La Scala resonance problem

To test take a bar clamp that is long enough to clamp across the entire front of the bin.  You might want to protect the wood finish with something.  Clamp down just enough to hold it firm.  Listen to the difference.  Not something I would leave in place but this would give you an idea.  Actual braces glued and screwed would do the job better.   These old speakers might vary in their condition... older and dried out plywood might be "looser" and have more resonance than other cabinets.  

• Like 1

Is this is an issue with most older LA scalas?   When we say resonance, do we mean vibrating cabinets or irritating obvious peaks in certain frequencies?   This is something I need to know before buying my pair as well.  +1 of photos or links to fixes.  Thanks 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Is this is an issue with most older LA scalas?    

There is a large peak around 150HZ in the La Scala design old and new. Klipsch made the bassbin walls thicker on the II to help address the sidewall vibration.

11 minutes ago, kink56 said:

I had the same problem with Belles.  I posted a review complaining of this resonance. Some people thought I was trolling, or crazy or both. 

The Belle also has a similar frequency peak. I have not noticed a resonance in the Belle. I believe short sidewalls and factory mounted grills isolate any vibration.

There were pictures and some threads on the forum about this but it has been a while... a quick search didn't come up with any.  I should correct my response to JoeM38... that EQ to cut the peak could ALSO be helpful as much as I hate EQ.  You just have to get those walls to stop flapping first.  I'll look for some pictures.  

26 minutes ago, Stefano_2018 said:

ok, but how I can solve it? what I have to do on the case?

Stefano

Again... try a bar clamp if you have one long enough (or borrow one) to reach across the front of the speaker.  Not as good as an installed brace but will give you an idea.  It doesn't cure everything but bracing will take the buzz away and tighten up the bass. 

24 minutes ago, muel said:

.  I should correct my response to JoeM38... that EQ to cut the peak could ALSO be helpful as much as I hate EQ. 

I believe in the DSP settings Roy came up with for the lascala he had a 7 Db cut at 148Hz.I used to not use EQ but, I have moved  over to the DSP/Pro speaker side...

11 minutes ago, Stefano_2018 said:

ok, but how I can solve it? what I have to do on the case?

Stefano

I have heard of people putting tennis balls in the gap of the bass horn and that helps a little. Fastlane audio used to sell braces you can glue but I am not sure if they do anymore. If you have 'beater' cabs you can cut 1/2'' plywood sheets and glue them to the sides as well.

3 minutes ago, JoeM38 said:

I believe in the DSP settings Roy came up with for the lascala he had a 7 Db cut at 148Hz.I used to not use EQ but, I have moved  over to the DSP/Pro speaker side...

I found this peak when I was measuring pink noise a few years ago.  At the time I thought it was something crazy about my room causing the peak.  Using DSP in FOOBAR the closest I could come was to cut 156Hz about 7db that I just came about by ear... there was still a peak even with the 7db cut but cutting any more sounded worse.

LaScala's are still awesome!  

25 minutes ago, muel said:

Again... try a bar clamp if you have one long enough (or borrow one) to reach across the front of the speaker.  Not as good as an installed brace but will give you an idea.  It doesn't cure everything but bracing will take the buzz away and tighten up the bass. 

Sorry Muel, but I didn't know your reply, my english in bad.

tanks to all for your answers.

the vibration comes from red circled zone. Is It correct? See  attached picture

Thanks

Stefano

KLIPSCH-LA-SCALA-extra-big-18725-605-2211.jpg