Super Cornwall 1.0

ClaudeJ1

This means I can cross a Super Cornwall at 450 Hz. and still have it all fit in the ORIGINAL cabinet. When I did the Super Heresy, I improved the Midrange Detail FIRST ("Where we live"---PWK) and foremost. I intend to do the same with the Super Cornwall, AND, like the Super Heresy, I will also potentially improve the bass with a driver that has higher Xmax. The extreme treble improvement will come from Dave A's fantastic tweeter lenses and B&C drivers. Progress will be slow but sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Here's a few larger drivers on a surplus horn I'm currently testing. You will note that these are BOTH smoother than either K55 in my room.

FaitalProRED_K1133BLUE.jpg

Which drivers did you test and are they readily available? Are these on the horns I pointed you towards? 

13 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Which drivers did you test and are they readily available? Are these on the horns I pointed you towards? 

For the three K55 curves, the RED is the K600 mounted on a the stock Cornwalls. The Blue curve is the same K55 driver as the RED curve mounted on the horn you told me about. The GREEN is from a K55 dual phase plug driver with the solder terminals. You can clearly see about a 10 db drop at 9 Khz. with the dual phase plug driver, where K77's have traditionally long taken over and represent the tweeter midband. Hence the P-trap filters to try and Kill it, or, in the case of Bob Crites, using a choke at 4500 Hz. and his tweeter. 

For the other pair of Curves, they were done on a horn similar to a flat front JBL, and purchased from Part Express (I'll provide the part number later, or sooner by request). The Blue Curve is a Klipsch K1133, 8 ohm driver. The RED curve is a Faital Pro HF200 , 16 ohm driver, which I had to offset by 2.3 db to line the curves up and compensate for the lesser power delivered to the Faital via the higher impedance. In ALL cases, the drive voltage was identical. The Faital is a bit smoother but will require a Bandpass filter to be used as a 3-way with Dave A's tweeter lens. I have yet to determine which I will use for this Super Cornwall since I have 3 drivers and 4 lenses to choose from, which is lots of combinations.

Hello, 

I 'am a frenchman and I have a klpisch cornwall 1

For the K55 Atlas , I replace the 2 old diaphragms ( 35 years old ) with news ones ( bob crites)  and the result was immediate . The bandwidth of the k55 was much larger and the medium was clearer , more detailled. Before this , it misses one part of the band width in the low part .

The aspect of the old K55 diphragms was strange . The aspect at the surface of the dome seems that surface treatment ( resin ? ) was partially disapared .

Notice improvement with this replacement !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blu surfer said:

The aspect at the surface of the dome seems that surface treatment ( resin ? ) was partially disapared .

Thanks for your input on this issue! I have a few pairs of older k-55v's laying around I may just crack them open and take a peak myself see what's going on.

16 minutes ago, Randyh said:

yes -you have no other choice , we are looking at a very old design. ,    -would you mount the woofer ahead of the motorboard or  behind the motorboard  , I always wondered if that can make  a difference  -tx

Not really. The reason Klipsch (probably) has been doing it on newer cabinets is to use less hardware and simplify the box. I have found the number of screws on the backs of older Cornwalls to be inadequate when pitted against the test of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 1:47 PM, blu surfer said:

Hello, 

I 'am a frenchman and I have a klpisch cornwall 1

For the K55 Atlas , I replace the 2 old diaphragms ( 35 years old ) with news ones ( bob crites)  and the result was immediate . The bandwidth of the k55 was much larger and the medium was clearer , more detailled. Before this , it misses one part of the band width in the low part .

The aspect of the old K55 diphragms was strange . The aspect at the surface of the dome seems that surface treatment ( resin ? ) was partially disapared .

Bonjour Monsieur! Merci pour les mots d'encouragement pour les amateurs de les vieux produits de la compagnie Klipsch.

• 1 month later...

For the sake of ease and simplicity, I'm going with new woofers, new tweeters and a Network Modification, BUT I'm sticking to the good old K55/K600 combination as I have found going to a 2" driver and horn to be expensive, requiring a big cut to the front panel, and not worth the extra expense, since the K55/K600 is a pretty good performer. After testing a driver with the Solder terminals (with the dual phase plug), the only benefit is that it squelched the 9 Khz. peak which I can to with the more common Push Button K55 (single phase plug) since the tweeter section will have about a 4 Khz. crossover for greater detail and "air" on all the Harmonics!

So I’ll keep the goldwood horns, they were cheap. Can you give us a sneak peek with where you’re headed for the tweets? I always thought it would be cool to integrate a beyma tpl-150 even if it had to sit on top. But I’m weird like that. 

I’ll hang up and take my answer off the air.  

On 11/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, jwgorman said:

So I’ll keep the goldwood horns, they were cheap. Can you give us a sneak peek with where you’re headed for the tweets? I always thought it would be cool to integrate a beyma tpl-150 even if it had to sit on top. But I’m weird like that. 

I’ll hang up and take my answer off the air.  

Very interested in this thread.   Always wanted to update the drivers in my homebrew CW's.

By the way, I did the world's first "Corn Scala" back in 1976 with an EV T35 tweeter, a K400 horn with K55, and Eminence woofer. I designed an built my own cabinets from Birch Plywood, my own Xover with L pads. It was used as a mono center between my Giant Custom Altec speakers I built in my Mom's garage at 19 years old about 2 years prior (I have a picture to prove it). No brag, just fact. So it will be nice to return to that design type (hint, it probably won't need a subwoofer!).

Claude
I would love to see some of those pics of your first builds. Really would like to see the Altec speakers. One day I’ll have a set of them, one day. Lol