Can't find a clear answer, help. (speakers + amp)

AlexKiDD

So all this week i've been trying to find out about under powering speakers. There is a ton of info about over powering speakers but not much on the dangers or issues of under WATTing, <-- not a real word, speakers. I bought a pair of R-14Ms that fit well within my system specifications. I want to buy a pair of R-15Ms but the RMS is higher than the RMS of my AVR. Will it be OK or should I avoid purchasing these speakers and buy another set of R-14Ms?

Here are the details:

Small/Medium Room

DENON AVR-S730H 75w - 165w MAX

Klipsch R-15M 85w - 340w MAX

If I can get a clear answer from a couple of you fellow Audiologists it will clear up questions about additional speakers I plan on purchasing.

Thank you in advance!

The only time under powering your speakers can be an issue is if the amp is driven to clipping. You'll know when it happens because you'll hear the clipping distortion. As long as you don't drive the speakers to a point where you hear distortion, you can run an amp whose rated output is lower than what your speakers are capable of handling.

You will be fine unless you are trying to run your speakers at their limit regularly.   If you use EQ,  cut what you don't want instead or boosting what you do want and you should be fine.  Just monitor temp on receiver while getting familiar with it if you plan on running the speakers hard (in which case a larger pair of speakers would be a better idea anyhow). 

• Like 1

My understanding is if you clip the amp too much, you run the risk of blowing a Tweeter (typically, verses woofer)

I know during my college years, I ended up replacing 2-3 diaphragms in my EV Interface tweeters (ST-350) which as I understand, was the same 'motor' as the Klipsch K77

You don't want to go there if you can avoid it.

If you are the typical listener, you will want reasonable bass.  Considering the bookshelf speakers you mention may be a little shy of deep bass, the typical remedy is to add bass.  The bass addition takes many times the normal amount of power thus will drive the amplifier out of it's comfort zone (called clipping).  Much of the time this can be heard though not always.  Typical result is fried tweeters or less likely, blown woofers.  So the under power isn't really an issue.  The under powering ends up in over exerting on your amp which fries things.

Best way to deal with this is as Westcoastdrums states, don't add but subtract.  Buy enough woofer for the room size or a subwoofer, to avoid the typical stresses created by over taxing your main amplifier.

The only time under powering your speakers can be an issue is if the amp is driven to clipping. You'll know when it happens because you'll hear the clipping distortion.

Yeah, you'll definitely know it because it will sound really nasty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Since your new member I think if your buying new you should call Cory he is a dealer and a forum member here. If your looking for new AVR I would also look at Accessories4less.     Dont worry about the limits posted on the speakers Klipsch are so efficient you will be okay for normal listening. 

MetropolisLakeOutfitters                         

Cory's forum sign.

Wow, you guys are awesome! I hope this post will show up on a Google search so other people can get all this great information without endless searching. I am a average audio guy with a small to medium entertainment room. I have a older Klipsch SUB-10 that delivers great picture shaking bass. I just upgraded my equipment to a Entry Level 7.1 system.

I just purchased a pair of R-15Ms after reading all the replies. I'm glad that I will be safe and enjoy great sound for years to come or until I upgrade again to a Mid Level system.

Thanks again to everyone who replied! Rock on!

• Like 1