Forte III vs Modded Forte II

AHall

They could be too far from a wall. Or entirely different. My father had a similar issue with his chorus II speakers. They had no bass in this particular room no matter how they are placed away from the wall, toed in, etc. Then he sat down to listen to them and the bass was way too much. If he stood up, the bass went away. He still has more to play with.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, dbomberger said:

A friend demonstrated to me (in his home) that at the distance I have them from each other-about 10 feet, they sound best not toed in at all.

Exactly, you can play with moving them a little closer and a little further apart, sideways in front of your listening position to generate a unified sound, that is seamless with some imaging.

We auditioned 2s about 6ft off the back wall 15ft wide by 22ft est room. Both forward facing about 10ft apart. Awesome is the word. Amps were MC 30s, very highly regarded, first half watt as good as anything out there.

I assume Klipsch went through the design and updated the tech to match their current state of the art using the original design concept as the baseline, there are always trade offs.

If the 3 is only as good as the 2, it is a world class sleeper.

In case I missed it, what are you using for test tracks?

My fav is smooth female vocal and may be a piano, if both sound accurate then good.

If you have some tracks where the female vocal turns it on,

if she sounds like she is sitting in your lap blowing in your ear,

don't tweak your system any more.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Moderators
On 8/11/2018 at 9:54 AM, Bubo said:

I assume Klipsch went through the design and updated the tech to match their current state of the art using the original design concept as the baseline, there are always trade offs.

If the 3 is only as good as the 2, it is a world class sleeper.

If I remember correctly same size cabinet, also 3 way with a passive but all new drivers and crossovers .

About the only comparison I have done between the 2 and 3 models were a couple weeks ago. A friend and forum member and wife(Roger Chase, Indyklipschfan) was here for a week. I only use the Forte's for Ht as the 2 ch speakers are much better, we use the F3 for front L&R, F2 for center and three F 2's for rear, plus a nice sub. Roger had the idea to switch one of the mains with the center which was a good idea, it was much better, it was easier to hear the dialog in a movie with a overall clearer sound which is helpful for a center channel. Being old and half deaf :( I realized i need to evidential need to get another 3 model for center, before the f3's it was 3 F 2's across the front. We moved the 3 back to its place but it reminded me how good it would to have 3 matching across the front again with the newer model, one day I hope.

Roger said he heard the Forte 3's at Pilgrimage and thought they were good but he was not overly impressed, but after a few days here listening he said he wanted to change his opinion and he was really impressed with 3. 

To be very honest I don't want to set them up for a serious comparison for one reason, I have a VERY hard time finding the words to describe the differences I am hearing, and explaining it and wouldn't want to mislead anyone.

I am not a trained or critical listener, I only know when I hear the sound I like when I hear it, and want to leave it at that and enjoy the sound/music. I have heard people say they tend to listen to everything critically and tend to pick it apart which sometimes makes it harder to enjoy the music or movie, I just enjoy and leave the studying to others. 

Until a few weeks ago when we gave our daughter a set of the original Forte's, we had all three versions here, I'm not the person to give descriptions of the different sounds of each model. But I will say each version was progressively better with the biggest jump in quality going to the Forte 3 easily.

All just another opinion of course 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, dbomberger said:

A friend demonstrated to me (in his home) that at the distance I have them from each other-about 10 feet, they sound best not toed in at all.  I was very reluctant to believe this, but after a lot of experimentation (and differences in relation to the wall), I have agreed.  They do seem touchy about positioning, but I'm sure content (well at least momentarily) with the III's at the moment.

Mine are exactly 10 feet apart and 18 inches from rear wall.  my listening position is 15 feet from speakers.  NO TOE IN.  I agree  with you wholeheartedly on no toe in.  Yet everything in this game is subjective.  Perhaps speakers without a tractrix  mid.  When toed in any position that "horn honk"  always seems to be just around the corner, or ever so slightly present.

Regards,

John

24 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

Mine are exactly 10 feet apart and 18 inches from rear wall.  my listening position is 15 feet from speakers.  NO TOE IN.  I agree  with you wholeheartedly on no toe in.  Yet everything in this game is subjective.  Perhaps speakers without a tractrix  mid.  When toed in any position that "horn honk"  always seems to be just around the corner, or ever so slightly present.

Regards,

John

Mine are very close to the distances you mention (within inches).  I do have mine 8" inches from the wall after much experimentation. As you say it's all subjective.  Good luck.

• Like 1