Super Cornwall 1.0

ClaudeJ1

4 hours ago, Randyh said:

thanks so much , my CW1 are really in need of a better sound , my next modification  was to replace the K33 with a K48 as well adding the K57 and the k79 - plus the XO of a chorus - to get a chorus type bass sound and overall better highs on a CW1   the MIDRANCE HORN would stay the same , EXCEPT USING A THREADED ADAPTOR  to avoid cutting into the cab , the problem for me is I cant stand the sound of A  CW 1 , it's just not very un-dynamic versus a chorus 1 or 2 which pounds like hell and delivers a steady - even sound in the mids and highs as the XO is so much better balanced  and linear as far as the way the sound is direct , chess pounding bass and so much more detail -

I recently added a soldered lug k-55v to my Chorus II's and was impressed with the change-- I believe the k-55's are a superior driver to the k-57 so I would whole-heartedly recommend leaving the k-55 in place just make sure you have the soldered lug version or Bob Crites new A55-g which is even better yet. 

Also Crites CT-120 tweeter is leaps and bounds better then the k-77 or the k-79, probably better than the k-57 really. 

As far as bass goes I had a little trouble with my CW-1's as well, they didn't really put out any bass in my room until I pushed then tight into the corners against the back and side walls, seemed like the plywood needed to resonate in the corners to produce bass?  

The Chorus cabinets are roughly 4.5 cu ft internally I believe the Cornwall is around 6.5? Not sure how the k-48 would react in the larger cabinet if you have a pair laying around I guess it wouldn't hurt to try? 

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Pretty sure at this point it would be easier / cheaper to just build your own (custom) cabinets and make them however you want they wouldn't be "Cornwalls" anymore anyway.

I agree with your point. This is a MODIFICATION done to the internals of an existing cabinet, just like the Super Heresy was. Arash suggested that a bigger box would be better than a Heresy box for a 12" driver, but it would not be a Heresy anymore. It would then be a fresh build, requiring a different post, a different name, on a different Forum. This is Klipsch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I recently added a soldered lug k-55v to my Chorus II's and was impressed with the change-- I believe the k-55's are a superior driver to the k-57 so I would whole-heartedly recommend leaving the k-55 in place just make sure you have the soldered lug version or Bob Crites new A55-g which is even better yet. 

Also Crites CT-120 tweeter is leaps and bounds better then the k-77 or the k-79, probably better than the k-57 really. 

As far as bass goes I had a little trouble with my CW-1's as well, they didn't really put out any bass in my room until I pushed then tight into the corners against the back and side walls, seemed like the plywood needed to resonate in the corners to produce bass?  

The Chorus cabinets are roughly 4.5 cu ft internally I believe the Cornwall is around 6.5? Not sure how the k-48 would react in the larger cabinet if you have a pair laying around I guess it wouldn't hurt to try? 

Or wait until I'm done. I just finished a double 15" driver Subwoofer project for a friend, so I hope to get to this next week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

If you keep the rear panel from vibrating when you turn it up, that's one area to tackle that will help your lack of bass. I took a second sheet of fine 3/4" birch plywood and screwed it to the back of my CW'1s doubling their thickness and virtually eliminating the vibration.

Also, puting them in the corners is the best place for them. Thus the name Cornwall - Corn(er) or Wall: the two places they should be. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

It will have a more powerful woofer, USA made, large format midrange with lower crossover point, and the best super tweeter I can find with at least 2, hopefully all 3 components AMERICAN MADE, reusing the Klipsch network, so it will still be mostly Klipsch.

I don't know if you've found a mid horn or not yet but you might want to consider these, especially for the price. They are roughly the same size as the CF-4 horns and very similar to what Crites offers in his Type "D" Cornscala design. This set comes with an adapter so it can be used with the k-55 mid driver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-x14-Oval-Screw-On-Horn-for-1-3-8-Driver-Also-1-5-or-1-4-Exit-Driver-444/331890485556

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I don't know if you've found a mid horn or not yet but you might want to consider these, especially for the price. They are roughly the same size as the CF-4 horns and very similar to what Crites offers in his Type "D" Cornscala design. This set comes with an adapter so it can be used with the k-55 mid driver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-x14-Oval-Screw-On-Horn-for-1-3-8-Driver-Also-1-5-or-1-4-Exit-Driver-444/331890485556

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a pair. If they don't work out, there's a 30 day money back guarantee, so all it will cost me is time and shipping.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I believe the k-55's are a superior driver to the k-57 so I would whole-heartedly recommend leaving the k-55 in place just make sure you have the soldered lug version or Bob Crites new A55-g which is even better yet. 

Better yet means only marginally better based on the curves. It's still basically the same driver with a mud magnet and dual phase plug, like the black EV version was. Let's not get carried away.

On 8/31/2018 at 5:57 PM, jjptkd said:

The B&C DE120 which is what Bob uses is a fine driver. I have put two in two sets of Chorus I's and a Forte II and there was a big improvement and neither of us have had to change anything for it to sound really good.

30 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The B&C DE120 which is what Bob uses is a fine driver. I have put two in two sets of Chorus I's and a Forte II and there was a big improvement and neither of us have had to change anything for it to sound really good.

It's also what I used in my Super Heresy over 4 years ago. I also like the DE-10 if you have the room for it.

10 hours ago, Randyh said:

what XO are you using and do you have any pictures of the Cornscalas

I'm using a modified type "B" crossover basically stock with all new parts but changed the mid cap from a 4 to a 6.2 to lower the crossover point to 500hz best I could come up with based on stock values and Crites recommendation for the original Cornscala which was 7 for 400hz I believe. 

I can't seem to find my build thread, had at least a couple going on with lots of pictures will try again later.

6 hours ago, Randyh said:

no mud magnet in the K55V or PD-5VH , the magnet material is made of Temperature-stable Alnico V-DG.  , which is one of the high quality features of the K55V -

The K-51-V was the ceramic magnet version of the K-55-V  which is what  I believe is what Claude is referring to as the Atlas driver with a mud magnet and dual phase plug -

https://www.atlasied.com/f/681/ATS004136 PD Series Datasheet RevA.pdf

I was referring to the John Allen driver's mud magnet. Yes, it's new and improved, but,  I don't believe that he himself spent $150,000 for it's development, a gross exaggeration at best. I suspect it was Atlas that developed it, since I doubt his installed base of Klipsch copy speakers warrants the sales volume required for payback of such an investment. That being said, I"m glad Bob Crites makes it available since it represents a good evolution of that technology.

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I was referring to the John Allen driver I"m glad Bob Crites makes it available since it represents a good evolution of that technology.

I second that, the k-55v is a nice mid driver but the John Allen A55g from Crites is noticeably better IMHO and most (if not all) who have tried them agree as well. 

3 minutes ago, Randyh said:

let me  search for it - maybe they erased it with the new web site

I was able to find my posts right before the build and close to immediately after but not my build post, not sure why they would have been deleted if they were? I'll search again a little more thoroughly when I get time. 

• Haha 1