Jubilee 4,380 day update...

Coytee

2 hours ago, MisterVego said:

Boy, i hope this active crossover stuff is easier to do once i have it in front of me that what i'm reading..   Seems a little daunting......

I thought the same thing a year ago. With XConsole it's easy. I'm no expert by any means but I'm pretty good with it now. I never messed with active crossovers before the xilica and i didn't have the slightest clue what I was doing, with help from Chris I was able to get my Jubilee's sounding great. I've since used it for two way mwm's, tuba subs, and most recently for 4 way KP600's with great results. Just use XConsole and not the front pannel on the xilica.

Chris, I would be interested in trying out those new settings you came up with using the Bessel Crossover.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

If you want to try your own hand, you can buy a USB calibration microphone (I recommend a UMIK-1) and download/install REW or other freeware room measurement application, then you have full visibility and control over what you've got in-room.  There are a few people that go down this path--like myself--but the payoff is by far the highest. 

Chris,

Per your recommendation I did purchase the UMIK-1.  It's just sitting in the box awaiting for the arrival of the new speakers.   Looking forward to playing around with the settings.

I'm assuming i can keep the Roy's preloaded settings saved and then mess around creating another preset?

When doing measurements, do you measure one speaker at a time or measure both at the listening position?

• Like 1

Up the 30 presets can be stored locally on the Xilica and recalled from the front panel easily, and an unlimited number of presets can be stored on your computer that can be downloaded in seconds. 

I always recommend saving the presets that you're using first as a named preset within the Xilica so that you can easily compare or return to it. 

The named and stored presets can be overwritten later if you find that you never them.

Always use one loudspeaker at a time when measuring--with the microphone at mid-loudspeaker height looking up at 45 degrees...between one and two metres in front of each loudspeaker with plenty absorption on the floor between the mike and the loudspeaker under test.  Even Audyssey and other "room correction software" do one at a time.  (I'm not sure where the notion of measuring more than one loudspeaker at a time came from.)  You can think of your subwoofers as just another "way" on your loudspeakers (i.e., 3-way, 4-way, etc.) and measure with the subs on. But I find that I only need to measure the subs with each front loudspeaker once after everything else is done.

Chris

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AHall said:

I don’t know what day I’m on, but they aren’t going anywhere either. 

--- not sure of the day either, I'm retired. It's Friday - right??!

Oh, those days, Jube days. I'd say I'm around 800 + -. Yeah, they still sound pretty good --- 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 7:19 PM, Coytee said:

Is that a file that can be posted or shared?

Here are the settings for the TAD-4002/K-402 channels that I'm using, along with the delay (in the left-hand side values):

1267986179_18August2018Bessel18TADHFchannelsscreenshot.JPG.2f65a487e8b094dae28ee10e6b3a5460.JPG

...and the same thing for the bass bin channels.  Of course you will probably find that these will need to be changed for your particular room, but the basic values will be a good starting point and the values for the crossover filter. Note the reversed polarity of the bass bin channel due to the Bessel 18 dB/octave crossover filters:

1865794325_18August2018Bessel18bassbinchannelsscreenshot.thumb.JPG.e678634ef2b0dfa8348ed43caedba597.JPG

Jubs with 18 dB-oct Bessel Xover new PEQs spectrogram.jpg

1773833051_Jubswith18dB-octBesselXovernewPEQsSPLandphase.thumb.jpg.ff202bd0b9debdc3463466cdafa0f36a.jpg

The ripples in amplitude around 300 Hz are a function of the bass bin itself.  Here is a screen shot of the bass bin only amplitude and phase (min phase and total phase) with no PEQs applied where you can see those ripples:

1269725292_JubBassbinonlywith450HzBessel18dB-octnoPEQs.thumb.jpg.57f4dd7bf3b976d92754f71077e80496.jpg

I can also configure an xdat file that I can forward for TAD TD-4002 two-way Jubilee users on the forum.  Note that you need to tell me how you've configured your output channels to input channel connectivity, e.g., mine are default:

input 1 --> output 1 bass bin,

input 1--> output 2 HF channel,

input 2--> output 3 bass bin,

input 2--> output4 HF channel.

..but yours might not be configured this way.

Chris

• Like 1

By the way, I finally got my replacement USB socket connectors today--it took 3 weeks from Amazon (on a slow boat from China--quite literally).  I think that I'll use Mouser Electronics next time...

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, Md5150 said:

I thought the same thing a year ago. With XConsole it's easy. I'm no expert by any means but I'm pretty good with it now. I never messed with active crossovers before the xilica and i didn't have the slightest clue what I was doing, with help from Chris I was able to get my Jubilee's sounding great. I've since used it for two way mwm's, tuba subs, and most recently for 4 way KP600's with great results. Just use XConsole and not the front pannel on the xilica.

Chris, I would be interested in trying out those new settings you came up with using the Bessel Crossover.

CHRIS has done MAGIC with my setup, too !  (...using his Bessel X-Over settings)

Thank You CHRIS, ... I am forever in debt to you.

YOU've rocked my world !

(My 3rd Jube , center channel, will be here in a few days)

TTYS-

Craig LeMay

• Thanks 1