Which one? (Gravity or Suction)

Coytee

Spray painting come cabinet doors with oil paint.  

Have at my disposal, a new gravity HVLP sprayer (two actually, one says 40 psi max and other says 50 psi max...otherwise, both seem identical)

I also have a Husky brand, older siphon feed.

We did our cabinets a couple years ago with the siphon feed and the finish was near flawless (especially for beginners)

Not so sure we're getting similar results with the gravity fed version...

Which would you say is better?

Side note:  Wife LOVES the way the oil works....but cleaning the mess (which she leaves to me) is a real pain, having to disassemble the sprayer...solvents.... just a mess.

• Moderators

I always used the old style suction feed. The last thing I sprayed was the sub and I used a HVLP for the first time and I liked it better than the other. I was spraying polyurethane and it seemed like it was easier to control without any problems. It was quick dry poly and I ended up putting probably 6-8 light coats in one day, only sanding once after the 3rd coat. Not exactly how they say to do it but it came out great anyway.

It did seem easier to adjust to get it to spray like I wanted, I always seemed to never get the suction type like I wanted for some reason. 

I am no painter and it seemed easier with the HVLP to me to adjust and control, I'm not going back, and it's easier on the compressor. 

It's now a moot question.  We used the suction.  I told her we can try it....if she doesn't like it, we'll toss it.  

The preliminary gut feeling is it might have done a better job.  Of course, that could be because we never got the HVLP unit totally dialed in.  I don't know.

I DO know however, that the (old) cabinets we sprayed with the suction turned out looking like quite a professional job.

The first four coats that went on the NEW cabinets....  well....  she was convinced that some sand got in there as there were random "particles of sand" (I don't personally think it was sand but what can I say without it sounding like I'm arguing?!)

So we did the suction for the last coat on these after she sanded the "sand" off them and made them smooth again.

Don't you know that a couple bugs landed on them.  She was about ready to pull her hair out!

None the less....  doors are done and drying.  Compressor is back in the garage (and out of my office) 

I sure hate cleaning up after oil paint....nuff said on that!!

• Moderators

I have used suction over the years on a couple of trucks and a dump truck for a friend and they came out fine. I am almost ready to paint my truck again because I messed up buying the paint years ago, industrial paint which was tough but no clear so it faded alot over the years and needs to be fixed. It's old but only gets used to go to the hardware store or pull a trailer so I keep it even if it is old, 1989 3/4 ton chevy but it only has 43K miles, i'm hoping it outlast me. 

Back to painting I need to paint that sub and with the big openings in the front like the 1802 I knew I couldn't finish the inside without many runs so I wanted to spray it. Almost everything I read said poly is not good to spray but I figured it couldn't be worse than me with a brush. It was quick dry poly in a HVLP, it went on great and with light coats was dry to the touch in probably 20 minutes. I would imagine your oil paint was much slower to dry which gave time for bugs ? I got lucky a few coats and I let it sit for a couple hours, it was outside in the shade under a tractor shed with a little breeze. I tried to sand on the back in case it was to soon but it did well so I sanded then wiped it all down. For the next few hours I put many more light coats on it and let it sit for a couple hours. The moved ot with the tractor to the front porch onto furniture dollies, about an hour later it felt dry so I rolled it inside out of the night dampness.

I have to say it turned out better than expected and I know I got lucky, the fast dry of that poly helped alot. But I was sold on the HVLP and plan to use it for what's next, I hope it goes as well as it did last time. 

It is satin polyurethane.

As long as she is happy your good, yes cleanup and sanding is the worst part.

speakers.jpeg

• Like 1