Proper care for Raw Birch Klipschorns

refried

I recently acquired a pair or RB K-horns, the former owner had no use for them and put up an ad for a free set of large speakers, I couldn't resist and they were real. They've darkened over time and may have been oiled in the past but they haven't had any care in a long time. What's best to use on these, Danish oil? a feed and wax, or just wax?  I originally wanted to veneer them but I like the unfinished look for now.

P7070536.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, Looks like I'm going to go with the Howard's Feed and Wax, I didn't want to oil them because I've gotten used to the unfinished look and now like it. I plan on adding a top and sides to the top section and will look for a nice piece of birch to match. I still have to build a false wall for one  but they sound incredible, They replaced a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20's and a M&K subwoofer that I was very happy with and being powered by  a Sansui G-8700DB that I've had for over 35 years. It has never sounded better. I have an AU-555A I thought about using since I've barely hit 1 watt on the power meters but the big G sounds great and will stay. 

One label has faded (but is still readable) but the other was covered by a piece of paper taped over it protecting it from the sun.

P7070535.JPG

P7070534.JPG

Edited by refried
added picture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, John Warren said:

Looks like the bottoms have seen water.

They were on a tile floor, I think the housekeeper got a little wild with the mop. There's no other signs of water anywhere else, but there is a chip or two also missing, they may still get a nice veneer to improve the WAF.

free speakers.jpg

Edited by refried
added picture
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, refried said:

Thanks for the replies, Looks like I'm going to go with the Howard's Feed and Wax, I didn't want to oil them because I've gotten used to the unfinished look and now like it. I plan on adding a top and sides to the top section and will look for a nice piece of birch to match. I still have to build a false wall for one  but they sound incredible, They replaced a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20's and a M&K subwoofer that I was very happy with and being powered by  a Sansui G-8700DB that I've had for over 35 years. It has never sounded better. I have an AU-555A I thought about using since I've barely hit 1 watt on the power meters but the big G sounds great and will stay. 

One label has faded (but is still readable) but the other was covered by a piece of paper taped over it protecting it from the sun.

P7070535.JPG

P7070534.JPG

Yep, like my La Scalas, efficient as all getout!

And I've got a McIntosh MC2105 driving my La Scalas! I can practically launch this HOUSE into the stratosphere! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Like 2

On 8/4/2018 at 2:22 PM, refried said:

former owner had no use for them and put up an ad for a free 

21 hours ago, John Warren said:

Looks like the bottoms have seen water

? How could someone complain

For free.... 

I have seen used klipsch products...

Look like they been to battle....

$800-1200  price range...

So what part of the country did you

Score the klipschorns ?

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

So what part of the country did you

Score the klipschorns ?

I found them in northwest Washington on San Juan Island. The owner asked the caretaker to bring them to the dump, the caretaker thought they may have some value because they might be antiques and put them up for free. They were advertised as a free set of large speakers and I spotted them that night after them being posted for 7 hours, but I figured they were long gone and sent a message anyway. The next morning she replied saying I could pick them up that day. Luckily the ferry schedule was cooperative and I was home by 5, having to only waste an hour in Friday Harbor with the tourists.  Living on the islands you get used to the ferry not working with your schedule.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, refried said:

I found them in northwest Washington on San Juan Island. The owner asked the caretaker to bring them to the dump, the caretaker thought they may have some value because they might be antiques and put them up for free. They were advertised as a free set of large speakers and I spotted them that night after them being posted for 7 hours, but I figured they were long gone and sent a message anyway. The next morning she replied saying I could pick them up that day. Luckily the ferry schedule was cooperative and I was home by 5, having to only waste an hour in Friday Harbor with the tourists.  Living on the islands you get used to the ferry not working with your schedule.

Great story ! For free the ferry could of been The titanic !

total cost

$30.00  Ferry fare, 5 hours and a 20 mile drive.

Even had time to get a burger and stop at the lavender store for my girlfriend (she didn't buy the story about them disappearing into the corners, but after hearing them they can stay).We're staying in this place temporarily while we look for something else to buy or build, having a room with corners will now be important.