Receiver Settings and a Recommendation

Jason M

2 new RF82ii fronts, RC62ii Center, RS-62ii for the surrounds. 

Audyssey on my old Onkyo set the the fronts at 40, the surround at 50htz.

Should I up those? I do have a sub, though just a BIC F12.

Also, Denon 3400h, any yeses or nos on replacing my old TX-SR608 with it for 450 refurbished and warranty? My 608 has been a rock star, BUT my Front High Right and Zone 2 Right channels are not working.... if not it, what? 500 or less. 

Edited by Jason M

Im long way from expert.....but I set my fronts to large. I didn't like the auto set up on my Integra so I let it set up the basic then I fine tuned it to my liking. The Integra will let you set each source to different settings. I dont run a sub so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. I got my AVR from accesories4less looked brand new with 2 year warranty. You might call Cory if your in market for new stuff also. MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jason M said:

Denon 3400h

Looks like a nice unit ... one item to be careful about :D  Most newer AVR's have HDMI "pass-through" to pre-amp and zone outputs ... but NOT all HDMI's are passed through ... was disappointed when I found this in the "small print" when I upgraded my AVR (only HDMI1-3). :( 

I have a similar setup. 

If I'm not mistaken my fronts set at 40 and imo it sounds wider and more natural than 80. And LFE at 120.

See if you can try a x3400 somewhere first. After owning two Pioneers I'm not impressed with x2400h.

It's ok, but imo Pioneers had more alive and realistic sound.

Also Denon is overly confident about their  WPC rating.

"though just a BIC F12"

I have a F-12 as well and never wanted to replace it. Considering the price, the F-12 is one awesome sub.

The new Denons have bench tested extremely well, especially the 3400 and up. 

I have had 5 Pioneer receivers with I.C.E amps and D3 amps and I loved all of them. Ran across anopen box X-3400 and decided to give it a shot. I love the ease of use the Denon provides and the sheer power the Pioneer receivers produced. I believe all the big brand, upper end, receivers these days offer very good overall performance. People will defend what they own, it’s human nature, but the good news is that you have quite a few very good options out there. 

17 hours ago, K5SS said:

People will defend what they own, it’s human nature

well, I'm a Denon owner and not defending it. :)

Could you post a link to a x3400 test? 

x3400 is a bit more powerful than my x2400 (105 W vs 95W in 2-ch @ 8Ohm), not sure if 10W would make a noticeable difference though.

X-series is Denons upper line and even though the x2400 is the second cheapest receiver in line, it should perform according to the specs. Another issue is running hot and apparently it's normal for Denons.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:24 AM, ricktate said:

Im long way from expert.....but I set my fronts to large. I didn't like the auto set up on my Integra so I let it set up the basic then I fine tuned it to my liking. The Integra will let you set each source to different settings. I dont run a sub so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. I got my AVR from accesories4less looked brand new with 2 year warranty. You might call Cory if your in market for new stuff also. MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Without a sub you are correct to set them to large.