Add sub to older 2-channel system

jcimm2000

Hello folks, I have several years experience installing car audio systems with amps, component speakers, subs, and both active and passive crossovers. BUT I have limited experience with home audio systems. I would like to add a sub to my current system. My equipment is circa ~1991. Carver TFM-35 amp, Carver ct-3 preamp, and a set of Klipsch Forte II's. I'm looking at the Klipsch subs. They seem to be self-powered and have line-level inputs. How do I integrate this sub into my current system? Do I need a crossover? What do I power the line-level inputs with? Do I need to high-pass the Forte II's?

Sorry for being a Noob; and any advise would be greatly appropriated.

Joe

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

OK, found it.  No issues whatsoever in splitting the pre out signal.  You'll just need to use the controls on the sub for crossover duty.

Great. Thank you for your quick response. If I use the crossover controls on the sub, that only affects the frequency of the sub. I would still be sending full range to the Forte II's. I'm sure they can handle it. I already replaced the crossovers in the cabinets with ones from Crites. Not messing with them again.

Sorry for all the questions.

Joe

On 7/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, jcimm2000 said:

If I use the crossover controls on the sub, that only affects the frequency of the sub. I would still be sending full range to the Forte II's. I'm sure they can handle it.

I think the lower frequency side of the Forte's II's -3dB response is 35Hz so a good low pass starting point would be maybe 45hz and adjust from there.  You may get a better more seamless blend in your room at 30Hz or maybe even 50Hz.  Don't hesitate to experiment.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 6:46 AM, jcimm2000 said:

Hello folks, I have several years experience installing car audio systems with amps, component speakers, subs, and both active and passive crossovers. BUT I have limited experience with home audio systems. I would like to add a sub to my current system. My equipment is circa ~1991. Carver TFM-35 amp, Carver ct-3 preamp, and a set of Klipsch Forte II's. I'm looking at the Klipsch subs. They seem to be self-powered and have line-level inputs. How do I integrate this sub into my current system? Do I need a crossover? What do I power the line-level inputs with? Do I need to high-pass the Forte II's?

Sorry for being a Noob; and any advise would be greatly appropriated.

Joe

I had this same questions a few years back when I wanted to add a sub to a old marantz integrated. This was recommended to me, I bought one but still haven't used it. At the time I had a pair of RB-5s but now I have Chorus IIs and they don't need a sub where I use them.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-accessories/accessories/outlaw-audio-icbm-1-integrated-controlled-bass-manager.html