A Room Acoustics Issue?

Peter P.

15 hours ago, Bubo said:

This is what we are attempting to reproduce in our living rooms, or at least I am.

K-Horns, LS or Klipsch industrial theater speakers can stand toe to toe and punch with the ALTEC Speakers of Legend.

Our living rooms will never have the acoustic qualities of a theater, I just can't bring myself to carpeting the walls.....maybe someday.

Try though they may, there is now way around the cabinet size, and the size of the room.

A Chihuahua can't go toe to tow with a Rottweiler.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/altec.html

no_screen.jpg

image.png.9220ed0cf50a5b4758d1355dc43aa0ea.png

Imagine 5 of these -- a total of 20 - 15" woofers behind the screen for early 70 mm Todd-AO presentations (surround was a switchable 6th channel in this set-up; in some theaters the switching was automatic, triggered by a subsonic tone on channel number 6).  These are JBLs, commissioned by Ampex, who, in turn, was commissioned by Todd-AO.  In addition to the woofers being horn loaded, there was also a port.

image.png.0542e0c230bfbc660d1f16a83cbb5537.png

I would never carpet a wall, but strategically placed absorbtion and diffusion can improve things greatly.  I think our 4,243 cu.ft. Home Theater, with Khorns, modified Belle center, sub and surrounds now comes pretty close, proportionally, to the speakers shown above in a 1,000,000 cu.ft. theater, but the recording has to be up to snuff.  Most Blu-rays are, but not all, by any means.   We could think of our HT as Rottweiler equipped, but actually, it's more like St. Bernard outfitted, because the sound is so warm and friendly

• Like 2