bass poping

Mila1924

Hi,

I have a marantz 2252b receiver and forte 1's, and every time I turn off my receiver, I hear this pop sound,  I turned the speakers around and basically when i turn off the receiver the back speaker thumps or pops one last time, in addition, if the bass is high, the pop or thump is louder than if the bass is all the way down.  is that normal?

thank you,

I had an Adcom 555II that used to do that on turn on, the woofers would suck in almost fully.  I believe there is typically a circuit that removes this transient during on/off.  Sounds like yours has seen better days.  You should get the receiver serviced.  Likely has some caps that are on their way out.

• Thanks 1

Guest wdecho

Some amplifiers do have a small thump at turn on or turn off or both. Usually not a problem and not heard on conventional speakers. If your amp has not done it before and now does then it is something going on inside the amplifier that needs work. An example is the new TPA3255 class D boards many here are using and building amplifiers with. It does have a pop on turnoff, natural and no big deal. There are ways to deal with it and one Chinese board seller has eliminated the thump on turn off but I personally do not see it as a big deal. As some say 'knocks the dust off woofers.'  My old Crown DC300A was another example with a significant turn on turn off thump that did get worse with age. Lasted 30 years with no problem for amp or speakers until it just died. I would check the DC offset on the amp. Easy to do with multimeter set to DC. Just check output terminals at amplifier when warmed up. Should be less than 50mv of DC. I would not fret if under 100mv. 

I found another blog that suggested turning off the receiver first, then the turn table and that made a huge difference, can barely hear it now. Idk why that would make a difference, but it does, and my receiver did the same thing with my last pair of speakers, do it isn’t something that is progressively getting worse. Thanks for all the feedback

• Like 1