La Scala resonance problem

2 minutes ago, Stefano_2018 said:

Sorry Muel, but I didn't know your reply, my english in bad.

tanks to all for your answers.

the vibration comes from red circled zone. Is It correct? See  attached picture

Thanks

Stefano

KLIPSCH-LA-SCALA-extra-big-18725-605-2211.jpg

Yes, that would be the weakest area prone to vibration.

• Like 1

First question for me to ask, is....does the "resonance" produce a "buzz" type of sound?...if so, then I would hunt down EXACTLY what is buzzing, and find a way to stop it.  It can even be the wiring inside the bass bins rattling against the sides in the bass bin...who knows?  It could be a veneer separation somewhere in the plywood used...or a broken glue seam...lots of possibilities!  Just hunt it down and find EXACTLY where the "buzz" is coming from!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Damn now you guys have me thinking I should just keep my Walnut Forte I that I love instead.... Just upgrade them...... Any thoughts on this? 

That's not even a choice for those that have heard and enjoyed a La Scala... anytime you come to Vegas feel to drop me a line to come listen. Guaranteed to satisfy the most discriminating listener.

31 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Damn now you guys have me thinking I should just keep my Walnut Forte I that I love instead.... Just upgrade them...... Any thoughts on this? 

I implore you YES, keep them, they do not have these resonance (not rattling, but certain frequency excitement) issues LaScalas and Belles have.   In fact I find the K-horns have similar resonance issues. I sold my Forte III and kept my Forte 1 with Crites crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragm upgrades.    I also prefer my Fortes with them facing straight forward. I tried various toe-in angles and prefer them straight forward.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

First question for me to ask, is....does the "resonance" produce a "buzz" type of sound?...if so, then I would hunt down EXACTLY what is buzzing, and find a way to stop it.  It can even be the wiring inside the bass bins rattling against the sides in the bass bin...who knows?  It could be a veneer separation somewhere in the plywood used...or a broken glue seam...lots of possibilities!  Just hunt it down and find EXACTLY where the "buzz" is coming from!

My experience with Belles and K-horns was not any cabinet buzzing or rattling.  It was a matter of a narrow band of upper bass frequencies were exaggerated, like an eq band was boosted.   It was annoying me so much as to obliterate any and all other positive aspects of the speaker. 

6 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

• Thanks 1

Yes, it seems that people love their Klipsch speakers so much AFTER they do extensive mods on them around here.   I say if a speaker needs this much in the way of mods, maybe the design isn't so great after all.   I am not saying one should never mod anything. I am just saying that there ARE great speakers out there that do not require all this fuss. 

• Like 1

This whole thread is based upon some home-built LaScalas to begin with, it seems...and what some people call "resonance" is because they hear a "buzzing" sound at particular frequency(ies)....I rest my case...clarity of language usage is not exactly what I am seeing today in this thread. Anytime there is a PASSIVE crossover network involved which is NOT able to eliminate a particular resonance issue, it is not a fault with the speaker folded horn lens design itself, it just requires something to be done about it.  An active crossover would solve it in a heart-beat.  But for a three-way, FULLY horn-loaded speaker design, the LaScala is hard to beat at the price it goes for, OLD OR NEW!  Production costs begin to skyrocket when things like wedges are added, which have to be custom-cut and custom-fitted for each side of the bass bin. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I'm no acoustical engineer, but can someone explain to me how anchoring the side wall midway doesn't just push the 150Hz resonance up to 300Hz?

it depends on which way the horn lens mouth side-walls need to be pushed...in or out, and exactly where...that is why Klipsch opted for 1" thick sides on the LaScala II...thicker sides of denser material have more rigidity, and do not need braces because of that.  If you really want to have a tunable speaker LaScala, then take some all-thread, nuts, washers and lock-nuts and tune the sides of the bass bin, in OR out, on either side.  It may look butt-ugly, but it will also probably work, too!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I'm no acoustical engineer, but can someone explain to me how anchoring the side wall midway doesn't just push the 150Hz resonance up to 300Hz?

I remember a discussion about bracing a while back and someone brought this up. It seems its better to have thicker walls than bracing as bracing simply raises the resonant frequency between the braces. That is probably why the LS II has thicker side walls. The LaScala industrial with fiberglass coating is very inert from what I have heard as well. Personally, I have LaScalas and have not noticed any detrimental issues from the walls vibrating.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I remember a discussion about bracing a while back and someone brought this up. It seems its better to have thicker walls than bracing as bracing simply raises the resonant frequency between the braces. That is probably why the LS II has thicker side walls. The LaScala industrial with fiberglass coating is very inert from what I have heard as well. Personally, I have LaScalas and have not noticed any detrimental issues from the walls vibrating.

Thicker walls were never really needed because if the front edges flex then you only REALLY need to stiffen those front edges up to eliminate the flex at that area, since the joints stiffen up the rest of the bass bin.  There a re a number of ways to stiffen up the front edges of the bass horn...just adding a 2-3" strip of something like Baltic birch or solid hardwood COULD solve it, even though it might not be aesthetically pleasing.

Thicker material for the top and bottom of the bass bin is just there to make it aesthetically more pleasing since the LaScala II has thicker sides added top solve most of that issue...If you ever meet Roy Delgado, just ask him what "Mike" said about the all-thread thing...he outta get a good laugh out of that...Mike worked with Roy for over a decade, developing the Jubilee and getting the development of the LaScala II rolling..."Mike" was the worker bee, or one of them.  "Mike" could care less about aesthetics...he likes simple solutions.

3 hours ago, JoeM38 said:

Please.. let us know which are the better ones. 

Golly, I guess it is not possible there are speakers out there that sound great without extensive modifications,  I was wrong! 

I have never owned any speakers in my life that disappointed me as much as Belles or K-horns PERIOD!  I am happy with my Forte Is however.   And anytime one has to change cabinets, drivers, horns, crossovers, to make their "great" speaker satisfactory, well logic would dictate it wasn't such as great speaker after all.  As for how "revealing" Klipsch is of electronic shortcomings, try ProAc speakers.  They are far more revealing in my experience, but do not require extensive mods to be able to enjoy them.  

I have never experience any buzzing or rattling with my Belles. I simply experienced a upper bass hump that the cabinet contributed to.   There is nothing wrong with the workmanship of the cabinet making other than creating accentuated frequencies.    If you cannot handle an honest opinion or experience someone has counter to yours as it come to the sacred cow that is Klipsch then avoid my posts.  I do not succumb to peer pressure.  

• Like 1

I have heard GREAT things from engineers I used to work with about proarc speakers.   Never heard a pair myself though.   The Forte is a solid balanced speaker out of the box I would have to agree and think it will work quite well in the real world in many rooms.