Cornwall II vs Chorus II

firo

So after a lot of bugging people and scouring ad's I have found a pair of Black Chorus II's and Oiled Oak Cornwall II's about 10 hours away in different directions. I am going to buy one this weekend. After spending the last couple months researching these and reading every thread and opinion I can find I can say without a doubt that I have no idea which one to buy! Help me!!

I listen to lots of music of all kinds from classic rock to indie to rap to edm all equally. Upgrading from KG 5.5's.

Please tell me which one and why, I need someone to slap me in the right direction.

Heading out to get the Chorus II's. Thanks for your suggestions!

Edited by firo
solved

I'm a fan of the tractrix horn in my Forte II (sold them for reasons unrelated to audio) and my Quartet.  This is in contrast to the exponential mid in the CW II and Forte I.

Some people here have listened to both mid hors and find little difference.  Maybe in a certain room they are similar.

OTOH.  The people at Klipsch experimented with the tractrix.  It seems to me they put it in a Forte I, maybe as a mule set up, and found very favorable results.  They then used the tractrix in the Forte II, Chorus II, and Quartet.  These were the baby bear, momma bear, and papa bear of what I call the neo Heritage.  All with passive drone radiators in back.

Eventually Roy patented an improvement to that tractrix mid  and it is used in the Forte III. 

I conclude that Klipsch likes the tractrix a lot.

As far as bass I don't know. The CW (ported) always gets top reviews.  My Forte II were terrific and I'd expect the same of the Chorus II with a passive.

The other thing is that the Chorus is bit taller (?) and slimmer than the CW.  The CW has a vent in the front where the Chorus has the passive in the back.  The latter should not be a problem unless you absolutely must have them against a wall with zero clearance.  I say six inches is enough and angled in corners is wonderful.

So, I say Chorus II. 

WMcD

• Like 2

I ride with my Chorus II. I hadn't been a fan of the exponential horns in my previous Forte I, but it must have been because at the time as i started into this Klipsch venture i was using a cheap yamaha avr with the Forte I.  I recently sold some Heresy II's(needed funds) and they sounded great so i assume a CWII is like a huge Heresy II.  My Chorus I also has exponential horns and they sound fine too, but prefer the Chorus II over it easily.  You can't go wrong with either.  I personally want a pair of CWII myself on top of already having a pair of Chorus II and Chorus I. One plus to the CWII is mods. If you're not afraid to perform some surgery, some people here have cut out a large enough fitting to put in the Chorus II tractrix mid horn. You can even go bigger as there's quite a bit of space to fit in some different horns - Cornscala.  One person here went 2 way with a K-510.  

I currently have titanium mids and tweeters in my Chorus II and Moray James recommended mod of adding 2.5 oz to the passive radiators.  The Tis really smoothed out over the past few weeks, but be aware that they're very revealing to bad recordings and source.  I'm loving it with good recordings.  CWIII uses Ti diaphragms, but they have an even smaller mid horn IIRC and obviously newer, higher placed 15'' driver and network to match.  I don't know if there's a CWIII upgrade like there is for the HII to HIII upgrade, but that'd be awesome if there was.  The Ti mid and tweeter diaphragms can be used in CWII's all the same.  Klipsch makes a bandpass that Crites can build for you or you can build yourself.  Just do a google search for Klipsch Titanium mid diaphragm and you can find some different topics with discussions on it including schematics for the bandpass.  

From personal searches through the years, i think Chorus II are harder to find, at least here in Texas.

I feel like Cornwall lovers prefer the original Cornwall I's, but i'll let Cornwall guys chime in and speak for themselves. Everyone loves what they have so hopefully you get opinions from those who have owned both the CHII and CWII, especially at the same time.

Here's a good review of a Cornwall II vs Chorus II shootout

Sorry looks like Cornwall I shootout with Chorus II. If they found more similarities than dissimilarities in a CWI vs CHII, i'd imagine a CWII is even more similar to a CHII.  

Chorus II here, too.

I had Cornwall I verticals and Chorus IIs at the same time. After comparing I like the Tractrix improvement and the bass of the Chorus II was better. To my ears the Cornwall's bass started to get 'floppy', not as accurate, with louder listening. And the Chorus II has a smaller footprint. The differences between them were not extreme. If you were to only purchase one pair with no chance of hearing the other, I think you'll be happy with the sound.

KG 5.5s sound excellent with rock, IMO. Compared to the KG 5.5, voices and midrange will be more noticeable with either the Cornwall or Chorus II.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Cornwall old timers fell asleep on their couch around the time you posed this question. Might want to wait till 5am for some Cornwall responses :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d pick cornwall. Oh look it’s 5am

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I heard the Cornwalls at Klipsch HQ a few years ago, I thought they sounded a bit boomy in the bass, compared to the Chorus IIs I heard later. Perhaps, the tighter bass is why I compared to LaScala bass. 😉

Bruce

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

When I heard the Cornwalls at Klipsch HQ a few years ago, I thought they sounxed a bit boomy in the bass, compared to the Chorus IIs I heard later. Perhaps, the tighter bass is why I compared to LaScala bass. 😉

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

If you heard Cornwalls in the demo room near the front door, know that that room is bassy, reinforcing the 80 to 100 Hz range of every speaker put in there. 

I can't remember which room they were in. It was at the second pilgrimage (you attended, if my memory hasn't totally failed). Partly, if I would get something that size with a direct radiator woofer, I would find some Chorus II or Forte III for nicer aesthetics and waf. 😁