Elevating KG4's

ThomasD.

Didn't want to tag onto the similar thread regarding elevating Heresy's.  I realize Heresy's & KG4's are completely different beasts with the KG4's PR and Heresy's 3way & mid/high horns.  I haven't yet progressed to owning a true Heritage series but it will happen when the opportunity arises.  These KG4's came available first at a reasonable price so they are what I'm dealing with now.  I find them to have a surprising presence & forwardness that I didn't expect to hear without the mid horn.  Bass is quite adequate for my preference.  Will have Bob Crites go over the x/o's in the near future but am unsure if the Titanium diaphrams will be to my liking or not.  Anyway, back to the subject at hand.  The KG's have the 2" (+/-) factory riser but I still angled them up 5-6 degrees with a healthy toe in to the listening position.  I still find myself sitting lower & lower down to really get the full range of sound (mainly upper mids & highs).  So again,  will raising these on stands, solid blocks or an end table effectively change the low end performance with the PR's?  These KG4's are my first experience with rear mounted PR's as my Polks have front mounted PR's and aren't quite as position sensitive or are sealed like my Monitor7c's .  Does anyone raise their Forte's off the floor.  Other than my Polk SDA2a's, I find most of the vintage type floor standing speakers too low for my ears in a standard listening position.  Thanks

I have a pair of KG4s that are on stands in a carpeted room.  The stands elevate them so that they are at ear level when seated.  I am impressed with the KG4s sound.  I haven't listened to them sitting directly on the floor, but I can't imagine getting more bass out of them than I do in their current position.  I'm running a vintage Pioneer SX-850 with them. 

Used to have 2 pair of KG4's, stacked on top of each other ... guess that solved the "riser problem." :D  Awesome speakers and think they are "pretty close" to Heresy's.  But IMO they do need the titanium diaphragm.  Think the general consensus is 80% for upgrading, 20% for "no."

Regards, Emile

@tromprof & @Opus  That's pretty much the answer I was hoping for.  Have either of you upgraded the x/o's or gone with the Titanium diaphrams?

@Emile  Your advice on these KG4's was the main reason I went ahead and got them along with the KG1's.  All of which I am very pleased with.  I am listening mainly to the KG1's sitting on top of the KG4's along with a 10" Klipsch sub,  at that elevation those KG1's really come alive when given a little wattage.  Much bigger sound stage than their size would imply.  I don't use the sub with the KG4's, prefer them alone.  The Titanium diaphrams aren't that expensive so guess I should go ahead and try them this winter when the upgraded x/o's are installed.  Can always go back to the originals.  Also, was trying to find any threads on tweeking or strengthening the KG4's cabinet while I've got them apart.  Is there any recommendations on these cabinets that might help with resonance etc.?    Thanks all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThomasD. said:

KG1's

Hi Thomas ... yes ... got a new vintage Kenwood amp (KR-4070) for my "enroute" KP-3002's. Did not want to fool around with taking banana plugs off my "good' speakers, so just hooked it up to a spare pair of KG1.5's. I was AMAZED at the sound :D 

Cheers, Emile

31 minutes ago, ThomasD. said:

@Opus  That's pretty much the answer I was hoping for.  Have either of you upgraded the x/o's or gone with the Titanium diaphrams?

No, I have not done anything to my KG4s.  As far as I know, they are stock original.  I bought them at a flea market and have never opened them up.  They are currently used in a secondary system, and I like the way they sound as is. 

My experience with kg4s, is that when ab testing them against heresys using an hk430 in a10x12 carpeted room, I liked the kg4s just a little bit better.

Both pairs of speakers were stock.

Don't get in a hurry to change things. Sometimes what you change just makes it different not better.

You can't go wrong with either speaker, depending on the associated gear.

Tom

• 7 months later...

Back near the holidays i bought my first pair of KG4's. I have refinished them and built stands for them to get them up near ear level. The stands made a big difference to me in hearing the tweeter much better. I have ordered the Ti diaphragms for them. That will be my next upgrade.  

51899411_3176918479000619_4546046385429938176_n.jpg

52013923_3176918539000613_6603294290959400960_n.jpg

@nmorris43  those look very nice. How did you refinish them? Completely strip them down or a ‘Howard’s ‘ refinish?  I have since installed new Crites x/o’s and Ti tweets. Major improvement over original SQ. I’ve also acquired a pair of Quartets and have to admit that the KG4’s even though only 2-way, are richer & fuller sounding. This may change slightly when I get around to upgrading the Quartets x/o’s & tweets but the upgraded KG4’s  will remain in my line up indefinitely. 

• 1 year later...