Jubilee 4,380 day update...

Coytee

Nice to know!

Where are you located?  Active, passive?

If you have a spouse.....  does she know what's going on and their (massive) size?  We don't want to hear about her going into apoplectic shock when she sees them for the first time!

• Haha 2

BTW: I recently re-engineered all the Xilica PEQs, crossover filters, and delays for my Jubs (using TAD 4002 HF drivers) via lower order Bessel crossover filters.  The flatness of the amplitude, phase and group delay curves is much better than the settings that I've used over the past 4-6 years, and much flatter than those published here on the forum.  

Of course...the proof of the pudding is in the tasting and I have to say that I've never heard the magic of these already notable loudspeakers like I'm listening to right now.  Once again, I'm going through my good reference recordings and multichannel movies/music recordings.  I have to say that there is something special that happens when the flatness of response in both amplitude and phase is even made flatter (like Tom Danley and Floyd Toole have both said in the past). 

For Jub owners out there running DSP crossovers--I recommend this exercise highly.  You won't be disappointed with the results. 

Chris

427626376_Jubswith18dB-octBesselXovernewPEQsspectrogram.thumb.jpg.2b5c5d5910e1d250a410c93760731756.jpg

• Like 1

1) Yes, 2) no. 

The plot says 18 dB//octave--as indicated above.  The trick is to set the delays and polarity correctly.  I found that a little trial-and-error works quite well (IIRC, I wound up with about 4.7 ms on the HF channels, inverted polarity on the bass bin channels). Note that this is specific to the drivers used.  If you're using JBL HF drivers with a different distance to the acoustic center vs. frequency, you'll need to change the delay values.

The improvement in sound quality is really worth your time.

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Of course...the proof of the pudding is in the tasting and I have to say that I've never heard the magic of these already notable loudspeakers like I'm listening to right now. 

Chris

Wait, don't you need to do a double blind test...

😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Is that a file that can be posted or shared? I still have what are essentially Roy's stock values (as close as they approximate in the Xilica)

Yes, I can post the settings but there will be a delay.  I have to repair a damaged USB socket connector on the Xilica first. Bummer...

IIRC, it only takes two negative-gain PEQs on the bass bin channel--no boosts.  I cross over to the two TH subs at 40 Hz, i.e., one in each corner on the front wall behind each Jub. 

Chris

22 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yes, I can post the settings but there will be a delay.  I have to repair a damaged USB socket connector on the Xilica first. Bummer...

IIRC, it only takes two negative-gain PEQs on the bass bin channel--no boosts.  I cross over to the two TH subs at 40 Hz, i.e., one in each corner on the front wall behind each Jub. 

Chris

What about the TAD channels??

My memory fades...but it took a few PEQs on the TADs to get them flat to within  ±2 dB all the way up to 20 kHz (±1 dB above 1 kHz) .  I need to connect to the Xilica to verify what I'm currently using.  There will be a delay.

Chris

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Chris

Is that something that was due to the Xilica having a temperamental/fragile socket?  I was wondering because I tend to not be mindful of being gentle pushing USB connectors into and out of any device and I was wondering if I should be taking a bit more care with that.

Is the Xilica still your No. 1 choice crossover for sound, specs, etc.  Have you run across anything you wanted to compare it to, or that you felt might be better but was significantly more expensive?

Travis

I tripped over a USB cable while trying to answer a phone in a hurry.  I'm getting a longer USB cable, too, so that event doesn't occur again.  It's not a Xilica issue.  Those USB sockets are standardized parts.

Edit:  I would recommend the Xilica to anyone as my preferred DSP crossover.  The sound quality is the best that I've heard so far.  But that includes the ElectroVoice, Yamaha, Behringer, and miniDSP crossovers thus far.  I haven't heard a Lake or anything in that price class (about double the price or more).

Chris

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I tripped over a USB cable while trying to answer a phone in a hurry.  I'm getting a longer USB cable, too, so it doesn't occur again.  It's not a Xilica issue.  Those USB sockets are standardized parts.

I kind of figured it might be that, been there and done that with a laptop or two.

I find the user panel on the Xilica unit, VERY arcane and to be blunt....difficult to use.

Now, as I say that, I guess I should admit that I've never adjusted it with manual in hand.  Given how intuitive I found the EV unit to be, I simply jumped into the Xilica.  My mistake

Fortunately, once something is set, it tends to stay put (again, for me) so I don't have to mess with those controls and on the rare event I might....  I've put the software on my wife's laptop so I can use that interface instead of the front panel of the unit itself.

I think that everyone that I know uses the Xilica XConsole application on their computer to adjust and visualize the Xilica settings.  It's a very easy application to use, IMO.

The EV Dx38 is very easy to adjust from the front panel, and I never used the EV computer application to adjust it: my computers haven't had RS-232 connections since the late 1990s. But I've got my last remaining Dx38 in storage right now, as well as the Yamaha SP2060--which also is easy to program from the front panel and I've also never used a computer application to set it. 

Chris

16 hours ago, Coytee said:

Nice to know!

Where are you located?  Active, passive?

If you have a spouse.....  does she know what's going on and their (massive) size?  We don't want to hear about her going into apoplectic shock when she sees them for the first time!

Located in South Eastern PA..     

Xilica XP-4080 Processing

Spouse actually gave me the green light to get these things.  Have been building a dedicated music room in the basement so they will be out of sight from the main  part of the house :)

The deal with DSP crossovers is that you can import an .xdat file into the Xilica and be done (just like one-size-fits-all passive crossover loudspeakers).  Most people that own DSP crossovers and bi-amp/tri-amp use this method, I find.  It takes no more time or expertise than swapping out upstream electronic components or using a music server. 

If you want to try out other configurations (i.e., configurations done by someone else), it takes a few seconds to hook up, download/synchronize and then stow the USB cable.  People with a bit more discerning ears usually try this out and are pleasantly surprised by the results.

If you want to try your own hand, you can buy a USB calibration microphone (I recommend a UMIK-1) and download/install REW or other freeware room measurement application, then you have full visibility and control over what you've got in-room.  There are a few people that go down this path--like myself--but the payoff is by far the highest. 

With Jubs--a loudspeaker of considerable hi-fi capability--I think that you'll find that you're not swapping out upstream electronics like preamps and amplifiers, etc. nearly as much as other loudspeakers.  Instead I think that a few tweaks of the DSP crossover using the microphone and REW, and you'll quickly figure out that most people are trying to use amplifiers and preamps to do what the Xilica or any other DSP crossover does in spades with much more visibility and control...and much more economically over time.  The sound quality is actually higher in my experience using a DSP crossover of good quality because you're directly coupled to the acoustic drivers in the loudspeakers with your amplifiers.   You can still do all the electronics stuff that thrills you, including tube electronics if that's your gig, without constraint.  But you're also going to have a lot more information and control over just "plunk-and-play" passive crossover loudspeakers.

Chris