Jump to content

Super Cornwall 1.0


ClaudeJ1
 Share

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, RandyH said:

 

 

no, tutto ok  , non è necessario sostituire l'induttore/autotrasformatore  o qualsiasi altra parte del crossover di rete a meno che non ci siano segni molto elevati di corrosione/ruggine  e gli avvolgimenti si muovano liberamente 

Grazie Randy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, saibaba said:

Thank you very much, Claude.

The super low inductance of 0.2 is what you pay for in the AE woofer, with or without the heavy options. This extends the High Frequency response of the woofer way beyond what is needed (about 1 Khz.)  for a Cornwall since the K600 horn's measured response is down to 500 Hz. for a 3-way system.

 

I would suggest an Italian company (probably cheaper and easier for you, I hope). 

 

I simulated the Ciare CW387 and it looks pretty good to me. I'm at 80% on that recommendation, but I would have to put it in a Cornwall to measure in order to be 100%.

If you can afford it, the TD15M-4 is still the best choice overall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The super low inductance of 0.2 is what you pay for in the AE woofer, with or without the heavy options. This extends the High Frequency response of the woofer way beyond what is needed (about 1 Khz.)  for a Cornwall since the K600 horn's measured response is down to 500 Hz. for a 3-way system.

 

I would suggest an Italian company (probably cheaper and easier for you, I hope). 

 

I simulated the Ciare CW387 and it looks pretty good to me. I'm at 80% on that recommendation, but I would have to put it in a Cornwall to measure in order to be 100%.

If you can afford it, the TD15M-4 is still the best choice overall. 

Thanks Claude. I like music and i prefer to try to have the best form my audio system, of course in the range of money i can afford. I decide to go with the AE 15 4 ohm. The only thing i don't know exactly is which TD15, the M version or the H version. I have sent an email to the AE factory and they say that for my cornwall is better the H version, as it have the lower Fs and higher Xmax, despite the little lower Spl (3,7 db less). I can trust them but i want to be sure (each different version cost the same), so i ask you because you are very expertise in technical question and also, that's matter a lot, you no have interesting in AE factory business. As for my mid driver and horn, i don't use the k-600 but the Foster wood horn with my k-55v double phase plug with the 600 Hz and 6k crossover.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, saibaba said:

Thanks Claude. I like music and i prefer to try to have the best form my audio system, of course in the range of money i can afford. I decide to go with the AE 15 4 ohm. The only thing i don't know exactly is which TD15, the M version or the H version. I have sent an email to the AE factory and they say that for my cornwall is better the H version, as it have the lower Fs and higher Xmax, despite the little lower Spl (3,7 db less). I can trust them but i want to be sure (each different version cost the same), so i ask you because you are very expertise in technical question and also, that's matter a lot, you no have interesting in AE factory business. As for my mid driver and horn, i don't use the k-600 but the Foster wood horn with my k-55v double phase plug with the 600 Hz and 6k crossover.  

I will simulate the H version and compare the two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, saibaba said:

Thanks, I’ll appreciate it very much. You are a very helpful gentleman. 

IF you can bi-amp to compensate for the sensitivity difference, the H version is more Flat than the M, with less HF extension and a 1 db, 47 hz. peak near cutoff, which you can tweak flat by adding 10mm length to the rear of port shelf at the bottom of the Cornwall. If you do that, you will be only 3 db down at 32 Hz, so you will never need a subwoofer for music.

 

So it does provide more output capability lower because of over twice the  Xmax as the M while sacrificing a little at the top end, which you don't need. Since you are using a 325 Hz. Horn, the K55 DPP driver can certainly go that low, so no problem there.

 

So even if you maintain the original network, you can just split off the woofer section, add a cheap Class D Chip Amp based on the TI TPA3255 from China for the bass (adjust gain control as required) and end up with a better than original performance in the low end while still using the same passive components. Y connectors from the pre amp output are cheap too!

 

https://www.amazon.it/AIYIMA-A07-Amplificatore-Amplificatori-altoparlanti/dp/B08TTT25Z3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3SQGLK3P5N8C5&dchild=1&keywords=tpa+3255&qid=1631655217&sr=8-2 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

IF you can bi-amp to compensate for the sensitivity difference, the H version is more Flat than the M, with less HF extension and a 1 db, 47 hz. peak near cutoff, which you can tweak flat by adding 10mm length to the rear of port shelf at the bottom of the Cornwall. If you do that, you will be only 3 db down at 32 Hz, so you will never need a subwoofer for music.

 

So it does provide more output capability lower because of over twice the  Xmax as the M while sacrificing a little at the top end, which you don't need. I still like the Crites 1526 best of the 3, but I'm not sure Michael Crites would ship from Arkansas to Italy, and the price difference vs. the AE offerings might not be worth it.

 

So even if you maintain the original network, you can just split off the woofer section, add a cheap Class D Chip Amp from China and end up with a better than original performance in the low end while still using the same passive components. Y connectors from the pre amp output are cheap too! 

Thank you very much Claude. Now I have enough information to do the better choice. I’m going to order AE TD15H, after installing it  I’ll post the result and my impressions about changing the woofer. I’ll go also to order new diaphragm for my 55v driver and new gaskets for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, saibaba said:

Thank you very much Claude. Now I have enough information to do the better choice. I’m going to order AE TD15H, after installing it  I’ll post the result and my impressions about changing the woofer. I’ll go also to order new diaphragm for my 55v driver and new gaskets for it. 

Prego. I just added a link to the amplifier if you need. Please post your results here. I'm sure many others are curious as I am. Best of luck to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

First Order like the B network by Klipsch?

I have both, B and B-2 network. But i move to B-2, second order, 600Hz-6k Hz, after i get k-55v dual phase plug and Mahl wood horn tweeter with DE 120 B&C driver. Like Mr. Paul Klipsch suggested in his letterature and also, Mr. Bob Crites (very sad that him is not still with us) suggested to me (i've been in contact with him and i get some k-77 diaphgram from him years ago). When you suggested to add shelf extension, do you mean a piece of 3/4 birch plywood? I think to bi-amp the speaker with Accuphase P-400 for the woofer (200w AB, 50w class A) and with Unison Research Simply two for HF section (SE 12w class A with El 34 (NOS Mullard) and ECC 82(NOS Philips Miniwatt-Mullard) that i already have.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, saibaba said:

I have both, B and B-2 network. But i move to B-2, second order, 600Hz-6k Hz, after i get k-55v dual phase plug and Mahl wood horn tweeter with DE 120 B&C driver. Like Mr. Paul Klipsch suggested in his letterature and also, Mr. Bob Crites (very sad that him is not still with us) suggested to me (i've been in contact with him and i get some k-77 diaphgram from him years ago). When you suggested to add shelf extension, do you mean a piece of 3/4 birch plywood? I think to bi-amp the speaker with Accuphase P-400 for the woofer (200w AB, 50w class A) and with Unison Research Simply two for HF section (SE 12w class A with El 34 (NOS Mullard) and ECC 82(NOS Philips Miniwatt-Mullard) that i already have.  

3/4 Birch (18mm) would be fine to match what is there. Sorry I left that out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you are done, you will have a version of a Super Cornwall, if you want to call it that.

 

By the way, I like the horn you have on top of the Cornwalls. Looks like a solid performer and it reminds me of my JBL 2350 metal Horns. They were reasonably flat 300-15khz. because of the collapsing Verticals that Paul Klipsch was fond of as an "acoustic PEQ" if you will. But because of dispersion issues up there, I still prefer a super tweeter. I used DaveA's tweeters exclusively, but I am biased because of my technical involvement in their development. Good guys in this hobby a really good to know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

When you are done, you will have a version of a Super Cornwall, if you want to call it that.

 

By the way, I like the horn you have on top of the Cornwalls. Looks like a solid performer and it reminds me of my JBL 2350 metal Horns. They were reasonably flat 300-15khz. because of the collapsing Verticals that Paul Klipsch was fond of as an "acoustic PEQ" if you will. But because of dispersion issues up there, I still prefer a super tweeter. I used DaveA's tweeters exclusively, but I am biased because of my technical involvement in their development. Good guys in this hobby a really good to know!

Here I post my Cornwall photos with the foster horn and Dave’s wood horn tweeter. After I’ll swap the network out of box I’ll put the tweeter fix on the midrange horn. I’ve ordered yesterday the AE 15 H woofer, I think I’ll get it in two months (it’s the time for building and shipping). I’ll post photos and listening impression after I fix everything. Thanks again Claude for your precious advertisement.

4A13A5E5-8A2A-47AA-B55F-9DA8A7A0F07B.jpeg

0C63FA73-7BAC-4CB0-9F42-C2C77DDA8F4C.jpeg

235FBD32-CD36-44C0-A0DF-BC8C470ED744.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Damn I'd love to visit all you guys with these wonderful speakers to sit and listen for awhile.

It's a lot easier and cheaper for you to travel to Michigan from WV than it is to travel from Italy. The magic of the internet, which was originally marketed as the "Information Super Highway." So I guess that's what you need to have to make a "Super Cornwall," LOL. Makes perfect sense to me!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, saibaba said:

Here I post my Cornwall photos with the foster horn and Dave’s wood horn tweeter.

Excellent. Meanwhile, you can still listen to your K-33's and get your 2 plywood extenders measured from the inside more accurately than my drawing. Then you will be ready to modify the port for a lower tuning to match your AE TD15H-4 when it arrives.

 

After doing this modification and bi-amping to control the voltage drive to your bass box separately from the mid and tweet, you will FEEL the bass in your legs and other places when you turn up the volume. Perhaps you like disco and funk music that will have you dancing with women in your sound room. Pleasant thought either way, LOL.

 

By the way, your Fostex wood horns look like a copy of the cast aluminum JBL 2350 horns I used to own, but much better looking in wood for sure.

 

I have always said "the bigger the horn, the better the horn," which I can see that now you will have better and more sound from top to bottom, without the need of a subwoofer.

 

Very good choices by YOU!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Excellent. Meanwhile, you can still listen to your K-33's and get your 2 plywood extenders measured from the inside more accurately than my drawing. Then you will be ready to modify the port for a lower tuning to match your AE TD15H-4 when it arrives.

 

After doing this modification and bi-amping to control the voltage drive to your bass box separately from the mid and tweet, you will FEEL the bass in your legs and other places when you turn up the volume. Perhaps you like disco and funk music that will have you dancing with women in your sound room. Pleasant thought either way, LOL.

 

By the way, your Fostex wood horns look like a copy of the cast aluminum JBL 2350 horns I used to own, but much better looking in wood for sure.

 

I have always said "the bigger the horn, the better the horn," which I can see that now you will have better and more sound from top to bottom, without the need of a subwoofer.

 

Very good choices by YOU!

I think Jbl 2350 with 220 Hz cut off is maybe better than fostex H 325, 340 Hz cut off. As you can cross the network lower than 600 Hz. Anyway, both excellent. My Cornwall sounded very well stock, but after Dave’s tweeter and fostex horn, they sound much better. Can’t wait the AE woofer arrive to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, saibaba said:

I think Jbl 2350 with 220 Hz cut off is maybe better than fostex H 325, 340 Hz cut off. As you can cross the network lower than 600 Hz. Anyway, both excellent. My Cornwall sounded very well stock, but after Dave’s tweeter and fostex horn, they sound much better. Can’t wait the AE woofer arrive to me.

When you do the port modification to match the AE woofer, you will have some serious bass response after you bi-amp and boost to appropriate voltage level.

 

This will motivate you seek music with lots of bass, like a 5-string electric bass with a "B-zero" Fat String, and even one with a detuning Lever to drop down to an A-zero (27.5 Hz.), which is the lowest note on a Piano.

 

Your version of Super Cornwalls should still be able to resolve this! Also Pipe Organ and some Synthesizer notes will have presence there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Saibaba… Did you look at any of the Faitalpro drivers for the Cornwall upgrade?  They have several that might be suitable for the Super Cornwall.
 

The 15PR400 comes in 4 ohm and 8 ohm, covers 35 Hz to 4kHz, and has 100dB sensitivity. They are expensive here ($270 each), but could be cheaper in Italy since Faitalpro is based in Milan.  I think this model is closest to the 4 ohm Eminence that’s out of production.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...