Add ir remote adapter to old stereo

dtr20

Has anyone added an infrared sensor adapter in between their preamp and amp? I would love to do this, but I don't want to degrade the signal. I've seen this on Amazon and it had good reviews. I wanted to put this in between my McIntosh c28 and my mc2505.

MCM CUSTOM AUDIO 50-8394 LINE LEVEL VOLUME CONTROL IR REMOTE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX82KH2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_74lyBbE82E3C4

22 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Has anyone added an infrared sensor adapter in between their preamp and amp? I would love to do this, but I don't want to degrade the signal. I've seen this on Amazon and it had good reviews. I wanted to put this in between my McIntosh c28 and my mc2505.

MCM CUSTOM AUDIO 50-8394 LINE LEVEL VOLUME CONTROL IR REMOTE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX82KH2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_74lyBbE82E3C4

I actually have that exact same unit but using it in a non audiophile application.  The TV in my bedroom has horrible speakers.  I bought a pair of Klipsch Reference bookshelfs and powered them with a chip amp.  The 1/8" jack coming out of the back of the TV has a fixed output and I needed a way to control the volume without getting out of bed every time I wanted to adjust it.  I put this between the TV and the amp and turned the amp all the way up.  It works perfectly.  The remote feels cheap but works fine.  It has up, down and mute functions.  The only downside is the blue LED on front.  It's so bright that I needed to put a dot of black paint on the end to help dim it.

• 2 weeks later...

Which piece are you trying to add remote volume to?  I had remote volume added to an older Carver C-1 preamp with all of the updates that works awesome.  But, I haven't used it since buying a new Onkyo P-3000R preamp last year thus elimination the 3 separate DAC's I was using with the C-1.  It does work like a champ, though.  I believe it used Sony TV codes and it came with a remote, too, which didn't work that well (the remote) so I programmed an older Dish Network remote which was more durable.

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Which piece are you trying to add remote volume to? 

I basically want my McIntosh c28 to have an infrared remote capability. When I'm listening to a variety of music, sometimes the levels change and it gets annoying when I have to get up and adjust the preamps volume every time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 10:08 AM, dtr20 said:

I basically want my McIntosh c28 to have an infrared remote capability. When I'm listening to a variety of music, sometimes the levels change and it gets annoying when I have to get up and adjust the preamps volume every time.

the CR-7 is like a mini-pre amp that does exactly that, plus can switch between it's sources.  and doesn't degrade the signal. 

there's one on eBay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McIntosh-CR7-and-HR7-Remote-Infrared-Remote-Control-System/283045403127?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649