1974 Klipschorn KDFR's forsale. Need some cosmetic love

rik1138

Hello!  New to the forum, but have visited off and on over the years...

I have a pair of Klipschorn's I'm looking to sell.  These are 1974 KDFRs that I have owned since about 1987.  They haven't been used in about 20 years, just sitting in my parents entertainment room, acting as furniture.

They had some chips and nicks on them when I got them, so I was in the process of stripping the wood with the intent of refinishing them.  The top part is all stripped, just needs a little sanding to make it perfect then stained or veneered.  The wood parts are currently 'disassembled', just being held together by gravity in the photos, but it's just a matter of a few screws to put them back together...  The lower parts I never got to.

They do work fine (well, did 20 years ago...  I no longer have an amp to power them at the house... But any potential buyer is welcome to bring an amp and fire them up!)

All internal parts are original (probably could use new caps in the crossover... :) ).

We are moving out, selling the house, so they have to go unfortunately...

The annoying part is the timeline...  I basically have to sell them Aug 10th-13th, or I'll have to put them in storage (which I'm trying to avoid!).

I have pictures of one of them, the other has crap stacked in front of it so I'll have to add pictures of that one later, but the condition is pretty much the same.  The serial numbers are within a digit or two of each other.

I can post more pictures on Aug 10th when I'm back at the house.  (I'll pull them away from the walls and got some behind photos, etc...)

They are located in Houston, TX (Seabrook specifically, think NASA if you know the Houston area, we're right next door...)

Looking to get $1000 for the pair.

Khorn_1.jpg

Khorn_2.jpg

Khorn_3.jpg

KHorn_Crossover.jpg

KHorn_Tweeter.jpg

KHorn_Label.jpg

Edited by rik1138

I believe they are more-or-less the size of normal Khorns:

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Klipschorn-Spec-Sheet-v04.pdf

I can measure them precisely next weekend, but if you can accomodate what's on this spec sheet, you can accomodate these...  :)

50 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Absolutely!

It looks like I am doomed. I moved to a new house with windows built very close to each corner.

2 hours ago, rik1138 said:

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Klipschorn-Spec-Sheet-v04.pdf

I can measure them precisely next weekend, but if you can accomodate what's on this spec sheet, you can accomodate these...  :)

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, the size and corner placement is not working in my house currently.

I guess I am back to the hunt for Cornwalls as initially planned.

1 hour ago, toulcaz said:

It looks like I am doomed. I moved to a new house with windows built very close to each corner.

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, the size and corner placement is not working in my house currently.

I guess I am back to the hunt for Cornwalls as initially planned.

Keep looking, be patient, a pair will show up. Texas is rich with nice Klipsch speakers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Budman said:

no veneer - no grill cloth

There is grill cloth on the single pic.  It looks pretty good to me but you say it was not OEM?  I didn't know that.

I thought the OP did a nice job of being honest about the condition of the speakers and the reason he needs to move them.  That goes a long way to a potential buyer in a positive way.  I love projects and the price is right, but Houston is a long way from West Virginia so I'm not a potential buyer but I bet there are people looking at this one. 

Am I right, @Maximus89:D

GLWYS

There is grill cloth on the single pic.  It looks pretty good to me but you say it was not OEM?  I didn't know that.

I thought the OP did a nice job of being honest about the condition of the speakers and the reason he needs to move them.  That goes a long way to a potential buyer in a positive way.  I love projects and the price is right, but Houston is a long way from West Virginia so I'm not a potential buyer but I bet there are people looking at this one. 

Am I right, [mention=62903]Maximus89[/mention]?  [emoji3]

GLWYS

Haha I wish man. Bad timing. Spending a pretty penny on some Dean crossovers for my Chorus II. I certainly would LOVE to have those as a project though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Haha I wish man. Bad timing. Spending a pretty penny on some Dean crossovers for my Chorus II. I certainly would LOVE to have those as a project though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean cranked out my LS networks and they sound totally unreal.   :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Dean cranked out my LS networks and they sound totally unreal.   :)

Yeah man. I'm so stoked.  I'd be dying inside right now to miss out on a pair of Khorns at that price, but having my Chorus II which i already love and have such an attachment to as is - to only get that much better has me in such a good mood!

Actually the first time i heard any upgraded crossover was when i did a shoot out with my stock La Scala Industrial Split with the Al-3 to @Born2RockU's La Scala with Dean AA's.  The difference blew me away. I told Craig i went home depressed. You never really know what you're missing until you hear something side by side.  I've been enjoying my Chorus II for so long now, but that one experience with the Dean LS's made me realize this is worth it and it was time anyway for new caps so i can only have incredible results. My Chorus II bone stock were also over there in the shoot out with his LS and RF-7 III's.  LS won hands down with most material, but the Chorus were still impressive enough that i didn't feel like i was missing TOO much. In fact with deep vocals, i thought the Chorus II sounded much better.  I also find the Chorus II less fatiguing. The RF-7III highs won hands down. Some of the best i've heard from a Klipsch. Incredibly smooth and detailed, but overall and musically, i liked my Chorus II better.  Hopefully new high quality caps bring those tweeters to that level and overall the speaker to another level.  

*His KHorns were there too with Dean networks.  They were just on another level. Just not fair. Now he's got me waiting in anticipation to go over there to listen to his new Jubilees that he says make Khorns sound so tiny. 

Here's a photo from the last time at Craigs

IMG_2868.JPG

• Like 3

On 8/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, rik1138 said:

I have interest for garage speakers. I don't quite understand the "more-or-less" size of KHorns...please explain. Please post pictures of the other one. Any history on how decorators came to have grill cloth? Any chance you could meet in Victoria?