CDT-5800II vs. PRO-180RPC

Kyle D

If you were finally going to pull the trigger on in-ceiling speakers for Atmos in a HT, which option would you go with and why?!  I'm having a hard time deciding and would appreciate any and all feedback/input.

My current setup:

RF-7II (L/R)

RC-64II (C)

RS-62II (x4 - SS/RS)

R-115SW (2 x subs)

the 5800's would be a great match for your gear.  If you had a full reference premier setup the pro whatchamacallit speakers would probably technically match better, but like Scrappy said, those are supposed to be install only, so if you plan to purchase retail, you don't have much choice anyway.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have (4) CDT-5800-C II with (3) LaScalas and (4) RS62 II in my home theater and they are fantastic.  They have added a completely new dimension to my setup and have really changed the movie experience.

• Like 1

Haha, love you guys.  I had a feeling you'd comment, and you all didn't disappoint.  Two of you (Cory & MIchael), I had already reached out to and talked to about this very same topic; however, just wanted to get a few more "pushes" in the direction that you guys had already provided and helped with --  just needed a little extra confidence boost in decision making.  So thanks!

Cory, I'll be contacting you when the time is right as always!  ;)

• Like 1

I will.  There are a few things I have to get done prior though.  I have a new lamp coming for my PJ hopefully today and need to put at least 10 hours on it so that Ken Whitcomb can come out and perform a calibration for me.  Afterwards, the next step in expense is putting in two new Fiber lines in the conduit to replace the existing HDMI's as I've been having issues with getting a 4K signal to the PJ due to the length of the run.  Once that is done, I'll be ready to pull the trigger on the Atmos speakers for ceiling.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Kyle D said:

Afterwards, the next step in expense is putting in two new Fiber lines in the conduit to replace the existing HDMI's as I've been having issues with getting a 4K signal to the PJ due to the length of the run. 

Hmmm...I am upgrading my Panasonic AE8000u 1080p projector to an Epson 5040UB and just ordered a new HDMI Cable last night since my current HDMI cable is old and non-4K complient.  How long is your run?  Mine is 40'.

21 minutes ago, Youthman said:

9 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Hmmm...I am upgrading my Panasonic AE8000u 1080p projector to an Epson 5040UB and just ordered a new HDMI Cable last night since my current HDMI cable is old and non-4K complient.  How long is your run?  Mine is 40'.

Have you considered JVC?  If not, definitely take your time and maybe consider it as the colors and contrast ratios (blacks) are amazing compared to the competition (ie. Epson, Sony).

My run is appx 35' and I was having issues pushing 4K from my Oppo, XboneS, and my Roku.  I should also add that my HDMI "IS" 4K compliant, so it goes to show that HDMI is not the best route for 4K and higher.  My advice; since you're already considering upgrading, is looking into HDMI alternatives (ie. Fiber, Cat6+) - options that will afford you the ability to run present AND future formats like 8K, because we both know that tech evolves so quickly that it'll be here before we know it.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Kyle D said:

Have you considered JVC?

Yes I have.  I just received an email from JVC's Marketing Team.  Might be getting one in to review in the near future.  A friend of mine has a JVC and it looks amazing!

have six CDT-5800II's installed. they perform great during Atmos soundtracks. They are big and beefy but as others stated can be self-installed. highly recommended. I also concur on the JVC projector. The picture is amazing. especially  during 4K UHD blu-rays. Just watched tomb raider and the image quality is top-notch along with the soundtrack. currently using 40ft. celerity fiber optic cable. no issues since install a little over a year ago. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kyle D said:

Who did you go through for your Celerity Fiber Kman?

I got mine through an installer not too far from me. I believe Amazon sells them among other places. 

mono price slim run also seems to get good reviews for longer runs.

Ruipro is another fiber optic cable that gets good reviews over at AVS. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33280&cl=res&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_content=hdmi_detachable_cta&utm_campaign=180619_hdmi_detachable&deliveryName=DM2664&AID=11051853&PID=8167115&ref=cj&utm_term=VigLink2-2917105

https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-4K60HZ-HDMI2-0b-Supports-HDCP2-2/dp/B07287LTRZ

https://www.amazon.com/Celerity-Technologies-DFO-40P-Fiber-Optic/dp/B009CH3RMA

http://www.celeritytek.com/product-DFO.html

12 hours ago, Kman said:

Awesome!  I went ahead and purchased two cables of the Ruipro as the reviews are pretty strong across the board and the price is right.  We'll see how it works out!

15 hours ago, Kyle D said:

Awesome!  I went ahead and purchased two cables of the Ruipro as the reviews are pretty strong across the board and the price is right.  We'll see how it works out!

it should be fine. at this point there are very few options for longer runs. for shorter runs I use mono price premium certified HDMI. no issues at all with 4k stuff. 

• Like 1