Decware amps with K402

AHall

I still have one of their original amps, Zen. It was nothing special. It was a real 1 watt SEP stereo amp. You do not get a lot of output from a triode connected EL-84 in Single ended mode.

The later versions are better and more expensive. If you want a handmade US built tube amp that is affordable that are not many options anymore. 

I have a 5 watt zen (el84) on the way, I have wondered about decware for a long time myself, I have a stash of very nice EL-84 tubes that I have been looking for an amp to use them with. I will post impressions I should get it this week. Going to have somewhat of an amp shootout to find out which best suits my setup then a massive sell off of anything that does not meet my needs.......................Fun :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Schu said:

^ very cool... let us know your thoughts.

Did you buy it new or on the secondary market? Any upgrades?

-- unless Joe placed a new order with Decware several months ago, its probably used. Their waiting list is generally about 60-90 days. 

Later model Zen have better output transformers and bias the input tube differently. Suspect they outperform mine. It was 399.00 around 2000. Sometime around then. 

Did not keep up with the 300B amps I had. I think all the Zen amps are 1 - 1.5 watts. They called them 5 watts, but that is a real stretch. 

With most Klipsch Heritage speakers that works. I need to get mine out and play it. It has been a long time. It is like fine wine aging in the attic.

The cosmetics have improved over the years too.

• Like 1

Guest wdecho

No experience with those mono's or K402 but I did build from the schematic  the stereo SS power supply version a few years back. It has been awhile since I listened with it so I dragged it out and hooked it up to my LaScala's to refresh my memory on the sound. You can expect excellent sound from one of Deckert's builds with the best warranty one can ask for as long as he lives. I was listening with one of my SS Class A amplifiers when I decided to hook the Zen triode to my speakers and it was equal to if not better sounding. I love those output tubes, 6P15P, and a friend of mine tested them to some of the best EL84's and they were equal or better than many of the higher priced NOS ones. 

Guest wdecho
5 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

Did not keep up with the 300B amps I had. 

I do not know of any tube amplifier that will best a well made 300B SET. It would be the last one of the many amplifiers I would have part with if necessary. Drag your Decware out as I just did and give it a whirl. 

8 hours ago, joessportster said:

I have a 5 watt zen (el84) on the way, I have wondered about decware for a long time myself, I have a stash of very nice EL-84 tubes that I have been looking for an amp to use them with. I will post impressions I should get it this week. Going to have somewhat of an amp shootout to find out which best suits my setup then a massive sell off of anything that does not meet my needs.......................Fun :) 

Cincymat is running a Rachel

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

9 hours ago, Schu said:

^ very cool... let us know your thoughts.

Did you buy it new or on the secondary market? Any upgrades?

Used of A-Gon, has upgraded caps, I will follow up,

I currently have the Dynaco st70mk 2 EL34,  35 WPC, The welborne drd300B at 9 WPC, & Coming this weekI have the Deckart Taboo EL84 at 5 WPC, and The Cary CAD45SE at 2.5 WPC, My single driver DIY speakers are supposed to be about 95 DB 1 watt 1 meter, My goal is to take 1 of the amps run my digital source wide open and my amp wide open directly connected (no pre-amp)  and have 90ish DB at my listening position. That is supposed to offer the best possible SQ for my gear. I have found Direct connection does sound superior to my current pre-amp but I am forced to cut the output on the digital which I am told can degrade the source signal. 

We Will See....................

I think Deckart offers a program where you send them the amp and he goes over it and offers a warranty for a fee, However after that you are right getting new is beetter taking the warranty into account.  I would have to see a 50% savings to consider it a deal and be ok with losing the warranty. Of course as mentioned above that warranty is Deckarts lifetime not necessarily yours or mine :) 

Guest wdecho
On 8/5/2018 at 8:44 AM, AHall said:

Does anyone have experience with using decware tube amps driving k402’s? I’m seeking out a few tube monoblock options for my Jubilees. 

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84UFO3.html

If you have not already decided give some consideration to this one for less money. http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

You will have more authority in the lower regions and the EL34 family of tubes are outstanding sounding. I have built two of the SET EL34 amplifiers and love the sound that will equal much more expensive amplifiers. Below are the tubes you can play with in this amplifier for a different sound. I personally like the 6L6 sound with my two amplifiers. You can buy the Russian NOS equivalent for peanuts. This is the Decware amplifier I would buy if I were not a builder of amplifiers. Anyone on this forum looking for a SET amplifier that is American made need not look any further. Decent reasonable price as well. 

Quote from text " EL34 output tubes may be substituted with the following: KT77, 6550 KT66 KT88 6L6s, 7027 and with a socket adapter, 807. "