The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

Super Cornwall 1.0

With the surprising and overwhelming success of the Super Heresy I Modification, in the same spirit I have modded my Cornwalls and sharing it here without measurements.

I'm calling them the Super Cornwalls 1.0...........................with a new, beefier woofer for lower and more powerful BASS with Zero sacrifice in the midrange using K55/K600, and new small MAHL/DE-120 tweeters from DaveA. Just put new caps in the networks and you are GOOD TO GO!

It's the Eminence Kappalite 3015 LF-4. At almost 11 mm Xmax, it's more thant 4 times that of a 15C and approx. double that of a K-33. It should be reasonably flat to 30 Hz. with the Cornwall port tuning at 33 Hz. An input of a "ridiculous" 50 watts will crank bass in the 65 Hz. range way over 120 db, turning any party in your living room into a Disco with proportional hearing damage. LOL. Working on the new crossover as of this moment with various horns for various 2" drivers. Probably won't be done until January 2020, BUT you can easily turn a 1.0 into a 2.0, which will require cutting a bigger rectangle in the motorboard. The 1.0 modifications is a "swap and drop" modification that is also "Super Easy."

I'm using them as new L and R side channels in my current setup and let me tell you, these suckers KICK some BOOTAY ROYALE in the bass department, almost like adding a subwoofer, since the output below 30 Hz. is increase just a bit, but with more power handling. 30 watts of power will make your neighbors dance too, guaranteed. Plus the smoothness of the top end is improved tremendously. 

Just recap your B networks and you are good to go!! AND you can use a value between 2 uF-4 uF so that you can "salt your Treble to taste" and the LIVENESS of your ROOM matched to the DEADNESS of your hearing above 6 Khz.!!

I just installed DaveA's terrific new sMAHL's  2.0 with DE-120 drivers in my Super Cornwall 1.0. Using as R and L surround in Full Range mode, since my subs don't kick in until about 40 Hz. as REAL botom end subs. All 5 of my speakers go down to 40 Hz., with Super Heresy's going Rear R and L channels soon. I'll be adding the Up Firing 4 TD-1 USA horns on top this week to get to full 11 channel Atmos!

DaveAv2MAHL.jpg

IMG_1935.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It will be more expensive than the Super Heresy Mod, but like that one, will be well worth the expense for those who want to have their Cornies kick some MAJOR bootie!!!  After all, it's been 60 Years since Paul Klipsch designed the Cornwall, and there have been lots of component level improvements since then. In fact the Cornwall upgrade may be easier to do than the Super Heresy, labor wise, we shall see.

BTW, I want to make it clear that the Cornwall III is an excellent evolution of the old Cornwalls, which, many have some pretty beat up cabinets 40-50 years later. Klipsch brand new offering is still excellent among all the overpriced turkey and chickens from other brands, the don't perform even half as well as a new Cornwall. Using an inflation calculator reveals that Cornwalls are the same price they were in the early 70's or whatever year you want to calculate. They still represent a great value in the new speaker market.

However, refurbishing old Cornwalls is a good thing to do for DIY types like me who enjoy the hobby of half making your own stuff and have enough knowledge and skill to "tweak" with modern components. This is my target group, not the guy who just wants to unbox a new pair and connect 4 wires. Peace.

• Like 2

By the way, I did the world's first "Corn Scala" back in 1976 with an EV T35 tweeter, a K400 horn with K55, and Eminence woofer. I designed an built my own cabinets from Birch Plywood, my own Xover with L pads. It was used as a mono center between my Giant Custom Altec speakers I built in my Mom's garage at 19 years old about 2 years prior (I have a picture to prove it). No brag, just fact. So it will be nice to return to that design type (hint, it probably won't need a subwoofer!).

Whatcha got in mind big @ClaudeJ1?

Just jumped on the Super Heresy train, haven't even got them yet. Your protegee is getting them out today! 

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Just jumped on the Super Heresy train, haven't even got them yet. Your protegee is getting them out today! 

I'm testing more components, hopefully this weekend. Just picked up a pair of really clean ones with risers yesterday. It will have a more powerful woofer, USA made, large format midrange with lower crossover point, and the best super tweeter I can find with at least 2, hopefully all 3 components AMERICAN MADE, reusing the Klipsch network, so it will still be mostly Klipsch.

• Like 3

Only way a pair of these would get to me is addition by way of subtraction if you know what I mean!

Love the way you think with the importance of Made In the USA.

#%@  the native USA   USA haters.

54 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Only way a pair of these would get to me is addition by way of subtraction if you know what I mean!

Love the way you think with the importance of Made In the USA.

#%@  the native USA   USA haters.

I do my best in this regard. I'm a big fan of Eminence, but sometimes other Italian, German, and Spanish Pro Driver companies make products that are real contenders.

• Like 1

Claude ... looking forward to it :D 

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Let me know your feedback on their sound when you get them................on the Super Heresy thread, of course.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

Claude ... looking forward to it :D 

I am too. Simulations and calculations are one thing, but measurements and hearing is what we believe!!

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2018 at 3:36 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I do my best in this regard. I'm a big fan of Eminence, but sometimes other Italian, German, and Spanish Pro Driver companies make products that are real contenders.

There was a mid or high I read about here being highly regarded that was made "over there" somewhere.

Not against "them", I'm just more for us!

*Faital drivers, that's the ticket!

Edited by JohnJ

Hmm...large format, super tweeter, klipsch network and local suppliers.

interested!

Here's a question for all of you. Is there a preference for keeping all the part USA made? I should be able to do this without any compromises in performance or a higher price, maybe lower.

I vote for minimal woodworking (though I understand there would be some sawdust involved). 

I also vote for best drivers at a price point without regard to where they are made. 

• Like 2

I am looking forward to following another great thread by Claude.

I want to thank you for the Heresy 1.5 conversion to SH in which you worked with Treyphan on the SH thread. It helped me as I had tried to install a k53 instead of a K55 and my effort didn't yield a real good, just fair, result. After you did that with Treyphan, I know what to do...start with a Type E2 crossover instead of the Type B.

Curious, I have Crites's Cornscala and it is excellent and edges out my LaScala II, I think...don't have a Cornwall to compare to...it's available for under 2000 bucks in unfinished boxes. You going to be able to make your Super Cornwall for under that, given that a person may have to spend around $1000 or maybe even a bit more just to bring a used pair of Cornwalls home? That will be a good challenge especially given that Crites's version is in the words of Larry David, pretty, pretty, pretty, pret-ty good...:lol:

3 hours ago, ishwash said:

I want to thank you for the Heresy 1.5 conversion to SH in which you worked with Treyphan on the SH thread.

He's coming by tomorrow for more tweaks. Also, I just got drivers for the Mk II version of the Super Heresy (only slightly better, but still better). Also some Super Cornwall bass measurements to start.

3 hours ago, ishwash said:

I am looking forward to following another great thread by Claude.

Curious, I have Crites's Cornscala and it is excellent and edges out my LaScala II, I think...don't have a Cornwall to compare to...it's available for under 2000 bucks in unfinished boxes. You going to be able to make your Super Cornwall for under that, given that a person may have to spend around $1000 or maybe even a bit more just to bring a used pair of Cornwalls home? That will be a good challenge especially given that Crites's version is in the words of Larry David, pretty, pretty, pretty, pret-ty good...:lol:

Which version of the "CornScala." Need to know specific driver and horn data, split box or single, etc.