Picked up an older Rockford Fosgate RFP-2000 High Current home amp

avguytx

I just finished installing 
Punch PP4 -T 1.5" Aluminum Compression Bullet Tweeters to replace the old school MTX tweeter speakers. 

and the RF subs about 2 weeks ago.

I made the 5th order box with 2 - 8 ohm 18" Rockford Fosgate subs ran parallel and powered by a Rockford Fosgate RF2000 amp ...can you say BASS

I'm trying to find at least 2 of them MTX mids. They are not working. I've tried several places to find or rebuild them with no luck. 

The Infinity speaker I just replaced the tweeters with Rockford Fosgate and the 4" mid with new Infinitys.

Edited by HawgLife

• 1 year later...

Well, literally 3 years later since I'd replaced the majority of the smaller caps inside the amp and got it working, I decided to hook it back up and do some listening.  Jeez....why didn't I leave this amp in 3 years ago?  I'm not going to go into a bunch of funny sounding descriptions of sound but lets just say those 32 Mosfet's have some magic in them.  Gong back through music I'm intimately familiar with over the last 40+ years of listening to many systems, I can say that I'm quite impressed, and happy, with this amp being the "main" now.  I've read where people compare Mosfet amps, like Hafler, to tube amps in some respects.  Could be I guess.  All I can say is, it sounds outstanding on the Epic CF-3's.

Still seriously contemplating getting a new preamp and replace the almost 40 year old Carver C-1.  Although extensively rebuilt, I would have to think something even like a Rotel RC1572 MkII would make a difference.  Who knows.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I've read where people compare Mosfet amps, like Hafler, to tube amps in some respects.  Could be I guess.  All I can say is, it sounds outstanding on the Epic CF-3's.

I believe the Parasounds and "00" model Adcoms use mosfets good sounding amplifiers. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, jjptkd said:

I believe the Parasounds and "00" model Adcoms use mosfets good sounding amplifiers. 

I know one thing for sure, the RF amp sounds the best on the CF-3's and not quite as good on the ads L1230's.  

It is all in their curves. What I am talking about is in the data sheets. Mosfets have curves like a pentode tube hence tube sounding. There are those that prefer the sound of the BJT's. No perfect amplifier for everyone. Personally I like the sound of both but my choice of amplification is triode tubes and yes their curves are different. But there is nothing wrong with any of them if utilized properly.