Baszha

baszha

I just read  you cant hook up a pre-amp to a existing AVR because the AVR already has a power supply, amplifier, pre-amp, and processor. If this is true why have I been told if my AVR does not have enough power that as long as it has pre=amp inputs I can add a pre-amp. I was thinking of buying the Denon AVR6400H thinking it would be enough power to run 2 Klipsch RF-7lll,s with a RF-64 center,and 2 RP-250s surrounds with two R-115SW subs. Now the more I read the more I hear about "pre-amps. It seems advanced HT purist mostly use pre-amps for max power and clean sound. My system will be a 5.2. If it,s true I cant hook up a pre-amp to an AVR then what do I hook up the Pre-amp to? Also what are the pre-amp in plugs for on the back of an AVR. I want all the advanced features of a AVR, but I also want the power to spare of a pre-amp. Some have said give the system a listen then decide if I need a pre-amp.What would be a good pre-amp choice for the speakers I have chosen? Another question...…...How is a pre-amp hooked up in a HT system? Does the pre-amp send the boosted signal of power to the AVR or other amp for the speakers. Or does the pre-amp send the boosted signal directly to the speakers which would be hooked up to the pre-amp? I thought that hooking up a pre-amp was as simple as two plugs going into the pre-amp in plugs on the AVR.  But now I am confused about all the plugs on the back of the Pre-amp...If I will be using a 5.2 system, where will the speakers and subs connect? AVR? [ which I don't even know I can do] or the pre-amp. I am new to the hobby and have found that it is easy to find plenty of the components needed for HT, but how to put the system together, and what speakers need for a power supply have eluded me. I really cant wait for your answers to these questions about hooking up a pre-amp to a AVR..it just doesn't make sense that you cant do it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Edited by baszha
needed more information