Cable talk

alxlwson

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, efzauner said:

You basically have your speaker wire in series with the LF  inductor and the voice coil. lots and lots of solid core wire there... much longer than in many speaker cable runs. 

The LF inductor in a crossover is there to filter high frequencies, so skin effect is irrelevant. You want to get rid of the highs.

With most crossover designs the tweeter crossover section uses inductors to shunt low frequencies, so a higher impedance at 15-20 kHz due to skin effect is irrelevant. You want to get rid if the low frequencies in this case.

If high frequencies pass through an inductor, as in the case of a series crossover design, Litz wire inductors are sometimes specified so that high frequencies are not attenuated.

Just because solid wire is used in certain inductors within a crossover does not mean that solid wire is best for speaker wire. Tests show stranded wire has less skin effect, thus flatter frequency response in the 15-20 kHz region by 1/4 to 1 dB.  

17 hours ago, Arash said:

go for solid core OCC copper wire and don't look back.

Especially for interconnects. Once hosted a Texas Bottlehead gathering and had two Marantz Sa-8260. One stock and another modified. Somehow when trying to show the difference between players all we did was change from some commercial stranded interconnects to my DIY cables made with cotton, Vampire 28 ga 6/9 solid core and Bullitt plugs. 

Everyone was blew away. Once we figured all that changed was the cable between the SACD and preamp the group wanted the formula to make an interconnect. 

The cable was a larger improvement than the countless hours spent modifying the players.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:20 AM, Don Richard said:

The LF inductor in a crossover is there to filter high frequencies, so skin effect is irrelevant. You want to get rid of the highs.

With most crossover designs the tweeter crossover section uses inductors to shunt low frequencies, so a higher impedance at 15-20 kHz due to skin effect is irrelevant. You want to get rid if the low frequencies in this case.

If high frequencies pass through an inductor, as in the case of a series crossover design, Litz wire inductors are sometimes specified so that high frequencies are not attenuated.

Just because solid wire is used in certain inductors within a crossover does not mean that solid wire is best for speaker wire. Tests show stranded wire has less skin effect, thus flatter frequency response in the 15-20 kHz region by 1/4 to 1 dB.  

all correct. but 1/4 to 1 db is sort of moot when you consider room effects. Nobody can hear 1/4 db.  If you are going to  nit pick about 1/4 db  then you cannot simply ignore other effects. You cannot just focus on one issue. That is what engineering is.   My point was that people will focus on one thing because they think they read something on the internet without any ability or understanding on how other parts affect performance.  I am sure the OP would not have been able to do the analysis you have.  but hey  "what about skin effect?" 

19 hours ago, efzauner said:

1/4 to 1 db is sort of moot when you consider room effects. Nobody can hear 1/4 db.

That's precisely the point, skin effect is hard to hear at 15-20kHz but some people with good hearing can tell a difference. I know my hearing falls off at about 12 kHz but I also know I can hear 1/4 to 1/2 dB changes in frequencies within my hearing range when adjusting crossovers.