Bob's 600Hz horn

Wait a minute!  Klipsch said it was too expensive to replace the K-600 when they lost the mold.  This was their "excuse" for using the k-700 in the Cornwall III.

So a small independent company in Arkansas was able to do it?  I smell a conspiracy.

Maybe Klipsch could fix the design with the Cornwall IV and use Bob's horns.

I just discovered this post - and Bob's 600hz horn. 

All joking aside, what would it take to modify my CIII's to use this horn - it's always the one thing that bugged me about the CIII.

Obviously the front baffle needs to be cut bigger or replaced all together.  New crossover to bring the mid and woofer down to 600hz.

Will the titanium drivers in the CIII handle 600hz?  or new mid drivers as well.

Curious to see if/when someone carves up their CIII's....

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, Ouachita said:

I just discovered this post - and Bob's 600hz horn. 

All joking aside, what would it take to modify my CIII's to use this horn - it's always the one thing that bugged me about the CIII.

Obviously the front baffle needs to be cut bigger or replaced all together.  New crossover to bring the mid and woofer down to 600hz.

Will the titanium drivers in the CIII handle 600hz?  or new mid drivers as well.

Curious to see if/when someone carves up their CIII's....

If all you want is the advantage of the larger horn / lower frequency the simplest and probably better way would be to find a pair of the k-61 Tractrix horns from the Quartet / forte II / Chorus II line the titanium driver in the C-III will bolt right on. As far as crossover changes go would probably have to look at the Cornwall II schematic from the mid '80's and swap parts accordingly.

I'm actually a little confused as to why Mr Crites would go through the trouble of having this horn made, I'd assume there's a whole pile of them out there with a number of people converting their Cornwalls to Cornscalas?

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Ouachita said:

Wait a minute!  Klipsch said it was too expensive to replace the K-600 when they lost the mold.  This was their "excuse" for using the k-700 in the Cornwall III.

So a small independent company in Arkansas was able to do it?  I smell a conspiracy.

Maybe Klipsch could fix the design with the Cornwall IV and use Bob's horns.

I believe the lost mold was for the plastic k-601 used in the Cornwall II and original Chorus, not the k-600 metal horn .

The Cornwall II crossover won't work in a modified Cornwall III with a 600hz horn.  The upper cutoff in a Cornwall II relies on the natural rolloff of the phenolic diaphgram of the CII drivers.  The CIII driver, with its titanium diaphgram, the rolloff is a much higher frequency which would cause a significant overlap with the tweeter.  Plus, we don't know if the CIII driver can actually get down to 600hz.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:19 PM, Ouachita said:

The Cornwall II crossover won't work in a modified Cornwall III with a 600hz horn.  The upper cutoff in a Cornwall II relies on the natural rolloff of the phenolic diaphgram of the CII drivers.  The CIII driver, with its titanium diaphgram, the rolloff is a much higher frequency which would cause a significant overlap with the tweeter.  Plus, we don't know if the CIII driver can actually get down to 600hz.

Good points. My take on it, after speaking with Bob on the phone, is that he spent big money refurbishing the old Klipsch mold to manufacture that horn, which is selling well overseas. The latest Cornwall, with basically the Heresy mid horn, works well because, inherently, the beam angle of the woofer matches up well with the beam angle of the horn, otherwise summarized as "matching polar responses." This is an important aspect of speaker performance from may manufacturers when they determine Xover points.  I happen to believe in 300 Hz. Crossovers, with bigger horns and drivers is the way to go, but I digress (and those don't fit in a Cornwall anyhow). You need a SYNERGY approach to make things sound better, and you can't forget the driver part of it, since it's the primary transducer.