Do old capacitors cause distortion?

I've installed Ti diapghrams for the mids and already had them for the tweeters in my Chorus II.  Things have really smoothed out over the past almost 2 weeks of non stop play.  One issue I've had is of course it is very revealing so bad recordings sound even worse, but with good recordings I started to notice a scratchy sound now and then coming out of the left mid horn when playing very loud.  I did a test and swapped the speakers and now the scratchy sound is on the right-so the one speaker has the issue.  My Chorus II are not serial matching. One has the older white paper tag and the other has the black one as seen on the KLF series. I assume the older white paper is the older speaker, but it is the newer black paper tagged speaker that has the distortion in it's mid horn. I know i'm up for a recap for both regardless, but are old caps really distortion causing or a cause of what I am describing to be a scratchy sound? 

For now, i'm going to open up the horn and see if the connection is secure.  Note that the TI mid diapghram has a larger unmarked connector for positive so I had to bend open the original Chorus II connector to fit it onto the large Ti positive connector, so this being a bad connection could be the actual reason for the scratchy sound. I don't want to crimp on a larger connector to slide right in in case I end up going back to original phenolic due to 90% of my music library sounding really bad with the hyper detail of the Ti's.

8 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

For now, i'm going to open up the horn and see if the connection is secure.  Note that the TI mid diapghram has a larger unmarked connector for positive so I had to bend open the original Chorus II connector to fit it onto the large Ti positive connector, so this being a bad connection could be the actual reason for the scratchy sound.

Just did this and squeezed really tightly to make sure the wire connector was on tight.  Played- still that scratchy distortion out of that one mid horn.

I've had the experience that a bad cap can cause poor performance that displays as distortion. Mine were so bad that I would have sworn the driver was shot so I disassembled it and everything looked nominal so I have new XO's built and viola, beautiful sound again.

33 minutes ago, Schu said:

I've had the experience that a bad cap can cause poor performance that displays as distortion. Mine were so bad that I would have sworn the driver was shot so I disassembled it and everything looked nominal so I have new XO's built and viola, beautiful sound again.

came across an audio forum where i searched for this particular sound and it just so happens one of the comments was from someone saying his Chorus mid horns were distorted at high volume with bad caps and when he got new crossovers, everything was fine.

Just to make absolutely sure it's not the diaphragm or something else, i'm going to continue troubleshooting. Going to swap just the mid horns. If i swap horns and the distortion stays with the same speaker with new horn, then it's obviously something with the crossover. If the sound moves to the other speaker, it's obviously a faulty diaphragm or maybe i need to reinstall it to make sure it's in there snug?