Too good to pass up?

rivercat

I have the opportunity to get a nice setup for pretty cheap via local craigslist. Am I crazy to pass this up or not jump on it right away?

RF7 towers, decent shape, not mint but not horrible

RC7 Center

RSW15 Sub

older Denon receiver, not positive of model

All for $400. The problem is that I have no room or really use for most of it right now. We just bought the R20 sound bar within the last year, so that's not going anywhere. I want the RF7's for music if nothing else but the seller won't split things up.

Between not having space or a use for it all and it still being $400 that the wife won't be happy to see spent, I'm torn on it. Don't get me wrong, we're not out on the street if I spend it, but wiser decisions than this when it comes to money have been made...

Now I know it's a good deal, but does everyone think this is one of those amazing deals that I'd be an idiot to pass up?

Heard loud and clear! That really is what I thought, but it’s nice to hear a resounding yes from everyone on this, makes me feel a little less guilty...😀

I’m working on the guy right now to get it done. The tricky thing is that I’m in a different city. I’ll be in the town this is at in about 3 weeks, so I need to work around that and hopefully get it done.

Edited by rivercat
  • Like 1

Resounding YES from me, @rivercat

Great price so at the very least you will be able to get out of them what you have in them, so there is literally no financial risk.  I'm not an expert on Reference series speakers but I would think that set might be worth $1200-1500.

9 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Buy it NOW!!! 

Yes, now.  Play with them a week or two and sell if you must.  Even if you resold it all for reasonable prices, you would at minimum put $1000.00 in your pocket for your trouble.

Bill

After a lot of back and forth, I finally got the guy locked down, sent him a little down payment on it today to make sure he holds them. 

He’s moving out of a place and doesn’t have room himself really, so I had to work on him a bit to make it happen🙂

I would have just gone and got them right away,  but they’re 350 miles away and in a town I’m going to be in anyway in 2 weeks. Hard to justify making two trips in a two week span that are 700 mile round trip each.

When I said local in my original post, I guess I should have clarified it was local-ish. (Same state).

So now that this is going to be in my possession (fingers crossed things don’t go downhill from here)

The dust caps are pushed in on the RF7’s. I’ve been looking into the best ways to fix this, but wanted to check here. Anyone have solid advice on this?

The center channel has some definite dings in it, but supposedly doesn’t affect the sound. At what lengths do people go to “restore” these speakers? Are replacement cabinets remotely accessible? What about the actual drivers? Replaceable if need be?

Edited by rivercat

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I picked everything up this weekend. I’m back home and cleaning it all up now. $450 for everything, the extra $50 was to hold it for 3 weeks until I was in town.

The towers and sub are in pretty good shape, a fair amount of surface scratches on the wood, so I’ll want to refinish them at some point and the dust caps have little dimples in them on the RF7’s, so I’ll work on fixing those. But it’s all purely cosmetic.

The center is in rough shape. There are some gouges in the wood that I can probably make look a little better, but I don’t know that there is any fixing them entirely. And one driver is pretty dented and has a small crack in it. Not the cap, but the actual copper part. The guy said it didn’t affect the sound but it sure looks like it could. So I’ll probably want to get that fixed at some point. I knew that for the price, there was no complaining.

I’ll try to get to work on some of this stuff and post some updates as I have them.

• Like 1

So just doin some quick research, it doesn’t look like the replacement drivers are available for the RC7 (I assumed that’d be the case)

I see this as a potential replacement:

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-1011974-rf-82-mkii-woofer/

Obviously I'd want to do both drivers if I were to do this replacement, is this a common replacement and does anyone have experience with it as far as quality of sound compared to original drivers, etc?