Super Cornwall 1.0

ClaudeJ1

Yes, I was being a little bit facetious about the  3 uF vs. 3.3, but since both are in the range of 2 to 4, it's a pretty good sonic "playground." Look I gotta leave you guys a little something to do, right? There's such a wide range of rooms, positioning, seating preferences, etc. that having the room to play with the tweeter a bit, should help satisfy the picky. That was my point.

TRY IT.

No play room on the woofer though.

I have tried both the DE-10 and the DE120 in the sMAHL, my preference is, so far, the DE-120 for the sMAHL, and the DE-10 for LMAHL. But it's MY preference. Either the Cornwall or the Heresy have room for the sMAHL with the large/cheaper DE-10 so you have a choice there.

Go look at the curves I posted. If you are that picky/technical, those should tell you all you need to know.

Question 3) No. The woofer seals just fine by itself. I don't get the direction of your question.

Question 4) The prior owner of the cabinets tightened up the rear seal by putting some glossy black tape to fill the gap, so it appears to be working.  Look at the photo.

Since I have always said "The bigger the horn, the better the horn," and since I'll have the room on the Super Cornwall 2.0, I'll go to the LMAHL with the DE-10, cross lower than 6 Khz. to the mid (3-4Khz), use a bigger mid horn with a 2" driver with the same woofer, but will take some "major cuttin' and sawdustin' ."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

So here goes my first post

Thought I'd let you know about a great deal on the kappalite lf3015-4 that I happened to come across.

139 dollars each at Avatar speakers!

I guess they used them in a base cab that they no longer sell and are selling what they have at a reduced rate.

Needless to say I've ordered 2 and will be putting them into my 80 vintage cornies. 

Tim

5 hours ago, Dufftj said:

Hey everyone,

So here goes my first post

Thought I'd let you know about a great deal on the kappalite lf3015-4 that I happened to come across.

139 dollars each at Avatar speakers!

I guess they used them in a base cab that they no longer sell and are selling what they have at a reduced rate.

Needless to say I've ordered 2 and will be putting them into my 80 vintage cornies. 

Tim

Cool!  I got mine a couple months ago from same place. I thought I made an announcement on the deal from Avatar.

Hello Klipsch community!  This is my first post here.  As a long sufferer of this audio disease, specifically the DIY aspect, it may surprise you that in the last 40 years I have only had one opportunity to hear one of the Klipsch Heritage line, although they were likely not considered heritage back then.  I believe they were Cornwalls, although I recall they were hanging from a low basement ceiling, so more likely they were Heresys.

“Bulk of post removed after further research”

Since I am building the cabinet from scratch I have decided to build the Cornwall Super 2.0 when it is available.

I have purchased the Kappalite 4 ohm 15” drivers. I have gleaned the other info regarding the direction this is taking other than the mid driver and whether this will be based on the B3 crossover, although I believe I read that the crossover would be what keeps this speaker in the Klipsch realm.

Thanks for any recommendations you can make, I am quite excited to hear what horn based speakers can do coming from primarily OB builds over the last 20 years or so.

I now realize I am polluting the wrong thread, my apologies.

Best regards,

Ed

Edited by Ebag4

On 1/5/2020 at 10:48 AM, Ebag4 said:

Hello Klipsch community!  This is my first post here.  As a long sufferer of this audio disease, specifically the DIY aspect, it may surprise you that in the last 40 years I have only had one opportunity to hear one of the Klipsch Heritage line, although they were likely not considered heritage back then.  I believe they were Cornwalls, although I recall they were hanging from a low basement ceiling, so more likely they were Heresys.

“Bulk of post removed after further research”

Since I am building the cabinet from scratch I have decided to build the Cornwall Super 2.0 when it is available.

I have purchased the Kappalite 4 ohm 15” drivers. I have gleaned the other info regarding the direction this is taking other than the mid driver and whether this will be based on the B3 crossover, although I believe I read that the crossover would be what keeps this speaker in the Klipsch realm.

Thanks for any recommendations you can make, I am quite excited to hear what horn based speakers can do coming from primarily OB builds over the last 20 years or so.

I now realize I am polluting the wrong thread, my apologies.

Best regards,

Ed

Not in my mind, you're not in the wrong thread. I like OB speakers. I own 3 different Carver Amazings, the first two are pure OB, and the last/latests is OB/Planar with Bass Reflex bass. Bass reflex is a great compromise if you can't have BIG BASS Horns! Even the $500,000 Wilson xVx speakers use bass reflex in their design. They are nothing but a bunch of "Air Wigglers" anyhow. LOL.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not in my mind, you're not in the wrong thread. I like OB speakers. I own 3 different Carver Amazings, the first two are pure OB, and the last/latests is OB/Planar with Bass Reflex bass. Bass reflex is a great compromise if you can't have BIG BASS Horns! Even the $500,000 Wilson xVx speakers use bass reflex in their design. They are nothing but a bunch of "Air Wigglers" anyhow. LOL.

Thanks Claude, I am actually running OBs currently with a planar tweeter and servo subs in H frame alignment, these are designed by Danny Ritchie of GR Research.  I still have room for the OBs but a buddy of mine does not.  He has complained about the lack of meat on the bones with his Polk towers, that and the fact I have been itching for another build, I thought I would take a stab at the Cornwalls or similar.  I found your thread during my research, seeing the the main complaint with the Cornwalls was the small throat of the mid horn, I decided to try your Super 2.0.  As mentioned, I have the Kappalites on the way and have contacted Dave for the LMAHL with DE10.  The Goldwood 450 horn is on my wishlist at PE, what I don’t know is what mid drivers you are considering and whether or not the B3 will be the basis of the crossover.  I am building the cabinet from scratch so I have flexibility there.  If there is more info on the 2.0 I would appreciate a link. It could be that those decisions haven’t been made yet, no worries, I have a bit of work to ahead of me building the cabinets, I found a Cornwall cabinet drawing on Crites site, although it appears 5/8 material is used, I would typically build a stiffer cabinet based on 3/4 ply or MDF.  If I am moving in the wrong direction a heads up would be appreciated.

Thanks for making your work available to us with this disease  ;-).  BTW, these are my current OBs.

Best,

Ed

48E83B8F-3C32-4040-AC52-5DBEAD90707C.jpeg

EB3002F0-4BB1-4E5B-B8BC-D8E8FBD95A8A.jpeg

Edited by Ebag4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ebag4 said:

Thanks for making your work available to us with this disease  ;-).  BTW, these are my current OBs.

Best,

Ed

Really nice looking OB's. Are those Bohlender Graeberner tweeters?? What other drivers do you have. Since it's my thread, I don't mind going off topic for a bit of "alternative air wigglers" here. LOL.

I'll be selecting a Midrange/driver combo in the next month or so. I have several horn lenses, as well as several drivers that will work in a CW box. I also have plans for CW boxes, which are correct, in case you want to compare because I've not looked at the plans you have.

40 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Really nice looking OB's. Are those Bohlender Graeberner tweeters?? What other drivers do you have. Since it's my thread, I don't mind going off topic for a bit of "alternative air wigglers" here. LOL.

I'll be selecting a Midrange/driver combo in the next month or so. I have several horn lenses, as well as several drivers that will work in a CW box. I also have plans for CW boxes, which are correct, in case you want to compare because I've not looked at the plans you have.

Thanks, yes, BG Neo3, the Mids are GR Research M165NQ, the top section is called NX Otica MTM.  The bottom are the Rythmik 12” servo subs (GR Research Paper cone version) in H Frame alignment.  GR Research has a “Circle” on the Audiocircle website.

I would like to take you up on the plans as I have only seen the plans from the Crites website.

Thanks,

Ed

• 1 month later...

Hi, first time poster (long time reader/lurker). I’ve been paying attention for the last 3 years since I bought a gently used pair of Quartets. I have used ideas here to upgrade the T-diaphragm and recap the crossover. 

A week ago I purchased a set of Cornwall I’s . I’m sure the gentleman I purchased them from used this thread to update them.  They have the Mahl elliptical lenses over the BC120s. The crossovers are BC. There’s an addition plywood brace between the woofer and the mid on the inside of the cab and an additional brace across the outside of the speaker back. All this stuff sounds great, but I think the last upgrade may have moved things the wrong direction.  

My understanding of impedance is at the sophomore level at best.  He added a new woofer; the Emenance Kappa 15A (8ohm). The bass is tight and ample, but it doesn’t extend as low a I expected. I can get a realistic double bass, but I think it’s missing some of the deepest chords.  I think it’s an easier load on the amp than it should be and that’s softening the low register response. 

According to several posts her the better replacement is the Emenance Kappalite 3015lf-4ohm which offers significantly greater excursion. 

Couple questions. Would it be beneficial to add an inch or so of the port exhaust to lower the frequency response and take a peak out of the 60-80 hz range (not saying there is one there, but I expect one). 

it’s was also said earlier in the messages that a recap of the crossover is needed to “salt the treble” (pardon me if I misquoted, I’m not the best at navigating this forum). I love the Cornwall treble response as is right now; but if adding the new woofer changes the way the rest of the speaker sees the load, would it make more sense to add an L-pad instead of additional capacitors?  I don’t have a great understanding of how all of the pieces fit together, so if I’m misunderstanding the fundamentals of something I apologize.

I am currently driving these with a 4 watt SET amp in Triode and they can drive the Cornwalls to painfully levels without passing the center of my my volume pot (or using the addition gain button), but I can have my tube pre send the signal to an old NAD solid state if they will better control the woofers. 

Thanks for any help your willing to provide. It really is appreciated. 

Edited by Alan G
Fix typos

On 2/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, Alan G said:

My understanding of impedance is at the sophomore level at best.  He added a new woofer; the Emenance Kappa 15A (8ohm). The bass is tight and ample, but it doesn’t extend as low a I expected. I can get a realistic double bass, but I think it’s missing some of the deepest chords.  I think it’s an easier load on the amp than it should be and that’s softening the low register response. 

Tube amplifiers are not the best choice for bass response. the late, great, Saul Marantz himself (when I was still a kid) told me to use solid state on the bass. Whoever put an 8 ohm woofer in the Cornwall cab made a huge mistake, which YOU now have to pay for.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:16 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Tube amplifiers are not the best choice for bass response.

I believe you can get good bass response from certain tube amplifiers, but they will cost way more, and the higher cost will be in the output transformers.

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

I believe you can get good bass response from certain tube amplifiers, but they will cost way more, and the higher cost will be in the output transformers.

Totally agree. You gotta pay for the "biggest iron" to get bass from tubes! Even then, the source impedance/damping factor is at the opposite performance end of a Crown K2, which is the ultimate in that department.

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

My Chinese Audcom tube amp is a thumper.  EL34 amp with JJ  KT77 power tubes. Not sure about total watts, but I have seen it listed at 50w and 60w. This this is a tank at 60# total weight.