Super Cornwall 1.0

ClaudeJ1

• 1 year later...

What happened here?  I patiently read each page of this thread, from the beginning, eagerly awaiting the final design, maybe a BOM and some instructions, something.  Was it moved?  

ClaudeJ1, did you decide not to pursue Super Cornwall 2.0 because of feasibility reasons or did you just develop other interests?  Not having an old Cornwall at hand, I was wondering if it could be done with a Crites CornScala box and the horns you were working on.  Is that still a possibility or would you recommend another path?

Has anybody put a good CornScala or DIY Cornwall up against a Cornwall 4?  I have done a few searches but haven’t really seen anything.  It’s a high bar, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a very well-made CornScala with excellent components still does not match a stock CW4, but I’d love to see someone who did an A/B.  

On 5/31/2021 at 2:53 PM, alanhuth said:

ClaudeJ1, did you decide not to pursue Super Cornwall 2.0 because of feasibility reasons or did you just develop other interests?  Not having an old Cornwall at hand, I was wondering if it could be done with a Crites CornScala box and the horns you were working on.  Is that still a possibility or would you recommend another path?

Has anybody put a good CornScala or DIY Cornwall up against a Cornwall 4?  I have done a few searches but haven’t really seen anything.  It’s a high bar, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a very well-made CornScala with excellent components still does not match a stock CW4, but I’d love to see someone who did an A/B.  

Yes and yes. I moved on to other projects. A 2.0 version was too expensive for a "MOD." I'd rather design another speaker from scratch. I'll post that when it's done if there's interest, but it will be a new speaker, requiring lumber purchase and carpentry skills. Not just a simple mod.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Claud, i try to get the Eminence kappalite 3015 FL, but the 4 ohm version is not anymore on the market. Said that, i'm thinking to get the acoustic elegant Td 15. You had spoken about TD 15M version, but as i saw, it has low Xmax (6 mm), high Fs (34.7 Hz)and higher SPL (97.7 db).  So i wrote to the AE factory and they say to me that is better, for my cornwall, the TD15H which have higher Xmax (14 mm), lower Fs (21 Hz) and lower SPL (94 db). I already have on the cornwall the tweeter from Mahl with B&C de 120 driver and the new wood horn. I have the K55V dual phase plug with the wood Foster horn H-325 (cut of 325 Hz) sit on the top of cornwall (inside the box i leave the k-600 with the another k55v i have, so no change in box volume). The crossover filter is the B-2 with all cap change form a danish factory (not duelung but similar tipe but less expensive). I'm also thinking to change the diaphragm in the k55v as they are 40 years old. I may please you an advertisement about woofer: AE TD15 M or AE TD 15 H. I also not sure if to get the Apollo version, because it's more expensive and also the shipping rate (as it is heavier) and the duty and vat tax would be higher, Hope you can answer to me. Sorry for my bad english but i'm from Italy and this is the best i can do (avoid automatic translation). Thanks

7 hours ago, saibaba said:

Hi Claud, i try to get the Eminence kappalite 3015 FL, but the 4 ohm version is not anymore on the market. Said that, i'm thinking to get the acoustic elegant Td 15. You had spoken about TD 15M version, but as i saw, it has low Xmax (6 mm), high Fs (34.7 Hz)and higher SPL (97.7 db).  So i wrote to the AE factory and they say to me that is better, for my cornwall, the TD15H which have higher Xmax (14 mm), lower Fs (21 Hz) and lower SPL (94 db). I already have on the cornwall the tweeter from Mahl with B&C de 120 driver and the new wood horn. I have the K55V dual phase plug with the wood Foster horn H-325 (cut of 325 Hz) sit on the top of cornwall (inside the box i leave the k-600 with the another k55v i have, so no change in box volume). The crossover filter is the B-2 with all cap change form a danish factory (not duelung but similar tipe but less expensive). I'm also thinking to change the diaphragm in the k55v as they are 40 years old. I may please you an advertisement about woofer: AE TD15 M or AE TD 15 H. I also not sure if to get the Apollo version, because it's more expensive and also the shipping rate (as it is heavier) and the duty and vat tax would be higher, Hope you can answer to me. Sorry for my bad english but i'm from Italy and this is the best i can do (avoid automatic translation). Thanks

@ClaudeJ1  Claude, perhaps @saibabaalso speaks French and you two can converse that way.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

AE TD15 M or AE TD 15 H. I also not sure if to get the Apollo version,

If the Apollo upgrade does not appreciably change the published Thiele/Small Parameters, then it's OK to do if you wish, but not necessary. So make your compromises where they count most.

11 hours ago, saibaba said:

If the Apollo upgrade does not appreciably change the published Thiele/Small Parameters, then it's OK to do if you wish, but not necessary. So make your compromises where they count most

Thanks Claude, but what about if is it better for cornwall, that is vented box, AE TD 15M or AE 15H? AS i have read and i have learned by your previous post, an higher Xmax is better for vented box, like Cornwall are. So, if i'm not wrong, AE TD15H would be the best choice. As for the crossover, where i changed all the capacitors, would better to change inductor and autotransformer too? As they also are 40 years old. It will be nice to know what you think about, thanks.      

10 minutes ago, saibaba said:

Thanks Claude, but what about if is it better for cornwall, that is vented box, AE TD 15M or AE 15H? AS i have read and i have learned by your previous post, an higher Xmax is better for vented box, like Cornwall are. So, if i'm not wrong, AE TD15H would be the best choice. As for the crossover, where i changed all the capacitors, would better to change inductor and autotransformer too? As they also are 40 years old. It will be nice to know what you think about, thanks.      

Let me do a full simulation on another computer and I'll post the conclusion here. The AE driver is one of the very best with a proportional price tag. I don't want you to waste your money if it doesn't come close to the K-33 or the Eminence 3015, OK?

28 minutes ago, saibaba said:

would better to change inductor and autotransformer too? As they also are 40 years old. It will be nice to know what you think about, thanks.      

no, tutto ok  , non è necessario sostituire l'induttore/autotrasformatore  o qualsiasi altra parte del crossover di rete a meno che non ci siano segni molto elevati di corrosione/ruggine  e gli avvolgimenti si muovano liberamente 

36 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Let me do a full simulation on another computer and I'll post the conclusion here. The AE driver is one of the very best with a proportional price tag. I don't want you to waste your money if it doesn't come close to the K-33 or the Eminence 3015, OK?

Thank you very much, Claude.