Crites A-55G

Shakeydeal

I typically search on Google for something and tag it with the Klipsch "community" to help with results for finding things here....like a thread I started that I can't locate.  Other formats on some forums give you the option to see "My Content" which makes it easy to find what you posted plus you can find threads you actually started.  It's lackluster at best for the search function.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Any opinions on this midrange driver replacing the K55 in a klipschorn? Improvement or just something different?

Shakey

Great driver. Improvements for me across the board in a set of La Scalas.

41 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Also, search is your friend.

But not you?

I've found that just using google is better than the search function here.  Most times it will point you to a thread here on the forum anyways.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I typically search on Google for something and tag it with the Klipsch "community" to help with results for finding things here....like a thread I started that I can't locate.  Other formats on some forums give you the option to see "My Content" which makes it easy to find what you posted plus you can find threads you actually started.  It's lackluster at best for the search function.

Beat me to it.

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I agree. Doesn't matter how good you can spell, it's all predicated on how well the OP spelled  your "key word" when their thread was started.  -Shakey

Zzzactly!  😎

“hi rick.  its not that that i think that you took a wrong turn or anything like that.  i often see people switch out components and claim that it was a good thing without really understanding what they did.  klipsch and i take a lot of pride in making these systems sound the best that they can and that includes picking components and other things that should make the speakers sound the best that they can.  so when people replace these components, i often find myself asking "what led them to change these thing?".  obviously we take so much care when we do replace components to make sure that the resultant change guarantees the same freq response, polar response, phase response, etc to make sure that the change keeps or makes the speaker better.  there are quite a few people that claim "better" but don't offer or present any data as why its better.  on the 55g, i have heard that its distortion is lower.  but that is not the case.  i have played with that driver and it does not represent any lower significant distortion.  in fact, because of the exit throat of the driver, it is quite the opposite.  i am not picking on the 55g or any one component.  its just that changing anything results in something that is not the way klipsch spec meant it to be.  if they were to make sure that keeping it to klipsch spec was a priority then maybe.  just to be sure, klipsch doesn't recommend any of these changes or authorize them.  ultimately though, its your ears that decide what you like.  just like, its klipsch ears that decide what is klipsch or not.  take care”

18 hours ago, AHall said:

“hi rick.  its not that that i think that you took a wrong turn or anything like that.  i often see people switch out components and claim that it was a good thing without really understanding what they did.  klipsch and i take a lot of pride in making these systems sound the best that they can and that includes picking components and other things that should make the speakers sound the best that they can.  so when people replace these components, i often find myself asking "what led them to change these thing?".  obviously we take so much care when we do replace components to make sure that the resultant change guarantees the same freq response, polar response, phase response, etc to make sure that the change keeps or makes the speaker better.  there are quite a few people that claim "better" but don't offer or present any data as why its better.  on the 55g, i have heard that its distortion is lower.  but that is not the case.  i have played with that driver and it does not represent any lower significant distortion.  in fact, because of the exit throat of the driver, it is quite the opposite.  i am not picking on the 55g or any one component.  its just that changing anything results in something that is not the way klipsch spec meant it to be.  if they were to make sure that keeping it to klipsch spec was a priority then maybe.  just to be sure, klipsch doesn't recommend any of these changes or authorize them.  ultimately though, its your ears that decide what you like.  just like, its klipsch ears that decide what is klipsch or not.  take care”

Ears for me mostly because I don't have any other test equipment. Alas, my pocketbook also helps with a lot of listening decisions. And do instruments correlate more than just a bit with what ears enjoy? I wonder. Do the ears decide before or after they the brain digests the graph produced by instruments? I guess what bothers me the most about what I read here is audiophiles tend to indulge in esoteric nonsense or gobbledygook and believe themselves too easily. Turns me off, and I stop reading when it goes in that direction.

I got into stereo many years ago because I liked heavy bass, I thought. Now I like non-adjusted settings, I think, but I can sometimes lapse into wanting to hear heavy bass. My level of esoteria: Klipsch speakers can be harsh sounding, sort of like listening to too much tinny-sounding Willie Nelson or Led Zep, but I strongly feel that is the way they actually sound, so the reproduction is probably accurate...it is my opinion that Klipsch speakers are accurate reproducers of sound, and all sound has harsh, tinny sounding stuff running around inside the actual music. It can be zeroed in on and dampened, but should it?

Crites stuff? It's all excellent. His big ole JBL mid in his Cornscala is the most impressive mid I have ever heard. I was so impressed with his Cornscala  that I bought three pair of them, one for myself and one for each of a couple of my kids. I consider them to be superior to every Klipsch speaker that I have heard, and I own several of the heritage-class speakers, LaScalla II, Latest Forte, Chorus II, several of Claude's Super Heresies and a pair of Heresy III.

Crites doesn't take credit for the A55G's, gives it all to the guy, Mr. Allen?, ok, Mr. Allen, who developed it. The mids in his Cornscalas are JBL's made in Brazil; maybe Trump will entice them back into the USA...smile...

But A55G's: I have a pair of CT120's and a pair of A55G's working in concert with a pair of Eminence Delta Pro 15A woofers, and I love what they sound like. You may have to attenuate the A55G's some though, they are hot.

Edited by ishwash
correction

5 minutes ago, Schu said:

I was under the impression that the Warren a55g was designed as a direct replacement for the k55... not an upgrade.

Looks that way to me too according to the graph on Bob's site (bottom of page for A-55G), but Bob quotes John Allen as saying,

"Not only does the A-55-G feature a smoother frequency response and wider bandwidth, it also has lower distortion than any other driver of its type. It can only be described as a stunning achievement in loudspeaker technology. We are calling it the Stradivarius of midrange compression drivers."

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Schu said:

I was under the impression that the Warren a55g was designed as a direct replacement for the k55... not an upgrade.

If it were me, I'd ask Bob Crites if he thought there was any possibility that the A55G is going to perform louder than the K55 did and see how he responds, because if you have to drop down one tap point on the autotransformer, you will want to have the new half-size capacitor in hand, they don't cost much. If he says you won't be considering dropping down one tap point, then I would go for it. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

I would imagine you couldn't just call up Klipsch parts and order a new replacement if a person needed one. There is most likely some "proprietary reason" they couldn't/wouldn't sell them thru parts department. Not without showing serial numbers of speakers, etc., most likely. 

I listen to FM HD about 3 hours per day at around 75 db SPL with the Crites CT 125's and A55G's with Dean crossovers and with each addition the voices and clarity have improved. The good recordings are flawless as the voices. The bad recordings are the first to show any degradation especially with cymbals and complex voices and this varies according the weather conditions. So I assume it is a bitrate and FM transmission thing. One station pumps up the midrange and bass, the other pumps up the bass, and the jazz station really pumps up the bass

with perfect voice clarity. The commercials on the FM HD stations  and also the television live  sound are always perfect. And I listen for every little glitch, well most of the time. My upper hearing range stops at 10.5 KHZ.

JJK

4 hours ago, ishwash said:

If it were me, I'd ask Bob Crites if he thought there was any possibility that the A55G is going to perform louder than the K55 did and see how he responds, because if you have to drop down one tap point on the autotransformer, you will want to have the new half-size capacitor in hand, they don't cost much. If he says you won't be considering dropping down one tap point, then I would go for it. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

This has already been discussed ad nauseam... that's why I said it.