New Owner of La Scala IIs - Couple of Q's for Other Owners?

JFHSQT

In what way would the vibrations manifest itself in the sound? Would it be just general noise or some sort of hum or feedback?

Unfortunately I don't have much choice right now, in that my entire room is taken up by these monsters, LOL. I could remove the XBox One and get a 450C center to put on top of my media cabinet and maybe free up some room in my BDI Corridor, but damn, who wants to hide something as gorgeous as a CL-40?

15 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Personally, I wouldn't put any electronics on top of speakers, especially tube gear. But I am a big believer in footers and devices to eliminate vibrations in gear. I'm sure I'll get taken to task for that, but a lot of those products do work.

Shakey

Shockingly, I agree.

12 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

In what way would the vibrations manifest itself in the sound? Would it be just general noise or some sort of hum or feedback?

Unfortunately I don't have much choice right now, in that my entire room is taken up by these monsters, LOL. I could remove the XBox One and get a 450C center to put on top of my media cabinet and maybe free up some room in my BDI Corridor, but damn, who wants to hide something as gorgeous as a CL-40?

Tubes can be microphonic. Depends on the quality of the tube and what it resides in. Phono tubes are most sensitive. The effects can range from an audible feedback through the speakers (worst case) to just a degradation in sound that is subtle, but noticeable. I have always been a believer that what a component sits on can audibly affect the sound.

Shakey

52 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

I am curious if setting any tube amps on top of the LSIIs could result in distortion from microphonics, etc.

I didn't hear any issues last night, but I was listening at probably 70dB, not much to shake at that level. The one sacrifice I have to make with these speakers is room, so I lost my component cabinet and have to use the LSIIs as end tables for my tube gear. 

la-scala-right-pl4-top.jpg

And the tube Luxman Pre on the other LSII?

5 minutes ago, jorjen said:

And the tube Luxman Pre on the other LSII?

Yes, the CL-40 is vintage, ca 1983, with a complete restoration in 2013. It is quite possibly the sexiest piece of gear I've ever seen.

The PL 4 is brand-new as of a week ago. So far both are playing really nice together. 

la-scala-left-cl-40-top.jpg

21 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Tubes can be microphonic. Depends on the quality of the tube and what it resides in. Phono tubes are most sensitive. The effects can range from an audible feedback through the speakers (worst case) to just a degradation in sound that is subtle, but noticeable. I have always been a believer that what a component sits on can audibly affect the sound.

Shakey

I will play close attention to how things behave over the next few days. I am certainly at the least going to put felt tabs on the feet of both units to protect the LSII finish, but I'll also be keen to listen for any sound issues as well. The PL4 tubes get pretty damn warm, but the CL-40 never heats up.

Guest wdecho
41 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

In what way would the vibrations manifest itself in the sound? 

Trust me, you will know it when it happens. I have noticed that Klipsch has fuses on their K-horns now, not sure about LaScala's. If not fuse those things for safety sakes. A 1 1/4 amp fast blow is recommended for mid and high drivers. Bass can take more but it has never been a problem for me using 1 amp ones at the volume I listen at, and that is unreasonable loud at times. 

Thats a nice looking room, dig the color scheme, the back lighting, the gear displayed on top, the curtain behind, the psychedelic bowl on the left speaker and the Japanese lamp on the other. The LaScalas look great in there. its well thought out. How far back is your seat?  How about a pic of the sitting position. Couch or chairs?  

• Like 1

Those are beautiful.........I just have some plain old time lascalas and I love to listen to them even though they don't play that low.  They have the best image and cleanest details of any Klipsch I've owned.  I use subs even with my MCM and Jubs.  So it doesn't matter to me if I have the Klipsch that play lower.........my take is they all still need subs anyhow.  So why not have some lascalas too?  Interestingly, I don't use subs with my lascalas though.

You know........there is a simple technique to get "more bass" out of a lascala.  It won't necessarily go lower, but you can perceive quite a bit more of what it does have.  It is called a Super AA / ALK Jr. crossover.  Basically, it turn the squawker down 6db.

I am not suggesting you modify those beautiful Lascala IIs.  I am sure they are quite refined.  But I think the lascala gets a bad rap for its bass output and it doesn't have to be that way if that bothers you.

7 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Those are beautiful.........I just have some plain old time lascalas and I love to listen to them even though they don't play that low.  They have the best image and cleanest details of any Klipsch I've owned.  I use subs even with my MCM and Jubs.  So it doesn't matter to me if I have the Klipsch that play lower.........my take is they all still need subs anyhow.  So why not have some lascalas too?  Interestingly, I don't use subs with my lascalas though.

You know........there is a simple technique to get "more bass" out of a lascala.  It won't necessarily go lower, but you can perceive quite a bit more of what it does have.  It is called an ALK Super X crossover.  Basically, it turn the squawker down 6db.

I am not suggesting you modify those beautiful Lascala IIs.  I am sure they are quite refined.  But I think the lascala gets a bad rap for its bass output and it doesn't have to be that way if that bothers you.

The Lascala midrange is too good to want to pad it down. At least it's not something I would do.

Shakey

• Like 1

Trust me, you wouldn't even notice.  You would think someone turned up the bass.  You lose nothing.  Not to derail (I'll stop here),  but most folks don't have the new ones.  So the notion of bass shyness is more probably from the old ones.  Although I seem to see similar comments now and then from the owners of IIs.  :)

Still, those are some beautiful cabinets.

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Thats a nice looking room, dig the color scheme, the back lighting, the gear displayed on top, the curtain behind, the psychedelic bowl on the left speaker and the Japanese lamp on the other. The LaScalas look great in there. its well thought out. How far back is your seat?  How about a pic of the sitting position. Couch or chairs?  

Thank you - here is an early pic before placement and toe-in was refined a bit. I am sitting on a couch 10' back from the speakers, to the right side of the couch, so I have to work with toe-in a bit more to get a balanced center image in the main listening position. For critical listening, I pull that La-Z-Boy out in front of the couch, so I am center and about 7 feet from the speakers. 

You'll also see Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos speakers as front heights, and the SVS SB-2000 to the right... placement yet to be determined (it used to be in the front left corner). 

For rears I have RP-150s on stands & Auralex wedges with PSB Imagine XA sitting on top - unfortunately rear height placement is impossible so I couldn't double up the 140SA's in the back for Atmos... the PSBs do a serviceable job in this small room for height effect (combined with the front heights). 

In the media cabinet there is an Anthem MRX 720, an Oppo 205, and an Adcom 2 channel amp to power rear Atmos. Also a Klipsch RP-250C, which is the weak link in the chain right now. 

When this is all dialed in, I'll be using an amp switcher to run HDMI audio from the Oppo to the Anthem and analog outs from the Oppo to the Luxman pre (using Oppo as a Roon endpoint), so I can utilize the subwoofer along with the analog 2 channel audio from the Luxman. It works wonderfully, especially with the LFE corrected via ARC, and using the "AnthemLogic:Music" preset, it sends a small amount of content to the heights and rears for almost a "super tweeter" effect that really fills in the soundstage. I adjust the volume between the Anthem and the Luxman to get the proper mix. 

Looking forward to getting ARC dialed in and listening to some home theater through the system this weekend!

full-front-la-scala.jpg

• Like 1

Guest wdecho
1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

You know........there is a simple technique to get "more bass" out of a lascala.  It won't necessarily go lower, but you can perceive quite a bit more of what it does have.  It is called an ALK Super X crossover.  Basically, it turn the squawker down 6db.

Even easier is install some L-pads to the ere of some members here that disagree. Let's not go there again guys. When you attenuate the mids some more you do have more bass. The mid and high driver are the ones that are more efficient than the woofer and are the ones that in most cases have to be attenuated. If you cut them down a few more db's you have more bass.That being said I like the sound of my  new build of the type AA crossover with my chosen capacitors without any further attenuation. It can vary from room to room and individual preference.

My advice is to leave those new jewels alone and just enjoy them as they are. The designers of the new crossovers have spent a lot of time and effort to design a crossover that appeals to most listeners, at least in their opinion. 

3 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

I am curious if setting any tube amps on top of the LSIIs could result in distortion from microphonics, etc.

I would be more worried about the nice finish on your speakers.  I’ve seen some rubber feet react badly with some finishes over time leaving depressions and discoloration.

miketn

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

"rubber feet react badly with some finishes over time leaving depressions and discoloration." 

Good point! 

I agree.  I would not put anything directly on top of the finish.  A nice fluffy towel first, then perhaps a set of sorbothane feet, or a 2 inch thick soft maple block, or both.

• Like 1

The artwork on top of the left speaker is hip-no-tyzin’ me!

...MUST BUY LASCALA II’s...!

but seriously, get some tempered glass tops for those beauties! You KNOW some bonehead will eventually set a glass down on them...

And when it happens you will feel me cringe all the way from north of the border!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I would be more worried about the nice finish on your speakers.  I’ve seen some rubber feet react badly with some finishes over time leaving depressions and discoloration.

miketn

Also ... long term effect on the finish from any heat.

• Like 2

Congrats on the LSII purchase! I loved my '89 LS, but sold them for financial reasons. I know they are a bit weak in the bass, but loved the presentation they made. Even when listening to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones... switching to Sibelius, Elgar was super.

I am sure the new ones are even better.

Bruce