who is using 300 B and which tube / why

joessportster

I just bought Al's 300B amps they came with the Sophia mesh 300 B, those sound fine I am kind of OCD and always want a reserve set of tubes. I am never comfortable having 1 set playing and it detracts from the mood.

So While I am sure the Western Electric, and Emission Labs etc are all great tubes I am not made of money and will have to stay in the 300.00 range  

Any opinions ?  Tube Depot and a review I read like Genelex Gold Lion

Have you considered the Chinese offerings?

The Chinese tubes from psvane and shuguang are not like their (Chinese) tube amps... they are quite fine and considered world class even though they are not "vintage".

The WE 300B tubes, I believe, are a little different and it might not be a simple substitution from what I have read from different folks. Even if us mortals could afford them. I am hoping that things go smoothly for the new production of these tubes and the price drops some. The new WE plant in Rossville, GA should be operational this Fall.

I only have 2A3 amps, or I would have some opinions. I understand about not wanting to have a single set of tubes.

Bruce

• Like 1

LOL :) (Mortals afford them. I like that.) I am happy to hear a plant in America is going to make a re-issue. I will certainly watch for that. I have looked and it seems the only tubes available are the JJ, Sophia, PS-Vane, ilk................. I was surprised I dont find ANY vintage types except the WE and they are WAY outta my league. I would love to find a couple dozen pairs of those things. Tube Depot wants 5 grand for a pair.

It isn't a reissue... a gentleman here bought the rights to everything. He has ALL the original tooling and equipment to make them. I have no idea how much money he spent to get it, but it is a big deal. They are getting it set up now.

Guest wdecho

I have a pair of the Gold Lions in my SE and they sound great to me but then they are the only 300B's I have owned or heard. There is a guy on Ebay that can save you some money on a pair. I have bought many tubes from him. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genalex-Platinum-Matched-PAIR-Gold-Lion-PX300B-300B-Gold-Pin-Brand-New/311857121225?hash=item489c2207c9:g:VuQAAOSwfcVUAO47:sc:USPSPriority!36054!US!-1

On 7/21/2018 at 3:12 PM, joessportster said:

I just bought Al's 300B amps they came with the Sophia mesh 300 B, those sound fine I am kind of OCD and always want a reserve set of tubes. I am never comfortable having 1 set playing and it detracts from the mood.

So While I am sure the Western Electric, and Emission Labs etc are all great tubes I am not made of money and will have to stay in the 300.00 range  

Any opinions ?  Tube Depot and a review I read like Genelex Gold Lion

Call Andy

http://vintagetubeservices.com

On 7/21/2018 at 6:38 PM, Marvel said:

It isn't a reissue... a gentleman here bought the rights to everything. He has ALL the original tooling and equipment to make them. I have no idea how much money he spent to get it, but it is a big deal. They are getting it set up now.

Thanks for the clarification, I joined the mailing list to try and stay plugged in. Looks like might be outta my price range but maybe 1 day :) theres always the Lottery but I hear you have to play to win

On 7/21/2018 at 7:36 PM, wdecho said:

I have a pair of the Gold Lions in my SE and they sound great to me but then they are the only 300B's I have owned or heard. There is a guy on Ebay that can save you some money on a pair. I have bought many tubes from him. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genalex-Platinum-Matched-PAIR-Gold-Lion-PX300B-300B-Gold-Pin-Brand-New/311857121225?hash=item489c2207c9:g:VuQAAOSwfcVUAO47:sc:USPSPriority!36054!US!-1

Thanks Always nice to have feedback on ebay sellers from a trusted source

32 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Can I assume he is the man to talk to at Tube Depot ?

1 minute ago, joessportster said:

Thanks for the clarification, I joined the mailing list to try and stay plugged in. Looks like might be outta my price range but maybe 1 day :) theres always the Lottery but I hear you have to play to win

Thanks Always nice to have feedback on ebay sellers from a trusted source

Can I assume he is the man to talk to at Tube Depot ?

No at vintage tube service...