RF-82 II Used or New no receipt?

Jason M

I have been waiting for the rf82 ii to go back on sale and I am worried they are not going to as stock is limited at most all Frys. A guy is selling a set that I know he got at Fry's a couple months ago new in unopened box but will not provide the receipt for me to have her warranty. Want 600 cash for them. There is another guy that said his brother bought them from Frys in December and his brother passed away in June and he has those in a box for 400 cash. He said he will let me test them and that there is not so much as I scratch on anything. Which route would you go? What should I look for when I hook up the receiver to test them before I purchase them

Edited by Jason M

What specific should I be listening to or looking at when I plug them up and test them out before I take them? I know buzzing or hissing from the speakers anything else I should look for? Is there a way to see if the speakers are fatiguing

Use Balance control and rotate left and right.   Make sure that both tweeters have the same output level.  If one is softer than the other, it is damaged.  If you smell any metallic burning smell from Port or tweeters regardless of if they are working, I would pass.  Woofers I highly doubt would have anything wrong with them.   

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Call the guy and talk to him and see what Kind of vibe you get.  Ask him to test them and make sure the tweeters play evenly in volume and work perfectly.   If he or she is not willing to do so or gives the impression that questions or testing is a hassle, pass.   

He said they were his brothers who got them in december on sale, but passed away. Said he does not have the receiver to use to check them, but he knows 100% they are like new. I did some cerifying, his brother did pass. They are back in original box with matching serial numbers

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Take a receiver with you, your phone and a 99 cent store headphone to dual RCA cable.  Test them for yourself.   Never take anyone's word for it.  I have been screwed like that before.  

I absolutely am bringing my receiver speaker wire Etc. He more than welcome to me too. He said he even if I get them home and set up for a couple weeks and don't like them i could bring them back. I will update you in the morning on how it went. I think 400 would be a great deal if they are as good as he acts like they are

1 hour ago, Jason M said:

He said he even if I get them home and set up for a couple weeks and don't like them i could bring them back.

The Seller sounds cooperative and has given you all the right answers. I don't sense any red flags and I am usually very skeptical.

I say go over there, give him the $400 and throw the boxes in the back of the car.  Let us know how you like them.  B)

• Like 2

I am unfamiliar with tags, but would there be a manufacture date on the speakers that I should check for when I get there? In other words he says his brother bought them in December is there a way to check to see if they are a recent run or earlier

Got them, they sounded absolutely perfect. He even had the receipt for them he had found from Fry's where they were purchased in December. There was one blemish however and it had happened it was obvious when he was moving the boxes around sometime recently. There's a small press on the cabinet on the left side front corner but in my room where it will be it will not even be seen. He knocked off some more for that so I am happy camper with them

• Like 4