Cornscalas

ishwash

Klipsch Forums, you can indulge a thread for Bob Crites's Cornscalas, can't you? I mean he's about as Klipsch as they come, ain't he?

Here is a pair of his Cornscala Style B speakers that I purchased from Bob recently. They were unfinished in Russian birch. Finished as follows: Sanded with 220 and then 400 grit using recip and random orbital sanders. Applied Minwax Honey stain and four coats of Minwax brush-on clear gloss lacquer. Continued with next post.

20180718_174438.jpg

• Like 4

After removing the speakers and crossover, I removed the motor board. I finished the motor board and back with the same finish as the top and sides of the speaker boxes. I figured I might run them some without the grills and wanted the front to look nice. Following shows a pic of them without the grills and with a protective grill over the woofer. Notice the screens on the bass reflex openings to keep critters out of the boxes. Continued with my next post.

20180719_092722.jpg

• Like 2

I have tile floors throughout and my mortar joints are fairly deep. Moving speakers along my tile floor could really damage the bottom edge of the risers or speaker bottoms if no risers are present. The next picture shows the 8 rollers that I installed inside my risers to provide ease of movement of the speakers.  If I use only 4 rollers, the speaker gets hung-up in the mortar joints, but if I use 8 rollers per, the speakers roll on with just a little jiggle at the mortar joints. This has caused me to want to add 4 more rollers to the bottoms of my LaScalla and Chorus speakers too.

The pictures of the finished speakers in my last post shows the small gap at the bottom caused by having rollers. The gap or clearance at the bottom is essentially equal to the gap that is caused by the cleats or buttons that are added by Klipsch for their speakers. I submit that there will be no loss of bass compared to those with cleats installed. The beauty with these is the wife can move these speakers to enable cleaning around or under them without the danger of scratching the bottoms of the speakers with the vacuum cleaner head.

Last post coming up next!

20180713_094045.jpg

The Russian birch material used by Bob makes a nice cabinet that can't be "tut tutted", in my opinion. No reason to install veneer, I feel.

Raves? I could offer great raves, but it might be not nice to do so here on the Klipsch forum...smile...

Another BTW...Bob's son has joined him now, and Crites can turn these out at a faster rate than in the past. You shouldn't have to wait for very long for a pair to be built.

I am only a customer of his. Not connected in any way.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you like them. I should point out that this finishing job is not necessarily easier than using a wood stain followed by lacquer or polyurethane, or some other clear finish. Latex paint shows the uneven bristle paths of brush strokes, so does the polycrylic (Minwax, and that is how it's spelled), so one needs to use foam brushes. Latex paint is difficult to sand out bristle marks of a paint brush, or runs, whatever, because it rolls up on a sanding pad or blinds it off. The toughness of the polycrylic makes it a tough sanding job as well. I mean the cured polycrylic is harder than heck. Maybe others have a way around this no-sanding problem, the wife and I didn't, so we were very careful with the application and used those foam brushes, brushing in only one direction at all times and inside an air conditioned room so as to minimize premature setting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:14 AM, Archguy said:

Those beautiful retro grilles alone are worth the price of admission.

I thought the grills turned out nicely. I worried about doing them all the while I was doing the other stuff. Those grills are large and the cloth is heavy weight. I knew it would be a little difficult to get the cloth on the hardboard cutouts tight enough to not sag or bag outwards. Then I realized I could glue the cloth to the front surface of the hardboard. That helped a lot. Have to use a glue that will cure out clear. The "straw" cloth came from Crites also.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 9:24 PM, ishwash said:

My pair of white Cornscalas done in latex paint followed with two coats of polyacrylic to give it a tough final coating.

Normally I like natural wood finishes everywhere, all the time, mix `em up I don't care.

Being a painter most of my life I see an off white color and the grilles are a perfect compliment. Bright white or fleet white for vehicles has it's place but not here...for my tastes.

Then look at the other colors in the floor walls and trim. Cool (temperature wise) colors.

I highly suspect that you have that pair in the room that is outfitted like that!

Great Job!

• Like 1

Guest wdecho
36 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I like the look and concept of the Cornscala design. Have never seen or heard a pair though. Here is an “out there” question : could a Crites crossover and woofer be installed in a Lascala to improve the bass?

No, or very little, hardly noticeable. A good sub is all that is needed.