Unboxing 70th's...

Schu

Thanks guys... I am very happy right now. The sound is simply amazingly good with the new speakers.

I wanted to keep one of the old LS's and use it as a center channel and perhaps use the second one for a dedicated "Mono" system for my 78rpm collection but I will probably let them go to a new owner for a very good price. I think a good wood worker could make them whole again, or just live with them the way I did.... the looks never really bothered me because I used a plant to hide the one front doghouse damage.

There is something different with the 70's sonically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

Above the crossover pictures is the words walnut , 70ths. Different set of speakers showing difference.

That was my take too....

Showing differences though slight, between the Walnut/stock version and the Fancy version.

Interesting to me that it was replaced with a wire (I guess how else would you move the signal!)  

They're both pretty!!

Congrats and thanks for taking the time to lay that out. I would have been too anxious to listen to them and later regretted not taking the pictures and doing the comparison after the fact.

Glad no damage. Enjoy in good health for many years to come!

Those are gorgeous La Scalas @Schu I'd bet that the thicker mdf has a lot to do with the discernible smoothing of the sound you're talking about. That's a good thing for very revealing La Scalas as far as I'm concerned.

The tops with those elongated diamonds that stretch across highlighted by that bright gold..... plus the grille cloth with the metallic threads 

Bellissimo!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvs1670 said:

That one box top looks like it is warped from water is that what it is?  Who would let that happen, that would've really had me worried.  Glad there was no damage.

No sir... no water damage. Perhaps temperature and humidity issues in the warehouse facility. After I wiped the dust off the top boxes didn't look to bad.

I am thinking that perhaps my original LSII's were out of phase the whole time because these 70's image like a Mo Fo, it's not even close 

• Like 1

No sir... no water damage. Perhaps temperature and humidity issues in the warehouse facility. After I wiped the dust off the top boxes didn't look to bad.

I am thinking that perhaps my original LSII's were out of phase the whole time because these 70's image like a Mo Fo, it's not even close 

Beautiful speakers and congratulations! Give us a review on how they sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Schu said:

What goes in in Vegas, stays in Vegas....  never admit to possibly wiring something wrong...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest wdecho
20 hours ago, jvs1670 said:

That one box top looks like it is warped from water is that what it is?  Who would let that happen, that would've really had me worried.  Glad there was no damage.

If you ever visit a big industrial warehouse you will find the answer. Just as your garage at home it has a way of filling up fast. Those speakers were probably stacked 3 or more high with something smaller sitting on top, reason for depression. As far as dust most warehouses are not air conditioned with large fans for cooling in the summer months. I was the warehouse manager in the deep south at my last job before retiring and the employees had to go outside to cool off. 

18 hours ago, Schu said:

I seem to recall a pretty nice turntable in your rig. Don't you have/use a test record to set things up. They all have a phase test.

I do not... There really would not be much of a reason for them to be out of phase except for the one time I swapped in after market AA's... after about a month I went be to the AK.

I remember when I first got my walnut LSii's, I was extremely unhappy with the sound... Which lead me down the tube path. Eventually I was able to tame them, but this new pair is really out of this world.  images perfectly, no smearing, no granularity, no fatigue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1