Sold-1976 Klipschorns

AudioNB

On 8/5/2018 at 3:54 PM, GrapplesInStereo said:

Driving up Thursday to demo them with my Audion Sterling integrated amp, and as long as the amp pairs well with the speakers it looks like I’ll be going home with them. 

Somewhat tangential for this thread, but does anyone have experience pairing Klipschorns with Audion gear? I currently have some Cornwall IIIs that work nicely with this amp. My Audion puts out 8 watts per channel. I think this should be sufficient power for the speakers, but since this will be my first time looking at Klipschorns I thought it couldn’t hurt to get input from other Khorn owners who may be using low watt amps. I really don’t want to have to upgrade my amp right now, and if this isn’t  going to be a good fit it’d be best to know before I drive 7 hours round trip and waste the seller’s time. 

I have the sterling EL34 and have been really happy with the combo... on both my Cornwalls and Khorns

• AudioNB changed the title to Sold-1976 Klipschorns
21 minutes ago, AudioNB said:

Hey everyone, happy to report that the klipschorns have found a good home, to a fellow Klipsch community member-GrapplesinStereo!  Thanks for the input and interest everyone.

Cheers!

Hopefully we'll get the full report with photos soon.........🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AudioNB said:

Hey everyone, happy to report that the klipschorns have found a good home, to a fellow Klipsch community member-GrapplesinStereo!  Thanks for the input and interest everyone.

Cheers!

Thank you for listing them here first and keeping them in the Klipsch family.  :emotion-21:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GrapplesInStereo said:

Hey guys, just wanted to check back in now that things have settled down a bit for me. The past three days have been a little crazy to say the least. I decided to drive up and buy these speakers from @AudioNB as my wife was getting ready to go out of town for work. That left me in the position of having to clean these things up, reassemble them, get rid of my old speakers, and hook these Klipschorns up to my stereo all while doing solo daddy duty to two boys under three. Thankfully these speakers were pretty pristine and didn't need too much to get up and going. I did take the opportunity to clean them thoroughly and buff the wood while the speakers were disassembled. I am glad I did because I'm not sure I'm going to move these things much more in the future. I am still surprised at how much work it took to get these speakers from Richmond, VA to Winston Salem, NC. Now that they're in my basement, hopefully they won't need to be moved for the next twenty years. I may be a young man, but even I'm too old to lug these things around much more. I'll be honest, I'm blown away that guys like  @tidmack have had four of these things. I do love these Klipschorns, but just the idea of moving four of these sets of speakers makes my back hurt.

I wanted to respond directly to everyone who gave me advice or asked questions about this sale. Here goes:

First @windashine offered up this suggestion for moving these:

It's a really great suggestion. I didn't see it until yesterday, after I'd finished moving them. The appliance dolly would certainly be helpful to most people, but because I was getting these out of one basement and moving them into another there were too many bottlenecks for me and my friend to have been able to use an appliance dolly. If one were to move these long distances on a single level a dolly would be fantastic. Unfortunately for us, with this particular move the hard work came when we had to heft them up and down stairs, and I don't think it would have been useful for us to have a dolly. However, if anyone in the future comes across this thread and is thinking about using a dolly, I'd recommend it if your specific move involved carrying them long distances. I was able to park within just a few feet of each entrance and exit we were using, so the dolly wasn't necessary, but I think a lot of people would benefit from having one.

@wvu80 offered up some suggestions in his post:

This was all solid advice. The most useful (which I did see before I left and probably wouldn't have thought of without the suggestion) recommendation was to take cardboard. I took four large heavy duty boxes that I wound up breaking down and laying flat in the cargo area of the minivan. I really couldn't have moved them the way I did without the cardboard. Fantastic suggestion, it's one that save us a lot of time packing.

As for @wvu80's request that I take pictures of how I loaded these in the van, sorry, but I didn't see your post until after I unloaded the speakers. I will say that it is 100% doable to move these in a minivan. The way we did it was to put the speakers in lengthwise with the bass bins facing downward. We put cardboard on the flooring of the van to prevent any scratching or denting of the veneer due to the about one dozen metal anchors on the floor of the van. Since I took all the seats out for the move, all of the anchors for the seats and armrests were exposed on the floor of the van and would have definitely damaged the speakers without some solid padding. The cardboard saved us with this. After we put the cardboard on the floor of the cargo area (making sure that all in-floor anchors were completely covered) we then put moving blankets over the cardboard so that the entire floor of the cargo area had two levels of padding. The cardboard was our base layer, and the moving blankets were our top layer. As I said earlier, we initially put these in lengthwise, but we did turn them 90 degrees once they were in the cargo area. We set the bass bins in the cargo area not unlike you would a table. Once one end of the bass bins was on the cardboard/moving blankets double layer of padding, we slid the bass bins in slowly. Once the bins were completely in the cargo area we were able to make the 90 degree turn by lifting one end of the bass bins carefully over the interior wheel well of the minivan. This involved two you fairly physically fit guys working together. I would definitely recommend this method but only to people in pretty good shape. I feel like this easily could've been back surgery territory for someone with back issues or for someone out of practice in lifting very heavy loads. 

@dirtmudd Sorry I didn't answer you sooner when you asked if these were home yet. Yes, they made it largely in one peace. Unfortunately, I did some damage to one of the side panels, but there were no tears to the grill cloth and I was able to repair the damage to the frame with some gorilla glue and a clamp. There is now a slight bow to the frame, but it's not anything someone else would notice.

@Lemon string offered up his advice on the pairing of these speakers with Audion amps when he posted:

I had completely forgotten, but I remembered when I saw that post tonight that when I was thinking about getting a pair of Cornwalls that @Lemon string recommended Audion amps to me. This must've been a couple of years ago. Shortly after his recommendation I came across a great Sterling EL34 hardwired integrated amp for cheap and jumped on it based largely on his recommendation. I've been very happy with it and would also make the same recommendation for anyone looking into Cornwalls or Klipschorns. I have now tried my amp with both, and it is a solid paring. Thanks for the tip!

As for @Shakeydeal's comment:

Sorry for the delay! Here's that report! Hope it has some useful information for other people in the future. This forum has always been a great resource for me even though I'm not that active on it. I'm happy to be able to finally contribute something of substance.

And lastly, to @Dave1290's comment:

You are right on the money. These things are awesome.

One final thank you to @AudioNB for selling me to these at a great price and to @Lemon string and @Shakeydeal for posting about how great of a deal this was. I've been looking for some of these for years, and while the move was harder than I thought, and the drive was held up by traffic and construction, I'm ultimately glad to have them. Thanks to everyone who offered up advice. It was all very much appreciated!

We need some pictures !

Also include the cornwalls !

• Like 1