=item213e06fa25:g:qaUAAOSwfcBZjQH0

I have had great experiences with these Nakamichi. Two screws to hold on to your speaker wire and they fit nice and snug inside the terminals. Very well built and easy to use

Tim

• Like 1

Thank you for the link, those connectors look nice.  I didn't expect to have an issue when I purchased the ones from BestBuy.  I never realized there were such a variation in plugs.  The price on the Nakamichi is decent too, I may give them a try :) 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

@SmthngWcked I have used the following banana plugs with good results.  A couple of nice features; they expand by turning the red or black thumb screw so they fit most any size binding post.  You can stack them ... I use them sometimes with other banana plugs that don't fit well in a particular  binding post.  Not cheap compared to some but way cheaper than top end ones and have similar functionality.

https://www.parts-express.com/angled-locking-and-stacking-banana-plug-with-dual-set-screws-poly-carbonate-shell-and-insu--091-3608

Hi everybody, new comer here for this forum. 

I've had several surround sound setups for my family room, but have made changes to a Klipsch Reference setup (it's what my budget allowed), but have for the first time decided to connect my speakers via banana plugs.  I picked up a 10-pack of Rocketfish brand plugs when at BestBuy today as it was convenient and assumed they would work.  However, the plugs dont fit in the terminals on the back of my speakers (yes I removed the center cap).  9397495_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500   

I'm torn as to what banana plugs will work properly for me.  

my setup:

R-26f
R-25C
R-15M
R-12SW
Sony str-de675 receiver (being replaced soon).

I've looked through other threads and have seen a variety of different plugs and several look very similar to the ones I've had trouble with. So any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.

I've been using these. Look similar to the Nakamichi ones mentioned. I'm happy with them. 2 screws to hold wire in place.
Postta Speaker Banana Plugs 24K Gold Connector with AL-Shell for Speaker Cable - 10 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSW6HCE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TU1tBbDS8HFGT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A banana plug that is not a banana plug? Huh? Did you try crimping down the the little tines that look like the peel of a banana(hence the name) with a pair of pliers? Just close them down a little bit not until they are flat.

Here's my contribution to the banana plug wars, Mediabridge. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Banana-Plugs-Corrosion-Resistant-Gold-Plated/dp/B00JFC9BJU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1531930514&sr=8-5&keywords=mediabridge+banana+plugs

They score an astounding 4.9 stars from Amazon buyers, I rate them 5 stars.  I have used other top brands in a half-dozen different styles, locking, dual screw, open screw, dual post, etc.  These are the best and easiest to setup, no tools required.

2 hours ago, babadono said:

A banana plug that is not a banana plug? Huh? Did you try crimping down the the little tines that look like the peel of a banana(hence the name) with a pair of pliers? Just close them down a little bit not until they are flat.

That might be the problem right here actually,  These plugs look to be solid metal,  it appears there's no way to compress the tines, the banana portion of the plug looks to be solid with the plug itself.   very weird.

9 minutes ago, SmthngWcked said:

That might be the problem right here actually,  These plugs look to be solid metal,  it appears there's no way to compress the tines, the banana portion of the plug looks to be solid with the plug itself.   very weird.

Leave it to the Chinese to take a 100 yr old proven connector and "improve" it or not manufacture it correctly and ship it to America anyway. If you're going to move on to something that works make sure you throw those in your car so the next time you go by Best Buy you can get your money back.

7 minutes ago, babadono said:

Leave it to the Chinese to take a 100 yr old proven connector and "improve" it or not manufacture it correctly and ship it to America anyway. If you're going to move on to something that works make sure you throw those in your car so the next time you go by Best Buy you can get your money back.

I thought something was odd about them,  how is it possible to take a design that's worked and mess it up..lol   I'm taking them back ASAP and then getting a "REAL" set of banana plugs.

I appreciate everybodys help!!! 

I am with wvu80. I have used many different ones. I consider Mediabridge the best and the quickest install. Also, I prefer to use the banana plugs only at the speaker, preferring to bare a bit more wire and stick it the hole in the amp speaker out post and then to tighten the banana plug nut down tightly, and it will stay in place a very long time. Banana plugs do have a way of slipping out and some come to you looser or tighter than others. I hate straining my eyes looking for a wire come loose at the back of the amp.

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

I have used the GLS as well, I have 24 of them currently in use.  They take some time to setup, much more than the Mediabridge I referenced above. 

They use a unique and well engineered locking device at the "banana" end, actually inflating the banana portion to solidly lock them into the terminals.  This works well at the speaker end but I found them hard to manipulate with my fingers at the amp end where all the terminals are close together.  You have to screw the GLS plugs clockwise to get them to inflate and it takes two hands to do that.

Some advice if you buy them:  The colored rings are elastic and easily get caught when screwing/unscrewing them to insert the speaker wire.  I completely ruined two plugs when the elastic became hopelessly stuck in the threads.  To their credit GLS sent me a 12-pack of new ones to replace the two which became useless.

If you don't want that "stuck" problem, take a small screwdriver and take the elastic rings off completely, attach your wire, then slip them back on.  With this method you will have no problem.  Even better is to ditch them and use red nail polish to highlight the red side and throw both plastic rings away.  You don't need black on the other other plug but you can use model paint if you want.

• Like 1

I use these crimp-on plugs most of the time.  I give the bare wire a good coat of Deoxit Gold and do a double crimp.

https://www.parts-express.com/gold-plated-crimp-on-banana-plug-16-pcs--091-350

I ditch the boots and use 2 layers of shrink tubing for strain relief.  I feel that these crimp-ons make a more secure connection than the other types.

Downside of the crimp-ons is that they are permanent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 10:14 AM, MC39693 said:

@SmthngWcked I have used the following banana plugs with good results.  A couple of nice features; they expand by turning the red or black thumb screw so they fit most any size binding post.  You can stack them ... I use them sometimes with other banana plugs that don't fit well in a particular  binding post.  Not cheap compared to some but way cheaper than top end ones and have similar functionality.

https://www.parts-express.com/angled-locking-and-stacking-banana-plug-with-dual-set-screws-poly-carbonate-shell-and-insu--091-3608

These look to be perfect for using with an external plate amp with high level inputs to go to an external sub in a 2.1 setting. I have been looking for something that would allow me to use my stereo amps speaker connections out to my plate amp high level inputs. Up to this point I have just soldered the second set of speaker wires to the ones hooked up to my main amp. Thanks for the link!

Good, I hope they work for you. I like the expanding plug and the thumb screw is easy to use, including stacked with other banana plugs, e.g.on already finished cables that might not have a good fit to the binding posts.