Cans for outdoor use

rockhound

What do you use? I have tried numerous earbud style phones but I can't ever get them to fit right. Anyway looking for a can style that I can wear while working out and while mowing. Since I want something I can use while mowing it will need to be comfy and can take sweating. Anybody got a recommendation? Would rather a wired version for Android phones.

If you're not getting a good seal I think you need a bigger rubber tip.  The buds which came with my ASUS Zen phone were large and gave a great seal for me.  Unfortunately I broke them.  

Sony buds from Walgreens with the biggest tip (in the box but you must put them on) are almost good but not up to the ASUS. YMMV.

As far as cans I'm recently in love with Logitech G230.  Good seal, great sound.  But I think the seal is not nearly as good at in-ear and if you're doing serious moving they are going to fall off.

The gamers are sort of a land of their own and IMHO have more than caught up with "hi-fi."  But pads are foam and you might want plastic. These have separate mini plugs for mic and earphone but I bought an adapter from Staples.  PE has them too.  This to talk on the phone.

You might look at Sennheiser and Klipsch but they are more expensive.

In any case I don't know about Apple.

Overall, for your application, I think you should work on the seal issue with an in the ear.  If you have a health club, see what the people there are using.  I don't know.  Maybe cans with a tight fitting baseball cap to keep them from falling off?

WMcD

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 10:38 AM, rockhound said:

What do you use? I have tried numerous earbud style phones but I can't ever get them to fit right. Anyway looking for a can style that I can wear while working out and while mowing. Since I want something I can use while mowing it will need to be comfy and can take sweating. Anybody got a recommendation? Would rather a wired version for Android phones.

Wireless but try the Jaybird Freedoms. The only ones that seal great and stay in while working out

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

Howard Leight Impact Pro R-01902.  Amplified muffs with an NRR of 30 dB, but limits amplified sound to 82 dB.  They have an 1/8" stereo input and from a brief listen sound rather nice, with rolled off extreme highs and lows. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Howard-Leight-Impact-Pro-Electronic-Earmuff/27954606

HL_ImpactPro_Muff web.jpg

I had something very similar to the above.....I think they were called "Pro-Ears" 

I think they were these

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ears-Electronic-Protection-Amplification/dp/B001RMWO9A/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1534375859&sr=8-10&keywords=pro+ears

My wife to this day, still gets into a hissy fit when she talks about these.  She swears that I wore them to block her conversation(s) when I was sitting on my backhoe.  When in truth, I was BETTER able to hear her with them ON verses off.  They take a certain frequency range (human voice) and let that through but they attenuate everything else.  (there is a little microphone on them as I recall)

None the less....  I then plugged my CD player (pre-I-Pod days) and had at it.  They later broke....I was going to replace them and I got to thinking, why not use in ear monitors and use these for simple attenuation?

Then....they totally broke (as in wouldn't stay on head and needed replaced)

I was going to replace them again, with same thing....then got to thinking about better alternatives.

I bought a pair (two actually) of Klipsch Custom 3 in ear monitors.  Those plug a lot of noise and you can hear whatever you're playing.  I THEN wear something very similar to these over my IEM's and now, it's essentially dead quiet outside but I can hear very nicely, whatever is playing.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Over-Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=sr_1_6_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534376116&sr=8-6-spons&keywords=over+ear+hearing+protection&refinements=p_89%3A3M+Personal+Protective+Equipment&psc=1

So, in the end, I wear both and feel a bit vulnerable if I only have one or the other.

Don't you know that my IEM's just last week, broke and might finally need replaced!!  (but I have a spare set of Custom 3's new in box ready to go!!)

For my noisiest "activities" I use plugs and muffs, too.  These electronic muffs replace a similar set of Peltors.  With both I am well protected (-30 - 33) but essentially deaf.  Hopefully, the new ones will protect my ears and let me hear voices. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 7:28 PM, JohnA said:

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

Howard Leight Impact Pro R-01902.  Amplified muffs with an NRR of 30 dB, but limits amplified sound to 82 dB.  They have an 1/8" stereo input and from a brief listen sound rather nice, with rolled off extreme highs and lows. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Howard-Leight-Impact-Pro-Electronic-Earmuff/27954606

HL_ImpactPro_Muff web.jpg

I like these and will get a pair to test out against the MPOW's I found. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 4 months later...