Super Cornwall 1.0

ClaudeJ1

I had a Marantz 8B on my Khorns. When I spend a day with PWK in Aug. of 1985, I spotted one in a glass cabinet when he gave my wife and I a personal tour of the museum. I said: "How can you put this amplifier in a Museum, when I'm currently using one on my Khorns?"  His reply: "It's a very good amplifier."

I'm assuming yours is similar in performance with more power?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Randyh said:

for some , 4 ohms or 8 ohms is like chinese , it is all the same  until you look closer  take a Heresy 1-2  -16-12- 8ohms -heresy 3-4 /4ohms /CW-LS-B-KHORN - 4-OHMS

8 ohm vs 4 ohm

By TFR1, January 23, 2018 in Technical/Modifications

A K-22 woofer, an original Heresy 1 woofer is closer to 11 ohms.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2020 at 6:17 AM, Dufftj said:

Hey everyone,

So here goes my first post

Thought I'd let you know about a great deal on the kappalite lf3015-4 that I happened to come across.

139 dollars each at Avatar speakers!

I guess they used them in a base cab that they no longer sell and are selling what they have at a reduced rate.

Needless to say I've ordered 2 and will be putting them into my 80 vintage cornies. 

Tim

So how did those woofers work out? Good sound??

On 2/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, Alan G said:

My understanding of impedance is at the sophomore level at best.  He added a new woofer; the Emenance Kappa 15A (8ohm). The bass is tight and ample, but it doesn’t extend as low a I expected. I can get a realistic double bass, but I think it’s missing some of the deepest chords.  I think it’s an easier load on the amp than it should be and that’s softening the low register response. 

The Kappa 15 A is an 8 ohm woofer. You need a 4 ohm woofer like the one I recommend, or get Bob Crites Woofers, either one, but the C version (cast frame) is better and it's not much more than the stamped steel version.

29 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The Kappa 15 A is an 8 ohm woofer. You need a 4 ohm woofer like the one I recommend, or get Bob Crites Woofers, either one, but the C version (cast frame) is better and it's not much more than the stamped steel version.

I think they sound good Claude, but I haven't had a real good audition just yet.  Still tweaking the mid to the woofer.  I have the mid DE85(107db) attenuated 10db right now and now sure I like it or not yet.   Eminence has the 3015LF 4ohm rated at 96db and the 8ohm version rated at 98.7db. Seems it should be other way around. Do you know what the sensitivity of the 4ohm 3015 really is?

Hi Claude, I swapped  from Emminace Kappa 15 c on my 74 Cornwalls to the Kappa lf 3015-4 on your recommendation and am very pleased with the additional bass. The midrange didn't lose any detail and the low end had a lot more impact. I don't have a subwoofer and the change was a big improvement.  I was given a set of La Scalla base bins with no drivers or crossovers and I'm considering trying the 3015-4' s in them. I've got the Kappa 15c extra from the Cornwalls. Do you think buying another set  of 3015-4 for  the La Scalla's   would be worth the additional expense? thanks for your expertise George

19 minutes ago, GeorgeK said:

I've got the Kappa 15c extra from the Cornwalls. Do you think buying another set  of 3015-4 for  the La Scalla's   would be worth the additional expense? thanks for your expertise George

Get another Kappa 15C for the LaScalas. I have found no better driver and it's priced lower than when I first discovered it years ago.

Can the 15c be used as a sub ? Or is it best in a horn cab ? Avatar speakers still has them on sale and was thinking of making a sub or horn mid/low horn cab out of two of them. And what plans of horn cab would be best as a diy box build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Can the 15c be used as a sub ? Or is it best in a horn cab ? Avatar speakers still has them on sale and was thinking of making a sub or horn mid/low horn cab out of two of them. And what plans of horn cab would be best as a diy box build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's best in a horn cab. 15C's are my favorite driver for bass and midbass, but NEVER for a Subwoofer. 

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Get another Kappa 15C for the LaScalas. I have found no better driver and it's priced lower than when I first discovered it years ago.

I take that back the driver from AE (Acoustic Elegance) are better, but they cost 4-5 times more money, for a little better performance. Worth it to some, but not to me.

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Acoustic Elegance TD15M-4A...................................or no A.................either way, you won't like the PRICE.

this one in 4ohms -----  I guess it is the quality build  that is superior , it looks really amazing  , I was looking for a  used TAD woofer , but not sure they have 4ohms versions

-http://aespeakers.com/shop/td/td15m/

TD15M-back-1.png

17 hours ago, GeorgeK said:

Hi Claude, I swapped  from Emminace Kappa 15 c on my 74 Cornwalls to the Kappa lf 3015-4 on your recommendation and am very pleased with the additional bass. The midrange didn't lose any detail and the low end had a lot more impact. I don't have a subwoofer and the change was a big improvement.  I was given a set of La Scalla base bins with no drivers or crossovers and I'm considering trying the 3015-4' s in them. I've got the Kappa 15c extra from the Cornwalls. Do you think buying another set  of 3015-4 for  the La Scalla's   would be worth the additional expense? thanks for your expertise George

Went back and read this again, so you have a PAIR of 15C's............perfect. They are one of the very best drivers you can use in a LaScala. Max. midrange detail. For COMPLETE bass response you should be using a SubWoofer with LaScalas no matter what driver is in there. The Kappa 15C driver has a smaller Xmax than the LF3015-4. Yet at only HALF of it's Xmax, the Kappa 15 C in a LaScala will be putting out around 120 db sound pressure, so no worries there. Since the LaScala is weak around 400 Hz. it needs the 15 C for greater mid detail and handoff to the K400/K55. It gives you the "tightest" bass possible with great midrange. In fact I prefer LaScalas with PROPER subwoofers to a pair of Khorns with no subs. It's much more PHASE coherent!

The reason I chose the LF3015-4 for the Cornwall is THAT box needs a higher Xmax woofer since it's NOT horn loaded!! Horn loading reduces Cone Excursion by 6-8 times, so when you are not horn loading a driver, you need that 6-8 times greater Xmax to do the same job (at higher Inermodulation Distortion of course).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1