Schvitzin'

JBCODD

A hunnert  freakin' twenty degrees in parts of the metro Phoenix area today. Schvitzin' hard.

Third day inna row at 120. Hope this ends soon......

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Edited by JBCODD
More sniveling
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

They always talk about a "dry heat," but having been to Arizona several times, I don't see it as an improvement over our Gulf Coast weather.  We get bountiful rain and plenty of clouds to help us through the summers.  Arizona is just sunny and hot. 

Yeah, last year when we drove out to San Diego we stopped for gas in Yuma; it was 117 degrees! I can confirm, at 117 degrees it doesn't make a damn if it's a dry heat!!!!!!!!! 😲

10 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

They always talk about a "dry heat," but having been to Arizona several times, I don't see it as an improvement over our Gulf Coast weather.  We get bountiful rain and plenty of clouds to help us through the summers.  Arizona is just sunny and hot. 

You must have missed Monsoon season which is what we are in the midst of now. Arizona is amazingly green, the desert plants are blooming and even the animals are enjoying the difference. Yep its hot, and usually dry.  Nebraska is much more unpleasant when it is 90 than Arizona is when its 105.  I like the Gulf area also, but I love the desert.  Good thing we aren't all trying to live in the same place.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dbomberger said:

You must have missed Monsoon season which is what we are in the midst of now. Arizona is amazingly green, the desert plants are blooming and even the animals are enjoying the difference. Yep its hot, and usually dry.  Nebraska is much more unpleasant when it is 90 than Arizona is when its 105.  I like the Gulf area also, but I love the desert.  Good thing we aren't all trying to live in the same place.

Monsoon season must be almost all the rain you get.  Your annual rainfall is 14 inches.  Ours is 47 inches.  It's not unusual for us to get 10 inches over the course of a few days or a week from time-to-time.  We got around 45 inches from Hurricane Harvey, alone, last year.  That was pretty exceptional.

I like Arizona, including its deserts.  The northeastern part is full of pine forest.  I wouldn't live there because it's not "home" to me, but I do like the state.  The Pinetop area is nice.  Highway 89A is real nice where it cuts through the northern tip of Grand Canyon National Park.  Then, there are places like Kayenta, which leave me wondering how people live there.  It's a real town, but wow, how it's in the middle of nowhere.  Good memories of various road trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Monsoon season must be almost all the rain you get.  Your annual rainfall is 14 inches.  Ours is 47 inches.  It's not unusual for us to get 10 inches over the course of a few days or a week from time-to-time.  We got around 45 inches from Hurricane Harvey, alone, last year.  That was pretty exceptional.

We get 3.7" in a "normal" year.  Many times less as we are in a prolonged drought. 

And I still see these idiots planting grass and letting irrigation water run down the street. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

We get 3.7" in a "normal" year.  Many times less as we are in a prolonged drought. 

And I still see these idiots planting grass and letting irrigation water run down the street. 

Wow!  I don't think I could live with so little rain.  I bet the car wash business is really slow there.

Its funny, I was talking to my co-worker who works in our Scottsdale office about the weather and he said how nice it must be that its 76 deg here in the Springs. Then my phone alert went off I had to hang up and get the cars inside due to the severe thunderstorm warning. It just missed our house but Manitou Springs got pounded:

image.png.fc71427318a0e7678896219c14e1cec5.pngimage.png.d082a4c85dbfd43e1441c33c1df8ea2b.png

image.png.63836746a7d48c9aa84242f22c18a089.png

5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I like Arizona, including its deserts.  The northeastern part is full of pine forest.  I wouldn't live there because it's not "home" to me, but I do like the state.  The Pinetop area is nice.  Highway 89A is real nice where it cuts through the northern tip of Grand Canyon National Park.  Then, there are places like Kayenta, which leave me wondering how people live there.  It's a real town, but wow, how it's in the middle of nowhere.  Good memories of various road trips.

Those are nice areas, I prefer the desert personally (or I wouldn't be here).  You're correct, the monsoons are very important for the water and the good the water does.  It's Oasis like here at the moment.  (South of Tucson, 40 minutes from the Border).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dbomberger said:

Those are nice areas, I prefer the desert personally (or I wouldn't be here).  You're correct, the monsoons are very important for the water and the good the water does.  It's Oasis like here at the moment.  (South of Tucson, 40 minutes from the Border).

I really, really like Green Valley AZ.  Those mountains to the east sure are pretty as the sun goes down.  One of my favorite all time restaurants is down in Tubac.    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I lived off of 60th st and Indian School rd , a stones throw away from the Az country club . The wasting of water was incredible !

59 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

I lived off of 60th st and Indian School rd , a stones throw away from the Az country club . The wasting of water was incredible !

59 minutes ago, sunburnwilly said:

Too true. When I was transferred from Colorado Springs in 2000, the Springs was under strict water rationing (Colorado owed Kansas a lot of water drawn from the Arkansas River) watering lawns on certain days, no washing cars in driveways, no collecting rain runoff. I got to Phoenix and every apartment complex had ponds and fountains, golf courses everywhere, watered daily, hundreds of thousands of irrigated acres of farmland,etc. I was stunned by the profligate usage in a desert environment. Prolly why almost none of the Colorado river drainage water ever reaches the ocean.