Forte III vs Modded Forte II

AHall

Shakey,

Not to steer from the original post, but I would like your opinion on the differences between the Modified Forte 1 with ALK crossovers. I have a pair of Forte 1's with the ALK crossover, and would like to know the differences that you noted and in what setting was this comparison made. Any excuse to start saving for a Pair of Forte III's is fine by be, I love the lambs wool cover look, and that walnut veneer is amazing, totally retro 50's look. All comments welcomed on this subject, thanks in advance.

Vandyman

Here is my opinion now after they have been playing nonstop since I got them..... They are just about perfect EXCEPT they have an irritating frequency in the lower treble between 2 to 3 k that adds harshness and silibance to some recorded material that really bothers my ears...i thought that would disappear with break in, but it has not.   The modded Forte 1s have nowhere near as smooth and dynamic a midrange or the bass tightness and punch that the new fortes IIIs do.   The highs I woudk give a slight nod to the Forte III other than what was mentioned.   This is in my room with my gear of course.   I conformed this in multiple amps and speaker cables as well.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AHall said:

Has anyone had the pleasure of comparing the new FIII to a pair of FII with new caps and Ti tweeter diaphragms? Interested in how close the 2’s could get. 

A true comarison would be a moded forte II with new caps, TI Squawker and Tweeter as I have done on my II's.  Although I was unable to compare side by side  with a III, it is extremely close.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with comparing without the Ti mid.  Many of us would choose Phenolic over Ti for midrange.  May even be why Westcoastdrums says they have what sounds to be a resonance or something in lower treble.  That is right in the ear's most vulnerable area.  Either way, it would be interesting to hear about all the different upgraded versions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Nothing wrong with comparing without the Ti mid.  Many of us would choose Phenolic over Ti for midrange.  May even be why Westcoastdrums says they have what sounds to be a resonance or something in lower treble.  That is right in the ear's most vulnerable area.  Either way, it would be interesting to hear about all the different upgraded versions.

The forte III has a titanium diaphragm for squawker and tweeter..  Am I missing something?

Regards,

John

2 hours ago, John Chi-town said:

The forte III has a titanium diaphragm for squawker and tweeter..  Am I missing something?

Regards,

John

This is a comparison.  No you didn't miss anything just if you don't like the sound of TI, perhaps you want to compare the phenolic to the Ti.  Convince yourself which is better.  Why is only using Ti in both drivers a true comparison?  When the Forte II was released, I compared the Forte I to the Forte II.  Different horns, different woofers, different almost everything.

Forte III to Forte II, almost everything is different between the two even if you compare Ti mid to Ti mid.  Quite a bit of difference in the drivers and crossovers.

Compare to your heart's content.  Any of the above, including comparing to a Chorus will produce an eye opening experience.

15 hours ago, vandyman said:

Shakey,

Not to steer from the original post, but I would like your opinion on the differences between the Modified Forte 1 with ALK crossovers. I have a pair of Forte 1's with the ALK crossover, and would like to know the differences that you noted and in what setting was this comparison made. Any excuse to start saving for a Pair of Forte III's is fine by be, I love the lambs wool cover look, and that walnut veneer is amazing, totally retro 50's look. All comments welcomed on this subject, thanks in advance.

Vandyman

The Forte III has more midrange detail and high frequency extension. The bass is tighter and more extended, but this is not as pronounced. It sounds like  you would think, a more modern sounding Forte, but without losing what made the Forte great in the first place.

I listened to these speakers in my dedicated room which is 15' wide by 26' long. The Forte I was positioned ~12" from the back wall. The Forte III didn't need to be as close to the wall to produce very good bass, around 18-20" The amplifier used was a Line Magnetic 518ia.

Shakey

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

Here is my opinion now after they have been playing nonstop since I got them..... They are just about perfect EXCEPT they have an irritating frequency in the lower treble between 2 to 3 k that adds harshness and silibance to some recorded material that really bothers my ears...i thought that would disappear with break in, but it has not.   The modded Forte 1s have nowhere near as smooth and dynamic a midrange or the bass tightness and punch that the new fortes IIIs do.   The highs I woudk give a slight nod to the Forte III other than what was mentioned.   This is in my room with my gear of course.   I conformed this in multiple amps and speaker cables as well.  

I have Forte I with Crites Ti tweeter diaphragms and Crites crossover.  I had a new set of Forte III for awhile.  The bass is not an issue because I run ENTEC subwoofers.  However I experienced the same complaint you have with the 2-3Khz harshness on the FIIIs.  My Heresy IIIs don't seem to have this problem.  I much prefer my FIs over the FIIIs I had.  I have never heard Forte II speakers however.   I suspect I would like them as they do not have Ti midrange.   I even tried Ti midrange diaphragms in my Forte I speakers and put the original phenolic diaphragms back in after two days of misery. 

• Like 1

The heresy IIIs are exceptionally smooth with solid bass output, very dynamic mids and excellent highs that are a touch on the soft side in a good way IMO.  I was expecting the Forte IIIs to be very similar with killer bass.  They have killer bass but that 2 to 3 k frequency makes me cringe at times on far too many recording.  The heresy III and the Cornwall III never had that harshness to them. The heresy III is still the winner there 

A friend demonstrated to me (in his home) that at the distance I have them from each other-about 10 feet, they sound best not toed in at all.  I was very reluctant to believe this, but after a lot of experimentation (and differences in relation to the wall), I have agreed.  They do seem touchy about positioning, but I'm sure content (well at least momentarily) with the III's at the moment.

• Like 1

Immediately I can tell @dbomberger and @Shakeydeal are correct.   18 inches from back wall and firing dead ahead has MUCH improved the sound.   These Forte III is so much more sensitive to tiny adjustments than any other klipsch speaker I have owned.  Thanks guys. I wouldnt have thought to fire a klipsch horn speaker straight ahead.  I have often down that with other brands of speakers with great results.   Dalis love that. 

So far the minimal playing I’ve done with the stock forte 2s are pretty horrible. Some of the weakest bass I’ve heard. Of course I know it’s a placement and room issue. I’ll be excited to upgrade the tweeter diaphragms and replace the caps so I can enjoy them for years. 

6 hours ago, AHall said:

So far the minimal playing I’ve done with the stock forte 2s are pretty horrible. Some of the weakest bass I’ve heard. Of course I know it’s a placement and room issue. I’ll be excited to upgrade the tweeter diaphragms and replace the caps so I can enjoy them for years. 

Something is certainly wrong somewhere the forte II's should not be weak in bass at all either room, positioning or possible equipment matching problem.

• Like 1