Cornwall II acoustic blanket for mid and tweet horn.

jwgorman

I’m super happy with how the CWIIs sound in my living room but Chris’ foam on the edges of the horn suggestions due to lack of polar control led me to put heavy drapes near the speakers and in stall foam at the edges of the mids. Looking at the grill structure I thought it may be possible for reflections to bounce off the motor board. So I installed self adhesive felt, bought at Amazon. I admit I don’t know about the mechanics of what changed. 

I spent a couple hours listening last night and I think it’s worth recommending as an experiment for those with horns mounted from the front. 

It seems like the imaging is more precise and it’s easier to hear individual instruments in a dense mix. This is a $10 experiment that is easily reversible.

DFB1FCAA-E5EF-4F3F-AF14-811F4F7F3D7F.jpeg

I’m super happy with how the CWIIs sound in my living room but Chris’ foam on the edges of the horn suggestions due to lack of polar control led me to put heavy drapes near the speakers and in stall foam at the edges of the mids. Looking at the grill structure I thought it may be possible for reflections to bounce off the motor board. So I installed self adhesive felt, bought at Amazon. I admit I don’t know about the mechanics of what changed. 
I spent a couple hours listening last night and I think it’s worth recommending as an experiment for those with horns mounted from the front. 
It seems like the imaging is more precise and it’s easier to hear individual instruments in a dense mix. This is a $10 experiment that is easily reversible.

DFB1FCAA-E5EF-4F3F-AF14-811F4F7F3D7F.thumb.jpeg.4b2365d76e6324597ba05e9b9f9a9c04.jpeg

I'm intrigued, but confused. What is the felt on the outside doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a bit confused myself. I doubt it is thick enough to help with the freqs that the mid can’t control, but my theory is there is some high freq stuff bouncing back from the grill? Or maybe is does actually do something to the freqs low enough that the horn can’t control them? I know AR used to put felt around their mids and tweets.  Of course they weren’t using horns on the 9s. 

Then you would be doubting wrong, perhaps you forgot that the mid plays up well past the crossover point to the tweeter depending upon your version xover is 12 db/octave so a lot of overlap. Zero impact on the workings of the woofer but here again you will catch a small amount of the upper range of the woofer but the thin layer of felt won't do a lot there as the range is low 400Hz. to around 1KHz. with most of that being reflected out and away from the horn mouth but a little will get back to the mid horn but not very much.

Some interesting discussions on the subject:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12967-Factors-Affecting-Sonic-Quality-of-Mid-amp-HF-Horns-amp-Waveguides

I find that also adding a thin layer of foam to at least one large reflecting surface help further reduce some of the horn loading impacting the sound.  Some more on similar ideas at:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.536.5361&rep=rep1&type=pdf

You will have to play with some of these ideas to optimize for your liking.

11 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Some interesting discussions on the subject:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12967-Factors-Affecting-Sonic-Quality-of-Mid-amp-HF-Horns-amp-Waveguides

I find that also adding a thin layer of foam to at least one large reflecting surface help further reduce some of the horn loading impacting the sound.  Some more on similar ideas at:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.536.5361&rep=rep1&type=pdf

You will have to play with some of these ideas to optimize for your liking.

That’s a lot of information! Holy cow.