Any one else running a Technics SL1200G?

jwgorman

I had run a Thorens TD320 MKIII since ‘93 and just got the new Technics SL-1200G. It’s a huge upgrade to my ears. I’m running an AT33PTGII and I have to use a 3mm spacer and another mat to get the arm low enough that I get a slightly tail-down VTA.  But man, it sounds good through the Cornwalls and my Luxman 550AXII. Amazing. 

14C2A065-5006-405E-BFAE-48300D58F40C.jpeg

• Like 3

Any reason why you want the rear of the tonearm slightly down? Got the same cart you have and it is by far the best I've ever had. Love it and won't let go of it.

Been an Audio Technica consumer for almost four decades, never happy with any other cart. Their transparency, timbre and the detail and separation of everything is similar to the reason I love Klipsch speakers. 

That turntable looks very similar to the AT-LP5 I had for a while last year. The chunky heavy base was excellent so were the feet. The pre would not totally disengage though and caused hum with the external pre amps I tried for improvement, not at all sure about your tt though.

Nice Gear!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Djs have always loved them for a reason. 

Well, although it looks like the old 1200s, this is actually an audiophile table. Not that the older 1200s couldn’t fill that role, but the SL1200G was redesigned specifically for hifi. 

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Any reason why you want the rear of the tonearm slightly down? Got the same cart you have and it is by far the best I've ever had. Love it and won't let go of it.

Been an Audio Technica consumer for almost four decades, never happy with any other cart. Their transparency, timbre and the detail and separation of everything is similar to the reason I love Klipsch speakers. 

That turntable looks very similar to the AT-LP5 I had for a while last year. The chunky heavy base was excellent so were the feet. The pre would not totally disengage though and caused hum with the external pre amps I tried for improvement, not at all sure about your tt though.

Nice Gear!!

Thanks man. So, I’ve been playing with everything adjustment I can with this table and, oddly enough I prefer the slightly tail-down sound and VTF set to 2.0g.With the stock mat and the arm all the way down, it was still tail up and I didn’t care for that. An LP gear mat on top of the technics mat got me to parallel. The spacer got me to tail down and so far I prefer this sound as it seems to be thick and still detailed. This is a highly subjective thing obviously. 

I have only discovered the wonders of AT cartridges in the last 8 years or so. Before the AT33 I was running an AT150MLX and it was great but The AT33 is just a cut above in refinement in my opinion. Prior to that I was running Shure V15s and Ortofon MCs. I’m hearing all sorts of nuances I’ve been missing forever! 

• Like 1

Guest wdecho
6 hours ago, jwgorman said:

I had run a Thorens TD320 MKIII since ‘93 and just got the new Technics SL-1200G. It’s a huge upgrade to my ears. I’m running an AT33PTGII and I have to use a 3mm spacer and another mat to get the arm low enough that I get a slightly tail-down VTA.  But man, it sounds good through the Cornwalls and my Luxman 550AXII. Amazing. 

14C2A065-5006-405E-BFAE-48300D58F40C.jpeg

Wow, all I can say is nice system. I noticed class A in your choice of amplifier. I just spent $250 on a Fluance with cartridge and I think I have something special. I have to run with little dogs. 

The 150MLX  - - - nuff said?

I discovered everything wonderful said about that thing online and wanted and got one of the leftovers last year. Was not compatible with that AT-LP5 (lack of adjustaments). When I got the latest tt went straight to the AT33PTGII. Beside taking two months to get it off the cc, I have had a big smile since.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Nice Gear!!

Well, although it looks like the old 1200s, this is actually an audiophile table. Not that the older 1200s couldn’t fill that role, but the SL1200G was redesigned specifically for hifi. 

Thanks man. So, I’ve been playing with everything adjustment I can with this table and, oddly enough I prefer the slightly tail-down sound and VTF set to 2.0g.With the stock mat and the arm all the way down, it was still tail up and I didn’t care for that. An LP gear mat on top of the technics mat got me to parallel. The spacer got me to tail down and so far I prefer this sound as it seems to be thick and still detailed. This is a highly subjective thing obviously. 

I have only discovered the wonders of AT cartridges in the last 8 years or so. Before the AT33 I was running an AT150MLX and it was great but The AT33 is just a cut above in refinement in my opinion. Prior to that I was running Shure V15s and Ortofon MCs. I’m hearing all sorts of nuances I’ve been missing forever! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

The 150MLX  - - - nuff said?

I discovered everything wonderful said about that thing online and wanted and got one of the leftovers last year. Was not compatible with that AT-LP5 (lack of adjustaments). When I got the latest tt went straight to the AT33PTGII. Beside taking two months to get it off the cc, I have had a big smile since.

How do you run your AT33PTG, with respect to VTA? 

2 hours ago, jwgorman said:

How do you run your AT33PTG, with respect to VTA? 

Level was what I read was correct.

I understand you tweaking that if that is the sound that you want. This is my first MC, prior to that had an AT440MLB on that AT tt.

Paired the new tt & cart with a decent preamp and I've said many times and here once again the analog is the star of my rig! With the prior tt & cart digital was, hands down.

The ort that came stock on my new Pro-Ject was atrocious and any other bad adjectives you want in my opinion.

I can not comprehend that some like those things. Saw a post about some LP sounding bad on the sidebar when I logged in, diagnosed it already ort blue is at fault. Need to post it more diplomatically than that though.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Level was what I read was correct.

I understand you tweaking that if that is the sound that you want. This is my first MC, prior to that had an AT440MLB on that AT tt.

Paired the new tt & cart with a decent preamp and I've said many times and here once again the analog is the star of my rig! With the prior tt & cart digital was, hands down.

The ort that came stock on my new Pro-Ject was atrocious and any other bad adjectives you want in my opinion.

I can not comprehend that some like those things. Saw a post about some LP sounding bad on the sidebar when I logged in, diagnosed it already ort blue is at fault. Need to post it more diplomatically than that though.

One more thing to still beat on the AT/Technics drum.

The chassis on this Technics is identical to the feet/plynth (chassis) of that AT-LP5 I had for a couple months last year.

Hands down, two thumbs up whatever you want to call it the isolation and stability of these tts is phenomenal.

I don't think you could do better without engineering some of the stands and setups with often exotic materials that I've seen on the www.

For these tts you don't need that, couldn't put it on top of a washing machine with six pair of jeans in it but d*mn they are rock solid.

My $$ Pro-ject has three feet, it's a f'n joke!   Glad I already had a pretty solid stand!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Used to DJ with these (1200MKII) as a teenager in the 80s and also used them for listening at home. 

The lid/cover is removable which is a good idea as they can catch quite a bit of feedback at higher volumes.

Give it a try. Might improve the sound quality too.

I picked up two SL1200MkII tables from a pawn shop, and amazingly, they both work fine. Sold one and the little mixer that came with them for my total cost of $350. So I got an SL1200MkII for $350.

I finally cleaned it up and bought an Ortofon Red, and it is very, very nice for the price. The first few hours it was awful, but all of a sudden all was good. My table came with no cover, but that's ok... I will get one some day.

@BernardLVH  What do you do in Shenzhen? My wife taught in Nanchang for eight years, so we passed through Shenzhen quite a few times.

Bruce

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Sounds best this way...took a spacer and a second mat to get that slight tail down. Not sure what to make of that. 

Nothin' :cool:

Unless you could have done a simple VTA for the same result!

If you like the sound more and you adjusted the cart downforce to allow for the shim..... you just improved the setup!!

• Like 1